Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

FRPP Exhaust questions

Old 01-14-2009, 12:50 AM
Mr. Ugly
3rd Gear Member

Our cars do tend to have a resonance at 1500 rpm, and a lesser ones around 800 and 3000.

I have the FRPP with GTA's and there is a slight cabin resonance at 1500. I'm not sure I would even call it a drone.

Over this past weekend, I cut out the mid pipe hangers... the rubber ones on the tranmission mount. This is per one of the TSB's for eliminating exhaust vibrations transmitted up through the chassis.

Made a noticeable difference in reducing the cabin resonance at 1500 rpm. It was a very minor minor irritation before, and I'm glad I did the hanger mod.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:43 AM
Tim From Cleveland
1st Gear Member

Wow, this sounds like a headache waiting to happen. I would just hate to go with this and end up hating it and its not like they are something that you can just listen to. So as I understand it the GTA's have less drone than the GTB's. Is that correct? If so how do you get the GTA's? When I goto the sites that sell the FRPP they dont list if they are GTA or GTB.

If I decide not to go with the FRPP exhaust does anyone else have any suggestions of other brands? Im looking for an HP gain with some good sound....but not over the top loud. I would rather go with something that I know will be great quality and love rather than get something where there will be a drone I would hate.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:27 AM
pthurm_28
2nd Gear Member

heres a place you can go that has a lot of different kits for the v6

http://www.ninosport.com/Mustang/200...g-V6-Cat-backs
Old 01-14-2009, 08:36 AM
Mr. Ugly
3rd Gear Member

The gta's, corsa, and the stock gt's are the ones with the reputation for no drone. Sometimes I think I'd like my gta's to be louder, but the less attention from the cops, the better!

I like Stingers, but they do drone in addition to being illegal here in CA.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:02 PM
drfister
3rd Gear Member

GTBs do NOT drone. I dunno where you heard this from but it couldnt be any further from the truth. Those who have the gtb's and claim drone: A) installed wrong somehow B) extreamly sensitive ears C) do not know what drone is.
IMO, GTAs sound better, but there IS noticable drone. GTBs have no drone, however, are more timid. The issue here is everyone's different definitions on "drone". I don't know if you've had any other exhaust prior to this FRPP kit but that may help in your decision. From my experience, Flowmaster AT exhuast DRONES (drone = loud, annoying, almost shaking the cabin sound). FRPP GTB kit has CABIN RESONANCE (cabin resonance = noticable, smooth, deep sound when accelerating... otherwise quiet).

This IS an exhaust kit, you WILL hear it. If you do not want this STAY STOCK. That being said, the GTB kit is [one of] the most mellow/timid/drone-free exhaust set-ups for our cars. Find someone near you so you can experience it first hand. Sound clips just arnt usefull. Best of luck with your decision, and keep us posted as to how everything finally plays out!

-Matt
Old 01-14-2009, 12:15 PM
Tim From Cleveland
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by drfister
GTBs do NOT drone. I dunno where you heard this from but it couldnt be any further from the truth. Those who have the gtb's and claim drone: A) installed wrong somehow B) extreamly sensitive ears C) do not know what drone is.
IMO, GTAs sound better, but there IS noticable drone. GTBs have no drone, however, are more timid. The issue here is everyone's different definitions on "drone". I don't know if you've had any other exhaust prior to this FRPP kit but that may help in your decision. From my experience, Flowmaster AT exhuast DRONES (drone = loud, annoying, almost shaking the cabin sound). FRPP GTB kit has CABIN RESONANCE (cabin resonance = noticable, smooth, deep sound when accelerating... otherwise quiet).

This IS an exhaust kit, you WILL hear it. If you do not want this STAY STOCK. That being said, the GTB kit is [one of] the most mellow/timid/drone-free exhaust set-ups for our cars. Find someone near you so you can experience it first hand. Sound clips just arnt usefull. Best of luck with your decision, and keep us posted as to how everything finally plays out!

-Matt
See this is the problem. Here you say the GTB's have no drone and Illin's post he had it in his car and he claims there is drone. It is just such a bitch to figure out what to go with. I keep getting conflicting opinions.

I just picked up the Feb. issue of Modified Mustangs and they had a article on exhausts that drone. They claimed that the Corsa exhaust has no drone and the fact that it doesnt is one of their selling points. Apparently they have some kind of sound cancelation which kills the drone. Does anyone have any experience with Corsa exhausts on a V6?
Old 01-14-2009, 12:58 PM
drfister
3rd Gear Member

Ya I know what you mean. Exhaust is such a personal choice, thats why its best to hear it for yourself. Of course this is easier said then done. The Corsas dont drone but they are reallly expensive for just the axlebacks. I know one member one here has them for a v6, I dono his name but he has a red v6 with a chin spoiler and his sig has him and his car in it. IIRC he loved his set up, but not sure what mid pipe he was running, I want to say an H but im not sure, I will see if I can find who that is.

EDIT: While not the same guy I was originally thinking of, found this while searching...

https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-0l...deo-clips.html

Last edited by drfister; 01-14-2009 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:46 PM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Legion5
So? And flowmaster Super 40's are designed for everything but they actually work awesome on my factory Saleen exhaust. That doesn't mean it can't be a good fit.
I think he was getting at the fact that the GTA mufflers aren't designed specifically for the six like you said it was.
_
I find it interesting someone else with the GTB's reports no drone. I was kind of thinking the same thing, that maybe something was not installed quite right on illin's kit.

It should be noted to the OP that in my experimental poll of exhaust clips, both this forum and the 4.0c preferred the GTA's and borla stingers.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:50 PM
illin
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by drfister

-Matt
Well, I totally disagree... I (C) know what drone is and the exhaust droned like hell. To recreate the drone in your own head, stick fingers in both ears (tight). Now hum a deep hum pretty loud...and you will exprience my cabin at 1450 rpm.

The kit (A) was installed by pros...no issue there. These guys have been open since Henry Ford was a whipper snapper and the guys that installed it do nothing but build race cars...they know their stuff.

I am (B) not very sensative to anything. My wife told me it made her sick to her stomach to drive my car. I could not stand it...every time I drove it I was angry that Ford produced such a terrible system. I felt as if I got screwed honestly.

Now that the GTBs are gone and I have GT takeoffs, I have zero drone and am very happy. Duals do not have to drone to sound good.

I would have GLADLY swapped out the GTBs for GTAs, but the FRPP guys told me it was impossible. It took three transfers before I found someone that knew the difference. This guy knew the difference but said "drone" was a new term to him...I gave up with them.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:59 PM
themac5150
3rd Gear Member

LOL.... you want drone... go pick up an Blow Master American Thunder and slap it on....
Drive for 9 hours at 70-75 mph on the interstate up and down rolling hills....
Rip that sucker out before you even unload the trunk when you get home...
Kill the 6 pack you will need to get your sanity back...
I could not even listen to the radio because of all the frequency crap going on with that POS installed. I've got one in the garage I'LL GIVE YOU FOR FREE COME AND GET IT!!

illin, I don't blame you one bit! It's your car and if you didn't like it, CHANGE IT. I was mad when I got the AT. I was not satisfied with the FRPP/Borla because it sounded too much like a ricer fart can after having it on for a while, I can live with the FRPP/GTAs... most of the time. I picked up some take-offs that I slap on when I know I'm going to do a lot of highway/cross country driving. To the others that don't have the GTBs... you can't provide input if you don't have them.

Last edited by themac5150; 01-14-2009 at 07:34 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FRPP Exhaust questions