Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Replacement Gas Tank Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 11:44 PM
cathane

Default Replacement Gas Tank Issue

I had my gas tank replaced last week to fix the slow fill issue... Now with the new tank the damn thing doesn't cut off the flow of the gas quickly enough when I fill the tank!!! About a sec after it does cut off I get a backwash of foam/gas... has anyone else had this issue?? Wondering what approach I should take with the dealership regarding the issue. Got the tank replaced in the beginning because I found that I couldn't fill up my tank with any newer style pump, but old pumps were ok. Now new or old, I can fill the tank, but the car burps at me (very technical ) every time it finishes filling!!! I don't think it's much to ask to have a trouble free gas tank... Anyway enough ranting, if anyone else has had this problem, knows what the problem might be (and please refrain from making the oh so easy joke that I don't know how to pump gas), or has had this issue fixed let me know please. Thanks.

Cathane
Old 06-07-2005, 12:36 AM
V6Mustangkid

Default RE: Replacement Gas Tank Issue

If i was you go to the dealer and get a new one. If they start up a fight about money and other stuff say that they can kiss your *** and go to another dealer. Some dealers will give it to you for free if your under warrenty.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:56 PM
ChristopherCamel
2nd Gear Member

i dunno about that one..my gas tank works fine since i got it..i had one or two times where it stopped early but that seems to not happen anymore...ive got 4000 miles on mine and i always run it to empty and then fill it up
Old 06-09-2005, 10:21 AM
Dean Martin
2nd Gear Member

Mine was built in late Feb, so should have the fixed gas tank. I do find that it is inconsistent from pump to pump...there is one station near my home where it just will not fill. Mostly no problems though.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:37 PM
NCMustangMan
2nd Gear Member

I had mine replaced via their TSB about 500 miles in. It still cuts off at a few gas stations but works 90% of the time. The only overfill problems I have experienced is when I do find a pump with an issue and have to use the "2 o'clock" position with the handle. I have experienced a few overfills in this position which really upsets me getting gas on my beautiful black paint and all. I put over 130,000 miles on a 1993 T-Bird and never had a problem with the gas so I know Ford can build a tank that works. You would think they could fix the new Mustang tank so it worked 100% of the time.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:43 PM
Twintowers01

I had my tank replace based on the TSB for slow fill up. 2 weeks later she would not fill past 3/4 tank. They are replacing the fuel sending units, but like everthing else it's on backorder until the end of june.[:@]
Old 06-11-2005, 10:56 PM
n47h4n

I am in the EXACT same situation.
I have only filled up twice since having the new tank put in, and both times... overflow, and dripping under the car.
I don't think it's the pumps, but I am going to try a couple of different stations first, before talking to the dealer.

[:@]
Old 06-12-2005, 04:03 AM
cathane

I sorry to hear you're also suffering from the same problem, but kindof glad I'm not the only one!! I've raised the issue with my local Ford dealer, 4 different stations, same result, as a result I've kindof made them paranoid about replacing gas tanks on the cars around here... said they're going to look into the problem, that was mid last week, I'm giving them till this weds, if I don't hear back from them I'm calling and demanding a new tank... hate to do it, seeing how it's $1200 cdn a tank for them to get it (plus they have to redo my undercoating), but I'm not putting up with this situation with my car, didn't pay all this money for a car with a faulty gas tank. Friend of mine has his replaced last week and it's been working like a charm (I've tired stations he's had no problem with and it still spills over), so I'm hoping it's tank related and not car related. Anyway, I'll let you know how it all goes. Later.

