Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2009 4.0 stang!! at last

Old 02-18-2009, 01:29 AM
YLT09stang

Default 2009 4.0 stang!! at last

i was originally going for the GT but had to settle with the v6. basically..... i want some better performance out of my stang. i have a manual v6 and the only gear that is pretty respectable is my 2nd gear. for my first mods... i was thinking

1. billet grille, dual exhaust
2. 3.73 gears with t-lok
3. tune and cai

any tips for me??

thanks guys.... i finally got the car i wanted but a downgraded version i want some respect for a v6!!
Old 02-18-2009, 04:36 AM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

Looks like you have a pretty good list there to start off...

If I had to sart all over again, I'd go performance and start off with the CAI/Tuner and then 3.73s/T-Lok

You can get into the appearance a little later on...

Theres nothing wrong with a 6, so don't feel bad, you'll have fun with it...WELCOME!
Old 02-18-2009, 06:22 AM
project85
3rd Gear Member

w e l c o m e

2. 3.73 gears with t-lok
3. tune and cai

those should def wake up your car
Old 02-18-2009, 06:44 AM
mlong54
1st Gear Member

I love my 6er. I started off with a CAI and a tuner. I have shorty header and dual exhuasts waiting in my garage for this weekend. Welcome
Old 02-18-2009, 06:46 AM
illin
3rd Gear Member

I can highly rec you call Doug at Bama tunes and get the 93 race tune with one of the many CAIs to chose from. In all honesty, I dont think the CAI brand has a ton to do with it...it is his magical tuning that does it.

Just go 93 Race right off the bat and you will be amazed at the way it wakes up the motor. You will have to run 93 octane though. I am a cheapass and it is absolutely worth it!

Gears and tlok...spot on. Duals too...and you are set.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:21 AM
groved
1st Gear Member

I know the results from a tune are instant but wouldn't it make sense to do that after the CAI, exhaust and gears? Don't these mods require a new tune anyway?
Old 02-18-2009, 08:49 AM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

You should do the CAI and tune first. A CAI that will give you gains will require a tuner... so you really can't do the CAI before the tune. Also, the gears require a tuner to adjust the speedometer... so.. again.. the tuner comes first.

If you buy a CAI and tuner combination from someone like bamachips (or brenspeed), for example, they will update your tunes (you get three) for free to adjust for the gears. Dual exhaust does not require a new tune. The only item on that list that requires a tune to run is the CAI. The gears just throw off the speedometer... and you can actually adjust those settings yourself with your hand-held tuner (there is a gear ratio setting).

So...

1. CAI and tune combo

2. t-lok and 3.73

3. dual exhaust

That is the order with regard to performance gains. You could get the duals first... but you are not going to get much, if anything with regard to performance out of them.

The CAI and tune coupled with a t-lok and gears will literally transform your car... and it will give YOU the respect for your car that you are seeking

Last edited by MrSandman; 02-18-2009 at 08:53 AM.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:10 PM
ABQstang89
3rd Gear Member

Welcome to the 6ers. You will still like your car a lot even though its not a GT. My list looks similar to yours. Maybe you should just replace the rearend with an 8.8. I have heard some bad things about the tloc.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:06 PM
heartinacage
3rd Gear Member

Welcome! I wonder how many of us were actually in the market for a V6 instead of a GT. I know I was.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:08 PM
grindman620
2nd Gear Member

Dude big congrats on the new stang!!!! You will absolutely love your mustang every damn day..........OK now that that's done lol My first mod that I did on my 6er was a FRPP dual exhaust, then GT front and rear bumpers, Roush hood scoop, and other odds and ends. I was and still am so happy with my dual exhaust. If I had to suggest one thing to start with, it would be the exhaust!!!! Keep us posted on what you do.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2009 4.0 stang!! at last