Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Launching our cars properly

Old 03-03-2009, 02:50 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Default Launching our cars properly

I drive an Automatic and I've got no idea how to "properly" launch the car... Anyone have a write-up or know of a video tutorial on how to launch the car right? I assume its a lot more then just peddle to the metal
Old 03-03-2009, 03:05 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Left foot hold brake.
Right foot rev up to about 2100 RPM.

Green light, release left foot, and slam down right foot

And most importantly, keep the front of the car pointing forward.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:53 PM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ODDYSEY
Left foot hold brake.
Right foot rev up to about 2100 RPM.

Green light, release left foot, and slam down right foot

And most importantly, keep the front of the car pointing forward.
Make sure the TCS is off as well...
Old 03-03-2009, 04:04 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Wont my tires be peeling out or do I have to neutral drop it?
Old 03-03-2009, 04:18 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Originally Posted by maxshuty
Wont my tires be peeling out or do I have to neutral drop it?
no neutral drops! that is not good for a stock car. You could do damage to your transmission.

You have to play with the RPM's for launching to get the best traction and jump.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:41 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Tires/grip may be your biggest issue.

You'll have to try different rpms and see what works best, too.

But yeah, essentially, rev up the rpms a little while holding the brake with your left foot, then when it's time to go, release the brake and floor it at the same time. And keep it floored all the way to the finish line.

Oh yeah, put it in Drive and leave it there.

I like to do my burnouts in 2nd gear, roll out of the burnout, stop, put in in Drive, then stage. If you have stock rear end and on trac-loc, then you'll only spin one wheel, so dont waste much time in the burnout toasting 1 wheel!
Old 03-03-2009, 05:55 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by maxshuty
I drive an Automatic and I've got no idea how to "properly" launch the car... Anyone have a write-up or know of a video tutorial on how to launch the car right? I assume its a lot more then just peddle to the metal
You didn't say if your taking street or strip and if you'll be on the stock tires. Don't rule out pedal to the metal. You have to experiment and see what works for you.
At the track on street tires just do a quick dry hop to clean the tires off, stay away from the water box and keep the tires dry. Leave on the last yellow. Red lighting won't affect your ET but does matter if you get to the finish lie first.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:52 PM
AlloySixxer
3rd Gear Member

Ok not to steal this post, but it's on topic. I recently had the 8.8 installed and now when I stomp the gas I fishtail like crazy . It's fun and all but also slows me down alot. I'm gonna be going to the track on the 22nd so I was just wondering what I should do? Is it my stock tires?
Old 03-03-2009, 07:31 PM
jimkaray
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AlloySixxer
Ok not to steal this post, but it's on topic. I recently had the 8.8 installed and now when I stomp the gas I fishtail like crazy . It's fun and all but also slows me down alot. I'm gonna be going to the track on the 22nd so I was just wondering what I should do? Is it my stock tires?
You'll have better traction at the track but the stock tires are no match for your mods. Try keeping them @ 36psi and avoid any water. Do a dry hop just before you stage. If your a stick you'll need to slip the clutch and press the go pedal as little/or much as needed to keep the tires from breaking loose while letting the clutch out as fast as possible with out bogging the motor. A little bit of light spin is OK and will usually help.
With an auto you'll probably need to find a balance of how fast you can mash the pedal while not breaking the tires loose.
Make a plan as to what you are going to try before you get to the line. Keep a log what you actually did on each run and compare them to see what is working. Your 60' times will tell you what works best for the launch.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:33 PM
AlloySixxer
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jimkaray
You'll have better traction at the track but the stock tires are no match for your mods. Try keeping them @ 36psi and avoid any water. Do a dry hop just before you stage. If your a stick you'll need to slip the clutch and press the go pedal as little/or much as needed to keep the tires from breaking loose while letting the clutch out as fast as possible with out bogging the motor. A little bit of light spin is OK and will usually help.
With an auto you'll probably need to find a balance of how fast you can mash the pedal while not breaking the tires loose.
Make a plan as to what you are going to try before you get to the line. Keep a log what you actually did on each run and compare them to see what is working. Your 60' times will tell you what works best for the launch.
Yeah I'm an auto so I'll just try to find that perfect amount and speed of depression to get me going without too much spinning, thanks. Looks like new rims and tires are in order after these wear out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Launching our cars properly