Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Alum Driveshaft is coming... FINALLY!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 06:12 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

illin:
sorry dude, no dyno numbers. i feel bad cuz that used to eat me too when i was looking for numbers to justify a purchase. just trust me that you'll feel a very good improvement in acceleration and MUCH smoother ride which results in a better overall driving experience at any speed and/or driving style. i already have 3.73 gears + posi and i was still able to feel a significant difference. best analogy i can compare the feel to is like running a sprint in heavy work boots compared to running the same sprint in nike air running shoes (or similar shoes if ur not a nike fan... lol) that are as light as a feather. you run smoother and faster under the same power. really does make the car feel "lighter" when you punch it just as other aluminum DS owners will tell you. i would say the performance boost is about 70% of what gears will give you which is why i highyl recommend it to those who already have a gear/posi upgrade.

ABQstang89:
shaft costed me $475 plus $60 for the install. $535 grand total. i think they gave me a discount on the shaft since i'm a returning customer. the shop's web site listed the shaft for $525 which i think is still fairly competitive and would have paid anyways. i guess it pays to be a loyal/returning customer
Old 02-11-2009, 06:27 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by basketballord
What made you go with this Coast place rather than shaftmasters or powerhouse? The locality of their shop? Took a look at their site, looks pretty legit, and nice looking units too.
yes, they are a local shop and were referred to by the other local mustang shops (Granatelli Motorsports & MMR-Modular Mustang Racing). I also asked around to mechanic friends and relatives and they all said Coast was very reputable and has been for many many years. the guy that took care of me was also very helpful and very informative. cool dude. i highly recommend this shop to anyone in ventura county or near. shaftmasters still has a hard-to-beat price and customer feedback on the forums has been nothing but positive but i wanted to give my local shop support especially since they already have a very good local rep.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:44 PM
illin
3rd Gear Member

Is anybody up on all the options as far as who is making them? Any deals under $500 out there?

I am going to go ahead and knock this one out. I am REALLY close to where I wan the car and I think this will put me over the edge.

I promise to get dyno numbers before and after...and I have some good 1/4 times to use a baseline. I have heard this can shave 2 or 3 tenths off the 1/4.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:50 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

you can order a Shaftmasters V6 shaft for $450 plus i think they offer free shipping.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:05 PM
illin
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sancho805
you can order a Shaftmasters V6 shaft for $450 plus i think they offer free shipping.
Ill check them out.

How can you go wrong with a name like "shaftmaster"?
Old 02-11-2009, 09:47 PM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by illin
Ill check them out.

How can you go wrong with a name like "shaftmaster"?
Haha agreed

I'd go with the shaftmasters too, their price is the most competitive and their product has had great reviews. Not anything against Coast, if I had a local shop I'd go through them too.

Can't wait to see those dyno numbers man
Old 02-12-2009, 04:03 AM
CommanderCOOL
2nd Gear Member

hmm... what shop is this? im also in the (805/818) area. I wanna check them out!
=]
Old 02-12-2009, 12:09 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CommanderCOOL
hmm... what shop is this? im also in the (805/818) area. I wanna check them out!
=]
ur in T.O./Westlake, right? i think i remember you. the shop is in Ventura off the telephone road exit. its in the industrial park neighborhood behind the Chuck E. Cheese plaza. IM me if you need more details.

*second day with DS installed and i actually notice more finer details than i initially did yesterday. i already commented on the acceleration boost and how its smoother on the freeway but i noticed more this morning on how smooth the actual hard acceleration is also. almost feels like my car is floating a bit when hauling a$$!..... lol.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:28 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Thanks for that good write-up.

I've contemplated adding this to my "to-do someday" list. (Of course after I get CAI/TUNE/DUALS/T-LOK/GEARS... Lol.)
I've heard a lot of god things about upgrading the drive-shaft.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:11 PM
CommanderCOOL
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sancho805
ur in T.O./Westlake, right? i think i remember you. the shop is in Ventura off the telephone road exit. its in the industrial park neighborhood behind the Chuck E. Cheese plaza. IM me if you need more details.
Ya i live in westlake but im a student at Ventura College. so im there almost every weekday.
What else does the shop do? im looking for a good place for a spring install

Quick Reply: Alum Driveshaft is coming... FINALLY!!