Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

My experience...What are all of your thoughts/experience

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 05:30 PM
DanteMo
1st Gear Member

Default My experience...What are all of your thoughts/experience

Hey all. New member here. I bought a v-6 prem conv. List was 28745. Paid 27500. Invoice was 26583. Got everything except the shaker 1000 , front side airbags, anti-theft, and red leather interior. Did all of the neg on the phone and that was nice. Walked into the dealer and was out in 30 mins. I highly recommend it. No waiting forever and no mind games. I played some games of my own. Like telling the dealer I was on the other line with another dealer when they called me back and I would have to call them back! . The hard part for me was finding the color combo I wanted... Redfire with black top/charcoal interior. Everyone I found had the parchment interior/top. I had to go 100 miles to find it but I got it. I love the car but I really would like a GT. Didn't want to wait. I want a conv, and by the time I got a GT, would have been winter. YUK.

So anyway, my plan is to wait until spring of 06 and try again to get a GT. I know it's early but do you all think that the 06 will have the same backlog of orders and it will be impossible to get? The conv I have now will be garage kept and covered. Yes, I'm paranoid about my kids scratching it. I only drive it on weekends with the kids. I won't have but maybe 1500 miles on it. What kind of price do you all think I could get for it next spring? Blue book isn't out yet. No mods on this car, etc.. but it will have low miles. Heck, it won't have been driven in the rain? What do you all think a fair price would be? Just asking..

Also, are there any mods that you all would think would be worth it when I sell it? I've read the threads and there is alot of debate about perf. gains with cai, duals, etc... Any good reco's there?

Thanx alot..
BTW, I love this car. Ford did a great job and Hau Thai-Tang is a genius. Brought back the styling that made the car an ICON..

Old 06-05-2005, 09:36 PM
NCMustangMan
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: My experience...What are all of your thoughts/experience

I went in to my loacl dealer in early April wanting a red GT and was told I could leave a $1,000 to order and I may or may not get one. I drove a red V6 Vert but was not willing to pay $6,000 more than the V6 coupes for a ragtop and leather interior. I wound up with a Black V6 and spent some cash on mods to make it unique. I have always asked myself did I screw up not waiting. I drove a GT this past week and discussed trading for it but the offer on mine was unacceptable. I now plan to hold on to the V6 until the Cobra is available for order in the summer of 2006 and take my chances getting one of those. The dealer told me they may only make 7,000 total which I hope is not true since that works out to less than two per dealer and I don't like my chances there. Enjoy the new ride. I do every day.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:13 AM
DanteMo
1st Gear Member

NCMustangMan,

If you don't mind me asking, how much did they offer? You can just give me the delta between your price and what they offered (i.e. 4000 less...etc) if you're not comfortable giving me the actual figures. I'm just curious. I agree - I just couldn't waste a whole summer waiting for a GT![:@]. And I love the car, don't get me wrong... What kinda mods did you do? Any perf. gains?

Thanx
Old 06-06-2005, 01:49 AM
ponytx
2nd Gear Member

There are a couple of things to think about when you upgrade to a GT, you probably will lose some money, but according to the GT owners, it's well worth it. Not to mention what you will be adding to your payments just with the GT alone. But if your heart is set on a GT, never settle for less, you only have one life! My 6'er is plenty for me, she's my daily driver and I put alot of miles on her, she looks great and I save some gas, most of the 'stangs I see on the road are V6ers. I wouldn't even mess with mods, unless you plan on selling it on your own, only people who love mods are willing to pay for mods. If you plan on trading it back to the dealer, keep it stock. Plus you looked long and hard for your color combo, that should prove is a hard to find and even more special. But if you HAVE to have that GT, might I suggest you wait one more year for the '07 GT500....

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showth...2&page=1&pp=20
Old 06-06-2005, 11:10 AM
NCMustangMan
2nd Gear Member

I paid $26,000 total for my V6 with all the dealer installed mods and they offered me $21,000 two months later. I paid cash so it would not affect my car payment. I was very impressed with the power of the GT I test drove (a whole different animal) but I still have three major issues to consider. #1: I have invested a lot of time in "creating" my own unique V6 which I selfishly find to one bad a**ed looking Mustang, V6 or GT. #2: I am not a CPA but a $5,000 loss in two months is more than the investor in me can justify. #3: My car is a birthday gift from my wife and I can get another car (eventually) much easier than I could find another wife, especially since I have 25 years invested in this one. I am leaning heavily (90% this morning) toward keeping my V6 and waiting to order the Shelby next summer.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:54 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

==I bought a v-6 prem conv.==

Congrats!

