Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Malfunctioning Alarm

Old 01-16-2009, 09:11 AM
Slacker584
1st Gear Member

Default Malfunctioning Alarm

Hi everyone,

Lately, my alarm has been going off without any provocation (no extreme wind or weather causing it, nor any attempted break-ins). The only way for me to work around this is not to activate the alarm, thus leaving my doors unlocked (unless I manually lock the doors from the inside, I suppose). This pretty much defeats the purpose of having an alarm.

Has anyone else had this problem or know what could be causing it? I'm probably going to take it to the dealership for them to take a look at it, but I'm hesitant that they will say my mods voided my warranty. Even so, I have read some posts on here that say the warranties are only voided for the parts replaced (like any exhaust problem I have now with the duals isn't covered by the warranty I purchased because it's not original equipment), so I could always counter with that argument.

I had everything in my signature installed on the car in April 08, though I don't see how any of those mods would affect the alarm system, especially months after they were installed. I also have LoJack and remote start installed, but I'm fairly certain that has little to do with the actual alarm.

Any insight you guys can provide is appreciated, thanks.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:15 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Is this the OEM factory alarm or an aftermarket alarm thats gone wild?
The Lo-Jack or the remote start can both be causing the problems.
Were they neighbor kid installed, BestBuy installed or professionally installed
by a qualified Automobile Electrical Technician?
Old 01-16-2009, 12:34 PM
Slacker584
1st Gear Member

Sorry I should have specified that. The alarm, LoJack, and remote start all came installed with the car, none of them are aftermarket.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:13 PM
Buckshot Barry
3rd Gear Member

Have you checked the passenger side floor board for dampness?
Old 01-16-2009, 10:27 PM
illin
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Slacker584
I also have LoJack and remote start installed, but I'm fairly certain that has little to do with the actual alarm.

Any insight you guys can provide is appreciated, thanks.
I think you made a bad assumption.

I would say it is highly probable it is coming from the LoJack or starter.

Did the dealer install the LoJack and starter? If so, go back to that dealer. You could get in a sticky area at that point.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:04 AM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

Well to throw a wrench in there, my car is 100% stock as far as alarm/remote start goes, yet my security goes off for absolutely no reason sometimes, honking obnoxiously. What of it?
Old 01-17-2009, 11:05 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Sorry I should have specified that. The alarm, LoJack, and remote start all came installed with the car, none of them are aftermarket.
Did you purchase this vehicle NEW or USED?
Lets see, Ford offers a Remote Start and the Alarm is also OEM
but I have never heard of OEM offered Lo-Jack. Its not a $50K
vehicle to warrant the need for Lo-Jack. Is there paperwork that
you received documenting the Lo-Jack installation and Registration #s?
What do the remote(s) you use to remote start and/or arm-disarm
the alarm with. Ford OEM items or aftermarket style remotes?
Without looking at the vehicle and since you are not sure what
you have installed, its hard to diagnose the problem over an internet
forum.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:52 PM
sdsguy
3rd Gear Member

do what i did and put it in valet mode. do this by turning the key to the on (3rd click or the one right before you actually start) then off position 3 times. afterwards your little red light will double blink, that means valet mode.

i took mine to the dealership i bought it from and the installer disconnected the postive battery terminal after i put the key in and turned it to the on position. leave it for 30 seconds and it should reset...mine was doing this a week ago or so
Old 01-20-2009, 01:33 PM
Slacker584
1st Gear Member

Talking

Originally Posted by 157db
Did you purchase this vehicle NEW or USED?
Lets see, Ford offers a Remote Start and the Alarm is also OEM
but I have never heard of OEM offered Lo-Jack. Its not a $50K
vehicle to warrant the need for Lo-Jack. Is there paperwork that
you received documenting the Lo-Jack installation and Registration #s?
What do the remote(s) you use to remote start and/or arm-disarm
the alarm with. Ford OEM items or aftermarket style remotes?
Without looking at the vehicle and since you are not sure what
you have installed, its hard to diagnose the problem over an internet
forum.
I'm not sure what I have installed? Lol ok...

The car was purchased NEW, and I was offered the option of having LoJack (the LoJack Early Warning System) installed in the car which I selected - it's useful plus gives me an insurance deduction. I don't see what having a $50K car as opposed to a $25K car matters in whether or not you get a LoJack system - I still don't want my car stolen either way, and if it is, LoJack is designed to help in locating it.

The remotes are not aftermarket, they are Ford OEM, which I know because I have two friends with Mustangs, one the same year as mine and one 2001, which have the same remotes that I have (except the 2001 is a little more rounded on the corners). I also have a separate key fob for the LoJack which, if the car is in motion and the fob is over a certain distance from it, I get a recorded notification from LoJack sent to my cell phone, work phone, house phone, and email address notifiying me that my car may be getting moved without my permission.

In any case, I will try sdsguy's valet mode suggestion and see if that helps at all. I was just trying to get an idea if anyone else had this problem before I take it to the dealership. But what would I know, I'm just an ignorant consumer who isn't even sure what is installed in his car.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:01 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

I'm not sure what I have installed? Lol ok...

The car was purchased NEW, and I was offered the option of having LoJack (the LoJack Early Warning System) installed in the car which I selected - it's useful plus gives me an insurance deduction. I don't see what having a $50K car as opposed to a $25K car matters in whether or not you get a LoJack system - I still don't want my car stolen either way, and if it is, LoJack is designed to help in locating it.

The remotes are not aftermarket, they are Ford OEM, which I know because I have two friends with Mustangs, one the same year as mine and one 2001, which have the same remotes that I have (except the 2001 is a little more rounded on the corners). I also have a separate key fob for the LoJack which, if the car is in motion and the fob is over a certain distance from it, I get a recorded notification from LoJack sent to my cell phone, work phone, house phone, and email address notifiying me that my car may be getting moved without my permission.
From this added info I would take her to the stealership and ask them WTF
is wrong with the vehicle you sold me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Malfunctioning Alarm