Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Worst Valentines Day Ever...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 06:19 PM
jdphillips73
4th Gear Member

i had a ole lady slam into my bumper and front fender in dec....

the insurance paid 2100 to fix...they wanted to give to a body shop, but i insisted that it be cut to me...

i bought the fender painted , new, from fleabay, for 200 bucks
gt bumper and grille from newtakeoff.com for 350 shipped

with the left over, i bought new chrome bullets, sensors, 2 AC/DC tickets, paid off a credit card, and had 200 leftover to do what ever....

granted I did all the work... but i wouldnt have had it anyother way... i dont trust no one with my car....
Old 02-15-2009, 08:53 PM
melo15fan15
2nd Gear Member

Can i install it all myself without it being a huge hassell. I mean, im no newcomer to cars...i installed my own nitrous kit and little stuff like hood scoop and 3d carbon race spoiler but im hesitant on doing the work myself....

Also, for those who have done it already, whats the cost of a gt500 front end conversion? $1500?
Old 02-15-2009, 09:43 PM
rock61992
1st Gear Member

I just had a similar accident only a few weeks ago, you are probably gonna need a new radiator and condensor (maybe a transmission cooler which is sandwiched in between) try to get everything aftermarket or ebay, possibly check your local shops for places to find parts, you will probably need a new bumper reinforcement bar, and maybe a radiator support bar, check your frame rails for any buckleing or damage as that will need to get straigtened out by a frame machine at a shop.
All of this work is doable yourself and if u need a step by step i can help you out if u PM me, i did all this with my bro-in-law who is a senior master auto tech at my local ford dealership and he pretty much walked me through the entire process (good learning experience).
All you need to really worry about is painting, and the only way to get around that is to check your local technical/vocational colleges who will usually do labor for free and charge just materials. I was lucky enough to get the hook up with most things thanks to my bro. For now just do this:
1. check your car for anything that is damaged and know if it is fixable or needs to be replaced
2. make a list of things to be replaced and fixed
3. consider all options for addressing the problems (gt500 stuff, aftermarket/oem etc.)
4. shop around and compare numbers for the different options
5. decide which route is best for you
6. get to work ordering or fixing

Prices from directfordparts.com:
radiator--- $150 ford
condensor---$150 ford
re-bar--- $170 ford
radiator support--- $558 ford
the rest is all body stuff that u can price anywhere so have fun, oh and disconnect your battery so that it doesn't drain and drive your throttlebody crazy...
Old 02-16-2009, 04:15 AM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jdphillips73
i had a ole lady slam into my bumper and front fender in dec....

the insurance paid 2100 to fix...they wanted to give to a body shop, but i insisted that it be cut to me...

i bought the fender painted , new, from fleabay, for 200 bucks
gt bumper and grille from newtakeoff.com for 350 shipped

with the left over, i bought new chrome bullets, sensors, 2 AC/DC tickets, paid off a credit card, and had 200 leftover to do what ever....

granted I did all the work... but i wouldnt have had it anyother way... i dont trust no one with my car....
Knowhow=money baby. Good for you, I wish I had that ability. It's like my buddy who finds calculus a joke. Fvcking science math is funny for him, he finds it that easy. I've always envied people with minds that can just glance at something and instantly know what it takes to get it done and then do it. As far as cars go, I can take $hit apart just fine. Putting it all back together has proved to be my nemesis...

Last edited by Baddog; 02-16-2009 at 04:18 AM.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:12 PM
melo15fan15
2nd Gear Member

Alright guys i got the estimate today. Its $3600. Still not sure if i should just give to ford and let them handle it or just do it myself and pocket about 2 grand...hmmm.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:37 PM
afixer
5th Gear Member

it all depends if your a gambler. that's a lot of damage to take the responsibility of. they would at least have to guarantee the work. plus parts is parts. i had my rear bumper replaced under war and paid a few buck extra for them to install the cali special bumper. they had to paint it anyway. so they didn't care. so talk to the body guy. they have two catalogs one for replacement and one for accessory , belie it or not the acc catalog prices are better. times are bad work a deal with him for some swaps if he will or let him know youll take it down the street.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:59 PM
ABQstang89
3rd Gear Member

Yeah i figured it would be between three and four K. But yeah I would try and do it all yourself. Thats what I would do. However don't expect it to go too fast. When it comes to accidents nothing ever seems to go right. Might wanna take it somewhere to make sure the frame is ok before you make your decision.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:42 PM
melo15fan15
2nd Gear Member

Yea, well my dad wants me to get the gt500 front end...i think im going to get the GT one but im not sure yet. The GT500 front end is so aggressive looking its just so nice but quite pricey.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:14 PM
ABQstang89
3rd Gear Member

Yeah I would love to do the GT500 front end conversion on mine but it is very pricey. I'm sticking with go fast mods before i redo the front end. Well minus the stereo thats going in right now, and i must say painfully slow.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:03 PM
whitestang07
2nd Gear Member

there is a light combo on ebay headlights and corners for cheap

Quick Reply: Worst Valentines Day Ever...