Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

level not lower, the car ? cut or what ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 02:40 PM
clintster77
2nd Gear Member

Default level not lower, the car ? cut or what ?

how much would I have to lower the rear to level the car ?
What would be the best way to do this ?
If its only about 1/4 of an inch I don't see why cutting them would be a problem.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:04 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

I've got some cut rear springs. Dont know how much they'd lower it though.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:58 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Nope, cutting is not the way to go when Roush
sells rear lowering springs by themselves for $125.
What a sweet deal.
Cutting of the rear stock springs causes all sorts
of wheel hoppage and a sooner to bottom out on
the bumpers rear end kinda ride.
Attached Thumbnails level not lower, the car ? cut or what ?-springsshocks.jpg  
Old 02-14-2009, 04:44 PM
clintster77
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157db
What a sweet deal.
I don't want to lower the car just get rid of the rake . Some lowering kits lower the rear more than the front how much is different by the kit. some are .3 of an inch if i'm not mistaken. I want to use tokico d but I want to run a softer ride overall so in actuality lowering springs in general are stiffer to compensate for less travel . I want more travel at near stock height . I know for a fact that if you cut a little off a spring (say 1/2 a coil) this increases the sprig rate as much as 10%. If you buy a lowering spring set they will be 10% stiffer to compensate for the lowering .

Now I don't think I would even need to take 1/2 a coil but if I did on the rear just to level the car it would be an improvement over the v6 stock setup because of oversteer (no rear sway bar) I plan on doing suspension mods but paying for springs is a waste of money unless you are going to lower it or go to a coilover setup.

that $125 can go towards the adjustable upper control arm I want.
there is a wrong way to do it and If I cut 2'' off them wheelhop would be an issue not all from the spring but the altered suspension geometry that someone being cheap would fail to correct .
no beef
maybe a better question would of been what is the stock ride height front compared to rear ? (on a v6)

Last edited by clintster77; 02-14-2009 at 04:46 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:49 PM
clintster77
2nd Gear Member

What a sweet deal.
I hope I did not misunderstand you . $125 for the rear . are those leveling springs ?
Old 02-15-2009, 02:29 PM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

This would be them...$127

http://store.roushperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=322

Of course, its also probably recommended to switch out the rear shocks too as 157db illustrates in that photo as well...

http://store.roushperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=324
Old 02-15-2009, 03:28 PM
clintster77
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by So_Cali

Of course, its also probably recommended to switch out the rear shocks too as 157db illustrates in that photo as well...

Dose it matter that they say for a GT and mine is a v6 ?
I read somewhere that a GT has a lower ride from the factory . if so those may still work if they are stock GT height as that would lower the rear only..Stiffer to
Old 02-15-2009, 04:50 PM
clintster77
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by So_Cali

I found these and they may be the same but I don't see a part number but it dose say one inch lower so that must be the magic number
roush leveling springs
Old 02-15-2009, 05:16 PM
illin
3rd Gear Member

What a sweet deal.
I agree 100%. Progressive rate springs are REALLY tough to "eyeball". We have cut monoshock springs and put them on a bench meter and can never get two springs to match up no matter how closely we cut.

I would be very concerned about quickly blowing through the stroke and maxing out the capability of the stops in a g-out scenario...you know, those sharp dips in county roads.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:02 PM
clintster77
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by illin
I agree 100%. Progressive rate springs are REALLY tough to "eyeball". We have cut monoshock springs and put them on a bench meter and can never get two springs to match up no matter how closely we cut.

I would be very concerned about quickly blowing through the stroke and maxing out the capability of the stops in a g-out scenario...you know, those sharp dips in county roads.
oh man you have access to a bench meter . I would jump at the chance to buy about 10 sets of gt takeoffs and start cutting about an inch off of them and match up the closest rear sets and specify which side to put the stiffer spring (like preloading a spring for drag racing) If you think about it a car is never symmetrical in its load anyway as most drivers weigh over 150 lbs.

I wouldn't use ones that are way off from each other though . anyone that is that worried about just a few lbs of rate are also the people that hate pan hard bars and want a watts link instead ( like me ) but I understand that a few lbs in the correct corner can be an advantage . I wish I could put the steering wheel in the center of the car and make it a one seater .

also I would probably add some rubber bump stops or some of those rubber spring shims that fit between the coils to stiffen up the spring as a cheap fix .

over one inch or so I would not feel comfortable cutting and would for sure buy some lowering springs . a car that has the maximum weight in the trunk or a lot of fat passengers would ride lower than 1 inch or so and would have more probs on that country road than a 1 inch cut spring . (In theory)

Quick Reply: level not lower, the car ? cut or what ?