Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New CAI for the V6 (no tune required)

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 12:48 AM
afixer
5th Gear Member

Default RE: New CAI for the V6 (no tune required)

ok well 150 miles so far no light yet. also taled to the guys at AFe today and was told that they could ship as soon as first week in july if test ok. they are also wondering if we (v6ers) would want it with or without the cover? it would save some money on the retail price but it would also be alittle louder. i know some would like this but i like the fact that you cant hear it untill you really jump on it. ill keep all posted.
Tom
Old 06-14-2005, 12:52 AM
afixer
5th Gear Member

here is a larger dyno with CAI and then both CAI and tune. remember regular gas ans first pass after reflash.

[IMG]local://upfiles/14019/5EBC594CD1B14DF89AA90179390A3CF5.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-14-2005, 03:03 AM
chrisc65
2nd Gear Member

Maybe you can join the San Diego club and come down one of the first Sundays of the month and show off your prize. I for one would like to check it out!

Oh...and I vote to keep the cover.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:15 AM
afixer
5th Gear Member

i do need to put some miles on it still . maybe ill drive down on night or atleast part way
Old 06-16-2005, 12:02 AM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

AFE's GT intake has a nice looking inlet tube. It looks very much like the K&N intake for the GT. You can see a pic at the bottom of this page:

http://www.v6mustangstuff.com/05AirFuel.htm

No new tube for the V6? Is only MMR putting one out?
Old 06-16-2005, 12:04 AM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

Oh... and I'd vote to keep the cover too. Seems like it would seperate it from the heat of the engine a bit better. I could be wrong. Have they dyno-ed with both versions (with and without the cover)?
Old 06-16-2005, 12:25 AM
afixer
5th Gear Member

when i go in on monday for the final tests ill ask if we can do both dynos. i just updated the software for my xcal2 and talked to dave at SCT and he gave me what i should log so i will data log everthing when we test. and yes the GT tube is nice but for now they said they will only offer the 1 stage kit for the v6. it sound great not to loud untill you romp on it the it growls.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:21 PM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

afixer... thanks for your extra efforts!

I'm kinda bummed that there's only been one CAI manufacturer out there that's made an inlet tube for our 4.0L's so far. They seem like half a kit. If you're gonna improve airflow, might as well clear the whole path. Maybe the products are a bit rushed out to meet demand. I want max gains, even if I only go with an 87 octane tune (gas is spendy ya know!).. so, I'm waiting for the aftermarket to evolve a bit further.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:10 AM
afixer
5th Gear Member

so here is the deal. 328 miles 7pm going up the 405 over the hill overdrive off punched it and the light came on :bang: so i pulled the codes with my xcal2 and it said i was lean. so i took it over to my friend at the dealer and we hooked it up to the WDS and did a freeze frame of the event. i was punched and at 78.9 MPH under heavy load when it happened. when we checked it it was running a little lean but hey its a proto type. so i went to AFE tuesday and we checked it out. It is right on the edge we hooded it up the the dyno and i also datalogged with my Xcal 2. so they changed the adapter to alow a little more air and decrease the velocity it richened the mix. so i will drive another 500 miles and see how it goes. 100 miles so far ill keep you posted.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:11 AM
afixer
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hamidlmt

afixer... thanks for your extra efforts!

I'm kinda bummed that there's only been one CAI manufacturer out there that's made an inlet tube for our 4.0L's so far. They seem like half a kit. If you're gonna improve airflow, might as well clear the whole path. Maybe the products are a bit rushed out to meet demand. I want max gains, even if I only go with an 87 octane tune (gas is spendy ya know!).. so, I'm waiting for the aftermarket to evolve a bit further.
when i was there yesterday the owner said they are going to make the tube!

Quick Reply: New CAI for the V6 (no tune required)