Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Thoughts on aftermarket installs

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 09:32 PM
jwilhelm
2nd Gear Member

Default Thoughts on aftermarket installs

Hi everyone, here’s some of my thoughts on aftermarket installs, especially “expensive” items. I just received some very nice items from a company called Agent 47 out of Carlsbad CA; however, the idiosyncrasies involved with the parts I purchased and the installation of them are not discovered until one has paid for and received the items. I purchased their front upper grill insert, their lower grill insert, and ram air kit. After reading through the installation instructions for these items I discovered that I must cut off pieces of my fog lights and drill new holes to install them in the upper grill. The lower grill insert involves drilling four holes in my brand new GT bumper fascia. The ram air kit is not legal for street use. The price on these items was around $950, a lot of money for stuff that should have been designed to “snap right in,” at least in my thinking. I guess the people that conceived and designed these items have the “chop, cut, rebuild” mentality. This installation also involves putting in a wiring harness that has one cutting stock wires as part of the fog light installation. I guess I’ve decided that even though I paid all that money for these pieces, I’m not going to install these items on my car because I don’t like the jerry rigging that I’ll have to do to make everything work. I’ll install my new GT bumper fascia with a Bullitt grill from another vender. This will be a very clean and simple install with no cutting or surprises involved. Below are some pics of the items involved. One pic shows my car in stock form. One shows the painted GT bumper with the Agent 47 items. One other pic shows the new GT inner fender liner, GT foam insert, and assorted screws and push pins needed for the GT items installation. One photo is of the Bullitt grill and I through in a pic of the rear of the car with the new Stainless Works exhaust system. Take care, Jack.
Attached Thumbnails Thoughts on aftermarket installs-121_2191.jpg   Thoughts on aftermarket installs-121_2190.jpg   Thoughts on aftermarket installs-121_2193.jpg   Thoughts on aftermarket installs-121_2192.jpg   Thoughts on aftermarket installs-bullitt-grill.jpg  

Old 12-20-2008, 01:19 AM
BigGameHunter589
2nd Gear Member

sorry buddy that sounds pretty hardcore.. if you do want to go with the chop and rebuild method maybe a shop could do it if you aren't comfortable, seeing how you already have the parts and such?
Old 12-20-2008, 01:31 AM
Charlie321
2nd Gear Member

I'm with you, brother. Anytime you have to destroy parts to install new parts that's a badly designed kit, especially when there are plenty of other companies that design their parts to fit the existing mounting holes and surfaces. The only exception in my mind is any addition to the surface of the body, like chin or rear spoilers, or side and hood scoops. Drilling and bolting is usually the best way to go with these, even if a lot of body add-ons don't require it. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:24 PM
cobrabobby
2nd Gear Member

Welcome to the world of "modern street rodding". Agent 47 stuff is
usually top quality stuff, a bit pricey, in many a view though. If you
are going to "chop, cut, rebuild", be prepared to adjust, redesign,
and modify. All part of the process. You can't sell ingenuity, creativity,
and adaptability with this stuff. Sorry you're disappointed, but let the
buyer beware and prepare. Charlie321 is correct, though, there are
plenty of well designed, snap on parts out there.
Your alternative route is a good, sound one. Sell the Agent 47 stuff and
move on.
Bob
Old 12-20-2008, 03:33 PM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

Thats some good looking stuff..The thought of having to modify for it to fit though is a little unnerving. Good luck with whatever you do
Old 12-20-2008, 04:14 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Agent47 grills were designed with the racing theme in mind.
If the grill just 'snapped' into place like the OEM grill, it could
also 'snap' out during hard driving such as racing.
The ram air not being 'street legal' goes back to the 'our products
are designed with racing in mind' thinking of the Agent47 designers.
As to not knowing what you are buying before its paid for, well....
Most all quality components have their install guides in PDF
format online for free download and review before purchase.
Did you not ask the forum about how the installation was on
their Agent47 products if so installed?
I will agree that splicing and tapping into the factory harness
just for fog lights as I did it all OEM style and function in my
non-fog light equipped V6 without modifying any factory harness
and it all looks and performs as OEM.
I will not jerry rig my stang either.
I also have zero Agent47 parts.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:24 AM
Devil Wolf
3rd Gear Member

how would you see if you installed the ram air kit? doesnt it remove the headlamps?

betting thats why its not street legal.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:04 PM
southernmustangparts
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by So_Cali
Thats some good looking stuff..The thought of having to modify for it to fit though is a little unnerving. Good luck with whatever you do
We have been selling their products for a while now and customer love them once they get them installed!

We have a sweet deal going for the Agent47 Retro Race mirrors if anyone is in the market...

Agent47 Retro Race Mirrors

$219.00 w/ FREE SHIPPING in the continental US

This is the style that belongs on every 60's retro inspired Mustang. Installing these mirrors capture the classic look and aerodynamic goodness of the original racing mirrors of the 60's but with full power.

These mirrors use the stock mounting locations and connectors for a quick and hassle free installation. Mirrors come with new glass and backing plates.

These 2nd generation mirrors have arrived with new UV stable resin. No longer is paint required on the mirrors. They will come to you in a beautiful black satin finish that can be installed without paint. If you do choose to paint them, there will be no texture to tediously remove like the stock mirrors.

Please note: Mirrors sold without motors, We recommend using your stock motors

$219.00 w/ FREE SHIPPING in the Continental US

To check them out visit us at www.southernmustangparts.com

or

Clcik here http://www.southernmustangparts.com/...ors-p-308.html

Thanks Ken