MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   V6 S197 General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-s197-general-discussion-48/)
-   -   05 v6 upgrade decisions (https://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-s197-general-discussion/507213-05-v6-upgrade-decisions.html)

bdog95 12-30-2008 12:09 AM

05 v6 upgrade decisions

I have a 2005 V6 5spd stang. It has 53k miles. CAI, exhaust basically stock. I want more power. The car has been wrecked and rebuilt and has a salvage title. It is a great car to me but because of the title I can not get much for it so a trade up to a GT is not really feasabile at this time

I am considering three upgrade paths. Please give me your thoughts.

1) Keep V6 and get X charger. Max horsepower around 300-350. Cost about $4500. Pros - easiest to do Cons - not much room to upgrade from here

2) Swap out for a 4.6 3V from a wrecked s197. I have seen motors with 25k complete with all acessories for 2k. From what I hear I would need
Engine $2000
ECU $500
8.8 rear $650
3650 trans $500
Clutch $300
Total $3950

Pros: good base with 300hp and open to GT bolt ons or FA from here
Cons: major surgery to car

3) Swap for a 2004+ 5.4 3V from a F-150. Motors can be had for $1500. Cost roughly the same as (2).
Pros Unique, more torque
Cons major surgery, problems with details on getting motor in as it was from a different vehicle, non standard application

viperrmk 12-30-2008 12:14 AM

NUMBER 3 DO NUMBER 3......

I know there are a couple of guys around here doing that so maybe they will chime in to help you out.

bdog95 12-30-2008 12:26 AM

I have to admit #3 sounds the coolest but when you step back it really looks like a lot more trouble for not much gain. It seems #2 would be a no brainer, but #3 would be tricky and you would have the same HP and a little more TQ.

project85 12-30-2008 02:09 AM

how bout V6+Turbo?

bdog95 12-30-2008 02:20 AM

I have thought about that as well. The turbo and supercharger are roughly the same cost and have similar limitations on the v6.

It seems either a turbo or sc on the 6 would be the fastest of the three options now, but the 6 would be more or less maxed out. If I go to the v8 and want more power in a year I can add a sc or turbo to it.

rygenstormlocke 12-30-2008 08:33 AM

Turbos and SC's do not have the same limitations on this motor. With the turbo, you can safely go high 11's to 12 flat if you have a conservative tune, and allow for proper cool down of the motor. The 4.0 is a cast iron block, and suffers from heat soak.

A few more things to note on your options:

1. Where did you get the 350 number?
2. Don't forget a drive shaft for this one.
3. You will also need to budget for a custom upper intake (stock one wont fit under out hoods). If you get lucky, you can get someone to fab one up for 1500 bucks, or go with the MMR piece for 2800 bucks. Don't forget motor mounts as well.

What are your goals with this car? That will help you decide what the best route is.

bdog95 12-30-2008 11:13 AM

Thanks for the reply. Rygen I have read a lot about your car and what you did to it. The power it was putting out with the 6 was incredible.

There is a local mustang shop that specializes in performance stuff. From what I hear they are very reputable. We stopped by yesterday and they had about 15 mustangs they were working on. I was picking their brain on my ideas a little but and they told me that they have put turbos on the 6 before and it worked well, but they feel 350 hp is a safe limit before you start tearing stuff up. I actually mentioned your car and its power to them and they were impressed but they also wondered how long it would last.

Number 3 is looking to be out. Aside from the extra hassle factor the intake cost is going to make this one not realy cost effective for me. Looks like I am leaning more towards number 2 but 1 is not ruled out yet either.

What are my goals with the car? I want it to be reliable and streetable first. We want to be able to take weekend trips out of town with the car, etc. I really think I would be happy with the power of the turbo for now, but I am worried in a year or whatever I would want more and then what options do I have.

I am figuring on spending about 5k now to upgrade the car. Looks like all these options are in the price range now. Honestly if I stopped there I think the 6 with a turbo is the way to go but what if next year I want to spend another 5k. How much more could I squeeze out of the 6 vs putting a turbo on the 4.6 if I went that route now?

svastano 12-30-2008 11:25 AM

I would go with the turbo or the SC. After that you will get to a point that it is not a good streetable car anyway. So why even consider more mods.... If you go the GT motor there is more room to go and still be streetable but how much do you want to spend compared to upgrading?

the_pony_express 12-30-2008 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by bdog95 (Post 5795061)
What are my goals with the car? I want it to be reliable and streetable first. We want to be able to take weekend trips out of town with the car, etc. I really think I would be happy with the power of the turbo for now, but I am worried in a year or whatever I would want more and then what options do I have.

Well with the options you are considering and the cash you're planning to lay down, there has to be some goal past streetability. There's a point that you reach when all of the power in your car becomes unnecessary to just have fun on the streets.

Maybe your looking to hit the track or drag strip on the weekends?

torque_is_good 12-30-2008 12:49 PM

How long can you be without the vehicle? That must be taken into account because power and drive train swaps never go as quickly as one hopes.