Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.
View Poll Results: Do you want to get the Intercooler?
Hell yes
71.93%
Maybe
19.30%
No
8.77%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

X-Charger X-Treme Intercooler Headcount

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 07:17 PM
NuclearMuscle523
SCAM ALERT! This person is known around the internet for ripping people off. You've been warned.

Default X-Charger X-Treme Intercooler Headcount

Just wanted to get a headcount of how many people are committed to buying the intercooler when it comes out. Also, figured this would be a nice place for us to start talking about it. Haven't seen a thread out for it yet.

I'm in.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:28 PM
illin
3rd Gear Member

My hope is that the new bundled kit will lower the original version by 25%.

The reason only 100 units has been sold is the price is just too steep. Most other drivers have solid options available for $2500 and they sell VERY well.

I firmly believe if they dropped the prce to $2500, they would sell 5-10x the units.

The economy is going to really hit tuner items hard. Not a ton of folks lining up with $5000 of cash to throw into their car.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:35 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Other than nitrous, what is considered "solid" FI option for $2500????????
Old 02-09-2009, 07:50 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

I've been watching the new X-Charger Extreme with much interest. I think the air-to-water intercooler will be a GREAT option for those who already have an X, and for those looking to buy the complete kit. I know Ron got some good numbers and lower IAT's when he tested it a while back, and I look forward to seeing the results later this month on the latest incarnation...
Old 02-09-2009, 07:54 PM
illin
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rygenstormlocke
Other than nitrous, what is considered "solid" FI option for $2500????????

Sorry...didnt mean to confuse. I meant outside of Mustangs. We seem to pay a price for driving these cars.

Ricers generally pay $2500 for the same equipment because they outsell Mustang FI units 20:1...probably more.

One of buddies at work put a superb system on his 3 series that was $3000 turn-key. In fact, it is hard to find a higher priced system than what is available for Mustangs.

Make sense?
Old 02-09-2009, 08:46 PM
Mr.Bape
4th Gear Member

I'm in!
Old 02-09-2009, 08:48 PM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

It'd be great if they lowered the price a bit but, even if that doesn't happen (Which most likely it won't )

I'd like to see another Group-Buy come about, I'm sure alot of people would jump on it, myself included...

We can hope, can't we? LOL
Old 02-09-2009, 09:06 PM
heartinacage
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by illin
Sorry...didnt mean to confuse. I meant outside of Mustangs. We seem to pay a price for driving these cars.

Ricers generally pay $2500 for the same equipment because they outsell Mustang FI units 20:1...probably more.

One of buddies at work put a superb system on his 3 series that was $3000 turn-key. In fact, it is hard to find a higher priced system than what is available for Mustangs.

Make sense?
I know what you mean. My girlfriend is looking into a complete (bigger turbo + intercooler) upgrade turbo system for her MazdaSpeed Protege. It's only $2500.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:16 PM
afixer
5th Gear Member

your dreaming if you think the price will come down. Dave has to make a living and 2500 wont even cover his cost on parts. just an example the foundry wants an order of 500 units just to make the new lower manifold. looks like you should buy a Mazda. if you want to play ta got to pay. wake up and be realistic. sorry but the truth hurts sometimes
Old 02-09-2009, 09:49 PM
illin
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by afixer
your dreaming if you think the price will come down. Dave has to make a living and 2500 wont even cover his cost on parts. just an example the foundry wants an order of 500 units just to make the new lower manifold. looks like you should buy a Mazda. if you want to play ta got to pay. wake up and be realistic. sorry but the truth hurts sometimes
Multiple posts just listed comparable systems made for different vehicles for approximately half the cost. Not sure what was unclear there. These are not "ebay systems" either. The one I mentioned ont he 3 series was borderline a work of art. Why is that system nearly 40% less?

I consider myself a very average consumer and a decent barometer when it comes to determining value. Sorry, but there is no way these units will survive with the low production volumes they are being produced at. The problem is that the 4.0L is at an end of production. Limited customers will spend 1/5 of the car value on an upgrade now...but in 2 years? Three? When the average 6er is selling for $6K...how many folks are going to fork out 70% of the value for an upgrade? None.

So...continue to make $1500-2000 a unit and sell 50 a year...or make $500 and sell 1000. Simple concept.

Again...very average guy here. But get them to $2500 and I will order one tomorrow.

Quick Reply: X-Charger X-Treme Intercooler Headcount