==I know it's early but do you all think that the 06 will have the same backlog of orders and it will be impossible to get?==

Hard to say right now. I'm positive the prices WILL come down and inventory will go up, but "when" is the question. You can bet Ford will want to ramp up production and get more into dealerships to take advantage of the interest while they can. It may start to settle down by next spring.

==I won't have but maybe 1500 miles on it. What kind of price do you all think I could get for it next spring?==

It won't be pretty. I too considered trading my vert in on a GT. I paid sticker a couple of months ago (and THAT was a challenge to get!) at 28,350. I located a GT identical to my vert a month later and for fun had them look at my car, trade-in offer was 21k. Your low mileage will help, but by next spring I don't think you'll top 20k on trade-in for an '05. You'd be a lot better off to sell it on eBay or in Auto Trader.

==Also, are there any mods that you all would think would be worth it when I sell it? I've read the threads and there is alot of debate about perf. gains with cai, duals, etc... Any good reco's there?==

Absolutely not, if you plan on selling it do not put a single mod on it. You will lose whatever money you put into the mod's and you could even decrease the value, especially if you trade it.

==#2: I am not a CPA but a $5,000 loss in two months is more than the investor in me can justify.==

Amen! There was no way I was going to eat that on a car I drove for a month. I'm going to drive mine at least a year and decide a few things before "hopping" to a GT:

- I love verts, but since it's so HOT here all the time I don't know how much I will drive top-down (have a lot this spring though).

- Love the look of the black, but don't know if long term I'll get tired of keeping it clean. I want to see the new titanium color in person, I may have to have that down the road

- I'm waiting to see what future editions Ford may release, no doubt there will be editions other than the Shelby (Mach 1 maybe?) If I'm going to get another Mustang I think it would have to be very special
Old 06-06-2005, 04:31 PM
DanteMo
1st Gear Member

Thanx for all the great advice. Yep, that kinda mark-down makes me ill. I always planned on selling it myself (not a trading it in). I'll wait and see what next spring holds and what I can get for it. If I lose too much, I'll just stick with it. Maybe I can pick up a used GT with low miles and offset the loss. We'll see. Hopefully the 06's will glut the market somewhat.

Old 06-06-2005, 04:55 PM
NCMustangMan
2nd Gear Member

Ford and all of us are well on the way to saturating the market with the new Mustang. I saw an article in the Wall Street Journal that said even though Ford's overall 2005 sales are down 3-4%, sales on the new Mustang are up an amazing 47% over 2004. Let's all give thanks we have a 2005 Mustang. We could be driving a ricer.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:27 PM
Magget
1st Gear Member

DanteMo,

That certainly is nice to be able to negotiate over the phone. I began my negotiation process over the internet and then proceeded to the phone with several dealerships (also, I have visited several in my area). Most gave me ridiculous prices over MSRP and really did not want to negotiate over the phone with me. Each one kept repeating, "so, when are you coming in?" I reiterated that there is no difference between me telling you my specifications of the car I want over the phone than sitting at your dealership. All conversations are now at a halt.

My search continues.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:10 PM
DanteMo
1st Gear Member

Magget,

A couple of suggestions if you want them.

Try and find a rural dealer with the car you want and tell them you have to travel some distance to even come in. I got a dealer 100 miles away (90 min drive) and did all of the neg on the phone.

The problem will be finding the car you want in the inventory of a rural dealer. It's really hard. I spent alot of time on ford's website searching their dealer inventory page for a zip codes around me to find the mustang I wanted. Then I called and asked about the car and told them I'm 100 miles away and I have to get this deal done over the phone. The thing that was nice is I could sit in the comfort of my own home and do negotiations. (you know, flip channels while the salesguy was talking about how much he wanted to sell me the car, etc...). Heck, maybe call your local dealer and tell them you live 100 miles away and want to get a price neg. over the phone. However, I found that the rural dealers were more willing to deal than the urban ones but their inventory was much more limited. Maybe I just got lucky?

Goto http://www.fordvehicles.com/dealerships/locate/ and enter your zip code and state (or surronding zip codes and states) and then click the 'browse inventory" link for a dealer. enter your body style wanted etc... Some even have the sticker info for you to look at all the options..

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: My experience...What are all of your thoughts/experience