Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Mod List Help!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 11:07 AM
AmericanMustang07
1st Gear Member

Default Mod List Help!?

Hey guys,

Well I posted a thread a while ago saying I might sell my car due to an accident, but insurance has gone sky high. So....I've decided to drop some money into modding a bit more.

I'll say this multiple times, this is my first car modding and I'm new to this so please state your opinions because I want to get the most for my money.

I was thinking about buying these:

JLT CAI ---> 209.99

JBA Cat-Foward Shorty Headers --> 329.99

BBK 70mm Throttle Body ---> 289.99

SCT X3 Power Flash Tuner ---> 379.99

Pypes 409 Stainless Steel X- Pipe ---> 99.99 (Couldn't Find any others...? Is this worth it?)

Grand Total ---> 1,308.96

So my questions would be...

a. Would all these parts work properly even though they are different brands? (remember I'm new haha)

b. Are these parts worth buying?

c. Can I expect a decent power gain from these? (People that already have some installed)

d. Personal Opinions

Thanks,
Tim
Old 01-09-2009, 01:54 PM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

I dont see the need for a different Throttlebody,

check out BAMAchips or any other tuning site and see what kind of deals they might have on a CAI/Tuner package. Headers...ehhhh these cars have a great set as it is but, its your dough. You might see some gains from shorties but, they're gonna be pretty minimal. I'm sure there are more people that have more experience with this than I...
Old 01-09-2009, 02:43 PM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

A. Yes they should work just fine together

B. I would go get you a Truflow from C&L from Bamachips with a custom tune for all the parts you would be ordering. Plus its cheaper all around. When it comes to headers, I would just go to Ebay, I have them on my car for atleast 12K or more, I dont remeber exact milage, but they work great and they should be only about 150 or less to your door. That is if you know how to install them, and you are pretty good with a wrench, but some local shop should do them for about 200 or so. I did them myself. The throttle body, I was thinking about getting here in a few months, along with the intake I listed above, also a spacer to go along with it to, but I dont know if its worth the money or if I could find one that would fit the BBK TB. As for the Xpipe, I would like to know where to get it for 100bucks cause I might be intersted

C. Yes you can expect a power gain form them, I noticed the difference when I installed my headers. The xpipe really doesnt do anything but sound and support along with a very slight increase in flow numbers. Also the TB wont give you alot, even with a spacer, but its horsepower. The tune will tie everything you have got together and give you quite a jump as well so with the duals and headers, plus the whole intake and tune you should really feel it the jump.

D. You might want to consider getting some underdrive pulleys and a coil, wires, and plugs. This should give you a good jump to.

I cant give you exact numbers for what this stuff will bring you, but it will definitely liven your car up
Old 01-09-2009, 04:18 PM
Devil Wolf
3rd Gear Member

JLT CAI ---> 209.99

....sounds good, do it.

...dont waste your money. very little gains from shorty headers over stock. maybe if you were f/i or full bolt on this might be worth it.

...dont waste your money. only throttle body id consider is a zabteck.

SCT X3 Power Flash Tuner ---> 379.99

...sounds good, do it. get a package deal from someplace like bama for the intake a tune.

Pypes 409 Stainless Steel X- Pipe ---> 99.99 (Couldn't Find any others...? Is this worth it?)

...dont you already have an x pipe in your sig? this seems to be taken care of?

if i had to start my car over again, i would do the following:

93 octane tune (i had my tune before my intake, didnt notice much more power from the intake. big difference in the tune).

gears and a t-lok (biggest bolt on change, hands down. best bang for your buck. go 3.73s or 4.10s)

lcas (i dont remember how much wheel hop i had before the blower, but this was a easy and inexpensive mod i actually felt i 'needed' and could see fixing a problem.)

that would put you at about the same cost as what you had listed above.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:29 PM
AlloySixxer
3rd Gear Member

I say C&L or JLT Intake with Xcal3 Tuner from BamaChips. Gears and T-lock, or 8.8 rear end take-off with gears already in it. Check out newtakeoff.com
Old 01-09-2009, 04:57 PM
BWfVA
4th Gear Member

Ok the Zabtech Trottle body would be a good one to, I though that only BBK made throttle bodys for these cars.

As for the 8.8 with the gears, I would love to do that, but the lower the gear less gas milage atleast on the interstate.

Last edited by BWfVA; 01-09-2009 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:45 PM
lurkmoar
1st Gear Member

Look into the TI intake as well. Get that or the C&L.

http://www.tunableinduction.com/

If your gonna do headers then go with longtubes unless you plan on a turbo in the future.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:06 PM
Sleep Deprived
2nd Gear Member

JLT CAI ---> 209.99

I'd go with either JLT/SCT or C&L/SCT combo. Money well spent

What state do live in? Unless you live in California, I'd go with long tubes. You can find good deals on LT headers. The JBAs are the best of the shorty headers imo, but you'll only gain a few HP to go with a low end TQ gain. Long Tubes can net you up to 25rwhp. I wish I could get long tubes, but I'm in Cali

Please don't waste your money. Pretty please.

Not going to do much, better spent elsewhere.

If you can swing it, this is the route I'd go.

CAI w/tune (FYI with Bama you get free updates to your tunes, so if you get your long tubes sometime down the road, Doug will update the tune for you free of charge. This was a deciding factor for me.)

4.10 gears w T-lock - 4.10s made a HUGE difference in my car. You will love them, trust me...if not you can come back and call me a liar

Long Tube Headers - Good HP boost and great sound!
Old 01-09-2009, 09:09 PM
AlloySixxer
3rd Gear Member

^^If you get LT headers do you need your exhaust cut? I have a JBA H-pipe. Also, 25rwhp, really???
Old 01-09-2009, 09:18 PM
Sleep Deprived
2nd Gear Member

Well...25rwhp on the 4.6. I don't know how the 4.0 responds to mods...maybe 20rwhp on the 4.0? Anybody with a 4.0 and longtubes care to chime in?

Quick Reply: Mod List Help!?