Need exhaust help. - Page 2 - MustangForums.com

Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Need exhaust help.

Old 06-04-2005, 12:17 AM
huffhuff
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Need exhaust help.

i love my true duals with dynomax mufflers. we cut out the y pipe to make true duals. sound is great and it really peps up the car at higher rpms for passing. the shop has weld on rubber hangers with long rods to come cose to factory stock. very easy to make a template and cut out the bumper. even if done ragged it doesn't show looking at it from the rear.
Old 06-04-2005, 02:39 AM
cheysdaddy
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jjpony

Hey cheysdaddy, I am wanting duals on mine as well. What does the H crossover do? Does it deal with the back pressure that Tres talked about? Any help is appreciated. Jim
yeah and it sounds alittle better too. You can also put in an X the x gives alittle more hp at higher RPM's but you sacrifice some sound. From what I understand the hp difference isn't that much. I had the muffler shop just make my H pipe. I think you have to buy an X although I sure it can be cstom made too. It only cost me $80 to mine installed including making the H but I had both sets of pipe back to the mufflers and the mufflers. here's a pic

[IMG]local://upfiles/12656/15EB93E48178416C97EAB5DB7B1FC7A9.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-04-2005, 03:51 PM
jjpony
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info. It helps me out a lot to know what to do. Jim
Old 06-04-2005, 07:54 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

==Tres, can you put up some pics when it's complete? I'm seriously considering doing this too. ==

I took some pictures this morning of the mod's to the valance, muffler hangers, etc. It's at the shop right now, I just got a call that it's ready so I'm heading off to pick it up. Will post the pics later. I stopped by an hour ago and they were about halfway done, they did NOT "Y" it in like I asked them to. They went all the way up to the left side headpipe instead because they were concerned about the proximity of the Y to the driveshaft. So I'm going to end up with true duals and an angled crossover. I hope the true duals doesn't affect performance too much.
Old 06-04-2005, 09:22 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

I'm back, but my wife has my camera in her car. The duals are on and look great! I actually like the look better than the GT because the tailpipes stick well out of the valance, looks mean The duals as far as I can tell didn't hurt performance although I can't say it helped it either. Seems about the same. That's OK with me, I mainly was doing it for the looks. Right now it's only a little louder than it was with just the right side GT muffler, but it took about 200 miles for the right muffler to "season" so I expect the sound will improve as the left side muffler breaks in. The harmonic balancer had to be removed, but I don't notice any funny vibrations other than the normal 2100 rpm drone. I'm very happy with it, I couldn't stand just having one tailpipe in back on a Mustang

Cost ended up being as follows:
- Pair of GT mufflers off of eBay (Cascotech)- 80.00
- GT left side brackets (x2)- 70.00 (email Kevin at Clevenger Ford [email protected] cheap prices and fast shipping)
- Left pipe fabrication- 150.00
- V6 that sounds like a V8- priceless