Cathane
Old 06-28-2005, 06:58 PM
cathane

Hey Guys,

Well, I figured I'd give an update on my situation, get ready for a rant... After more than a month of calling my Local Ford dealership, complaining about how I'm spilling gas when I fill the tank, they finally gave in and tell me to bring the car in today so they could have a look at it, although they don't know what they'll do. So I brought the car in 7:30 this morning, and after dropping it off, told the service guy I've been talking with that I expect that if they can't fix the car, then at least they'll order a new part for me today to take care of the problem... of which point he assured me they'd do what they can... so around 2 in the afternoon I get a call… the service manager told my contact that there is nothing in the tank or in the fuel filler line that stops gas from overflowing, and that the pumps do this, and hence there is nothing wrong with my car! Apparently, the pumps must see my car, notice that I've had my gas tank replaced, and decide that they'd like to spill some gas over the side of it!! It didn't matter that I never had this problem with the old tank (only the slow fill issue at newer pumps), that I'm going to the EXCAT same pumps now, that my friend who had his 05 gas tank replaced and goes to these pumps has no issues... it's the pump, not the tank!

At this point I decided that myself and the service manager obviously need to get to know each other… so I got a co-worker to drop me off, and sat down in his office, where he again tells me face to face, that it’s the pumps. I am in quite a good mood at this point, and explained the situation to him again, as I couldn’t believe what he was telling me, and proceed to tell him how from what I understand, pressure from the tank causes the pump to stop sending fuel, and therefore there is a problem with the tank as it is obviously not doing this properly. Now he tells me that he has contacted the Ford service hotline, and that because Ford has never seen this problem before, they have told him that there is no problem, and therefore there’s nothing he can do. After a few choice words from me he decides to call them again about the matter, and after 10mins or so comes back with the same line, there is no record of a problem like this, therefore there is no problem, so there’s nothing he can do. I’m now quite steaming, so state that from what he’s telling me, Ford and this dealership are refusing to do warranty work on my vehicle… at which he says no I’m not saying that, and I reply, well, let’s put it this way, there’s 4500km on my vehicle, and you’re telling me the bumper to bumper warranty has worn out, as you’re refusing to fix a part that is faulty on my vehicle. His reply of course is, well that’s your interpretation. I’ve had my full of this fellow by this point, so I get the reference number of his “hotline” call, and the number for them, and get my keys.

Luck should so have it that my salesman, who is quite friendly happened to be at the service counter when I walked out of the service manager’s office, and I got a “Hey how’s it going” and a big smile, which changed rather quickly when he saw the expression on my face. I tell him we need to have a chat, we go to his office, I lay out the problem before him, and tell him that if this isn’t fixed soon, then this will be the last vehicle I’ll be purchasing from this dealership… and being a 25 year old Engineer, that’s potentially a few vehicles. He takes charge at this point, goes to his boss and lays out the situation, moments latter the service manager and a few other people enter the office, and after a few minutes my sales guy comes back, and says let’s get the gas card and fill you’re vehicle up and see what is happening. This is the FIRST TIME anyone at the dealership has decided to actually try filling up the car to see what happens!!! We drive the car up to the dealership pump, the EXCAT same pump that he originally filled my tank with when I bought the car (the pump looks like it was built in the 50’s so I’m thinking, well, if any pump is going to work and make a fool of me this is the one). So he starts filling the car, and click, it finishes… he’s just opening his mouth to say I imagine, “looks fine to me” when out comes the gas and down over the car. I have to admit, it’s the least I’ve seen flow out of it yet, but that probably has more to do with the age of the pump then anything else, but what does that matter anyway, it’s still spilling gas! He let’s his boss know, and they tell me that they’ll put pressure on Ford to admit there’s a problem and try and fix it, and that if I could, to take a movie of it with a digital camera and send it to them so that they can show it to Ford themselves. What an absolute mess this has turned out to be!!! Anyway n47h4n, if you read this and have your issue resolved, please let me know. If you don’t, I’ll let you know how it all goes on this end. Later

Cathane
Old 06-29-2005, 01:15 AM
Badash
1st Gear Member

I noticed this problem on mine tonight. The wife noticed this problem earlier this week.

Quick Reply: Replacement Gas Tank Issue