Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Procharger: Good or Bad

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 05:24 PM
wynsboy

Default Procharger: Good or Bad

i just wanted to know what everybody thought about the procharger. i tried the search but nothing really came up. to me, it is the s/c you can get the most power from and you can get it for a decent price at a few retailers (rpm-outlet, supercharger4less). i know everybody loves x-chargers but not enough power for the price, sorry just my opinion. 350 rwhp seems like a really attainable goal with the procharger. any ideas/opinions are welcome.
thanks mark
Old 03-02-2009, 05:47 PM
wolfpup
bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay

procharger is a good company that makes good numbers if they have a v6 application i say go for it.... personally i like the roots blowers over the centris but thats just me
Old 03-02-2009, 06:48 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

I've driven this kit on the 4.0, on the street and at the track. Procharger owners see 12's pretty easy. If you go this route, I would do 4.10 gears to help spin the blower.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:58 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

I avoided the procharger because of reliability issues (per experienced mechanics), and went with a Vortech instead. Absolutely happy with it And yeah, running 12's.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:47 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

The x-charger makes 350 RQHP all day long stock in the California version (with the intercooler). It also sells better than the procharger.

The procharger and superchargers engineered like it are a terrible choice as this dyno graph of intercooled power adders at the same price point and approximate boost level illustrates (). This features a procharger for the v8 engine and a supercharger of the same size and basic design as the X-charger, as well as a turbo which i'll get to later:

The black line is the procharger
the red a turbo
the yellow a "twin screw".

The procharger makes 12% less horsepower throughout the length of the power range in most places in this graph.

As you can see aswell the procharger is inferior to the turbo at almost every point in the graph so there is no reason to ever get one over a turbo. Not only that a centri sounds just like an internally vented turbocharger. Also the cost of getting a similar quality turbo kit that's produces 350rwhp is about same so it's not economical based on a quick initial check.

Save your money man instead of going with a procharger.

Last edited by Legion5; 03-02-2009 at 11:09 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:00 AM
basketballord
4th Gear Member

I think the main reliability issues with the ProChargers were with the earlier models. Seems they have been worked out since then. I think as far as centri's go, the Procharger is a serious option to look at. Great numbers with that kit.

But if you're really in the market for FI, I'd check out the PH turbo kit. There might be a group buy going on somewhere on the internet *wink wink nudge nudge
Had the PH turbo had a group buy back when I was in the market for FI, I may have gone that route. Best numbers out of the 4.0 and highest ceiling for power.

It's whatever floats your boat man. Weigh the pros and cons of each type.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:35 PM
wynsboy

Im pretty sure the x-charger has not come out with intercooler yet. and i just checked the explorer-express website and the best number they have is 282 rwhp and 284 rwtq and that is with the hipo kit. im sure if hooked it up to a 75 shot of nos it would get to 350 rwhp. can anybody tell me what the difference btw the hipo and hipo plus kit is, hp/tq wise. and rygen, can you explain why the procharger would need 4.10's to get it to spin up quicker. but all this aside, the ph turbo group buy looks pretty intriguing.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:37 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

20rwhp difference between the hipo (3" pulley) and hipo plus (2.8" pulley) at least that is what Dave told me and I assume he meant rwhp and not hp
Old 03-03-2009, 07:08 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

how much can our 4.0 take? seems like even though more power is attainable through various F/I applications, there will be increased engine stress and that can cause potential problems down the road for the DD. i'm not sure on this, just a thought.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:27 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

The Gen1 Prochargers, when the 4.0 first came out were problematic, lots of fitment and quality issues. I remember reading the first 4.0 test mule over on TMS about it, he had quite a few problems. But after that they revised the kit, it works well. There is a huge debate about Procharger vs. Vortech, so far, the general consensus...if there is one, is that the Procharger is more for drag strip applications...though it is ok for street, and the Vortech is more for street application, though its ok at the track. Not sure if that makes sense, but Vortech is focused more on street ability and quality as a street car first.

Legion: We haven't seen a 350rwhp Xcharger yet. What we saw is a 91 octane IC xcharger that should put out more power, however, hitting 350 by going from 91 octane to 93 octane is a stretch. As far as outselling, there are factors in play with that, namely the group buy pricing fueling most of the sales, along with the fact that it has a super clean install. I'm a fan of the kit obviously, but to be objective, its an apples to oranges comparison.

To the Op: It depends on your application and what you want. Leaving turbos out of the equation (which is my personal preference), a Centri (like a Procharger/Vortech) will have more top end over the MP90, even intercooled. That does not mean the Centri will win in the 1/4, it's just a matter of what power band you prefer. The Xcharger is going to come out of the hole harder, while the centri has to wind up and will make big power on the top end of the track. With a centri, 4.10's for a 1/4 mile application are a given. I've driven every kit on the street and at the track for the 4.0, except the Forced4 kit. I can tell you on street tires, the centri was the easiest to launch, due to it not building boost till it was somewhat rolling. On the X, I could blow the tires away at will. Of course, this all depends on gearing, setup, etc.

The question is: Are people running it, reliably, yes, they are. Its a fact. I know a lot of mechanics that prefer the Vortech over the PC, but at the end of the day, its still a good quality kit, and there's a huge debate that the stock head unit on the PC is more efficient than the stock head unit in the VT. I have my opinions, based on talking to guys at the track about it, but not going to touch that one here with a 20ft pole.

I can tell you this, putting together a 12 second Vortech/Procharger setup is easy, documented and can be safe with the right tune. And once the IC is available to the X, it will be easy for that kit too.

What are your goals for the car? What is your budget?

Quick Reply: Procharger: Good or Bad