Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New Guy With A Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 09:07 PM
Edward C

Default New Guy With A Question

Hello,

New to the forum. I bought my first new car in August 2008: A Mustang, base model with a Pony pack.

I *love* this car, and I want to take good care of it. So, in addition to my introduction, I'd like to ask a question, please:

The dealership sent me a notice saying "You need to come in for your 5000 mi. checkup!" If I remember correctly from the owner's manual (I don't have it in front of me), I don't really need to go in until I reach 7800 miles.

Any recommendations on when I should bring it in for it's first maintenance? When I should go in for the next few (ie. every 6000 miles)? What should get done when I bring it in?

. . . and any reputable places to bring in a Mustang in or around Colma, CA?

--Edward

P.S. Apologies to all if this is the wrong place to post my question. Please redirect me to the appropriate place if I am in error?
Old 12-31-2008, 10:11 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Is it a GT or a sixxer?
Old 12-31-2008, 11:07 PM
Stealth
2nd Gear Member

Welcome!

I'm pretty sure the manual says to have the oil changed every 5,000 miles, not sure about what else should be done though.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:34 AM
Edward C

Originally Posted by Soldier GT
Is it a GT or a sixxer?
Manual six-cylinder base model; the GT was just out of my price range :-). The Pony pack is just a few extra bells and whistles that say "Mustang" all over the car :-).
Old 01-01-2009, 02:38 AM
Edward C

Originally Posted by Stealth
Welcome!

I'm pretty sure the manual says to have the oil changed every 5,000 miles, not sure about what else should be done though.
The Oil Changers recommends an oil change about every 3000 miles; I might stick with that just to make sure the car stays in good shape.

I'm wondering about more serious things like parts that wear out and need replacing (ie. fuel pump, bearings, and such). I don't know that much about cars in general, hence my coming to this forum :-).

--Edward
Old 01-01-2009, 03:11 AM
ponyandajag
4th Gear Member

Ford is the last place I take my pony. I have the oil changed regularly and it only went to ford for warranty. Dealers charge very high prices compared to other garages. Talk to people in your area about where to get your car serviced.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:06 AM
Beestang08
1st Gear Member

Welcome! u have any pics?
Old 01-01-2009, 11:43 AM
Cuzzo
2nd Gear Member

Welcome! +1 on the 3k oil changes. I do it myself, but went to the dealer for the first 3 for free .
Old 01-01-2009, 12:05 PM
bsnider
1st Gear Member

Welcome to the forums and congrats on your new car. I would echo the 3K advice. If you don't want to do it yourself, you should be able to have it done away from the dealer for about $25.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:18 PM
Obsequious1
5th Gear Member

Welcome to MF's, I used to get notices every so often to bring my car in for routine inspection, lube, whatever, I never went because I don't trust the stealership I bought it from.

Quick Reply: New Guy With A Question