Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Alum Driveshaft is coming... FINALLY!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 01:16 AM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

Default Alum Driveshaft is coming... FINALLY!!

i've waited long for this mod but thanks to good ol unlce sam returning the extra money i gave him, i finally can get a driveshaft installed. i got an appointment tommorrow morning with my local shop which manufactures their own mustang shafts. this is the same shop that also took care of my gear/posi upgrade. they are a very reputable shop and have been a major player in my local area for many many years. i will post again after the mod to let you all know my thoughts.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:23 AM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

Awesome man! I hope to someday do this, but I think it is a ways down the road. I'm interested to hear your thoughts on it
Old 02-11-2009, 01:57 PM
Devil Wolf
3rd Gear Member

looking forward to your impressions; im on the fence about buying one at the moment.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:03 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

JUST PICKED UP MY CAR!

i was able to do some quick launches from dead stops and was also able to hop onto the freeway. acceleration is VERY noticeable even with my upgraded gears. VERY NICE! once i got going on the freeway, power difference is not very noticeable but the acceleration when passing up cars or switching lanes WAS!!

overall, acceleration is the primary difference for this mod and i was definitely able to feel the smoothness at freeway speeds that others have mentioned. this is a very good rwtq mod and i definitely recommend it especially to those who already have a gear/posi upgrade. any questions, please feel free to ask.

*on a side note... before the install, i was able to hold and examine the aluminum shaft and it really did feel pretty light for being such a large and solid looking piece. after picking up my car, i kept my stock shaft and thing was not pleasant to the eye... lol. it was a bit smaller diameter but VERY rusty and VERY heavy. sorry, i wasn't able to weigh the new shaft (claims to be approx 18 lbs.) but i will weigh the stock one once i get home just for reference. attached is an image of new and old shaft from my shops website.
Attached Thumbnails Alum Driveshaft is coming... FINALLY!!-coastshaft_stangshaft.jpg  

Last edited by Sancho805; 02-11-2009 at 04:18 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:35 PM
TJW
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the report-definitely my next mod.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:21 PM
ABQstang89
3rd Gear Member

Yeah I'm glad to hear that its a nice mod. I'm planning on doing a new rear end and drive shaft. Thats actually the starting point for the performance mods. How much did the whole set up cost you?
Old 02-11-2009, 05:33 PM
svastano
4th Gear Member

I want to do it too. Maybe when the tax refund comes!
Old 02-11-2009, 05:40 PM
illin
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sancho805
JUST PICKED UP MY CAR!

Please tell me you have a before/after dyno???

I am really on the fence about this one. I really dont have anything else to do and would like just a TINY bit more snappiness out of the car.

I just got gears (a few weeks ago) and it was a HUGE change...hard to even compare it to the stock car. So, IYO, was it as noticeable to gears (I have 373 also), almost as noticeable as gears...or noticeable...but nowhere nearly as good as gears?

If dynos...how do they look.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:54 PM
blackmustangv6
1st Gear Member

I'm hoping this is my next mod. Glad to hear it worked out well.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:55 PM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

What made you go with this Coast place rather than shaftmasters or powerhouse? The locality of their shop? Took a look at their site, looks pretty legit, and nice looking units too.

Quick Reply: Alum Driveshaft is coming... FINALLY!!