Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Cold Air and Tuner Advice Please!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 05:22 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

doug never charged me when i changed my intake and needed new tunes.

sure you can get 93 perf but i'm sure you will hardly use it. 87 perf makes more sense if you are traveling long distances because 87 octane can be found everywhere. 91 or 93 varies on location. the 87 perf is more for piece of mind.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:32 PM
ABQstang89
3rd Gear Member

I would not tie yourself down with getting tunes from just one octane. I would get atleast one 87 tune. The recommended 87 performance 91/93 performance and 91/93 torque is probably the best bet. You also mentioned early that you did not have a good understanding of the difference in the tunes. I'm pretty sure there is a tutorial on bama's site for theirs.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:39 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jf713jf
I think that right now Bama only sells the C&L intake in a combo deal. Should I get the Predator tuner or the more expensive X-calibrator one?...
ur right. i guess doug stopped selling the JLT and only sells the C&L now. either way, if you get a JLT, he will provide you with the appropriate tunes. in fact, he's got tunes for most of the intakes on the market. if you want to buy the JLT combo somewhere else, go for it. you will still have the option of purchasing tune files from a shop of your choice.

as for the programmer, bama supports both diablo and sct so you are good either way. the tunes themselves should not be any different on either tuner. only difference is the actual hardware that the tunes are loaded into and the extra features that the programmer provides. think of it like this... you got an mp3 music file saved on a cd. you import that file into a Mac and a PC. the music file doesn't change, just the computer its saved on. i believe the new sct offers new EXTRA features and a nice screen that pushes the price up. i use a diablo and have ZERO issues. another important note however is that you'll find more tuning shops that support SCT over diablo. might not mean much now but it may down the road if you ever decide to get big mods and tunes direct from a shop in person. find out what the shops are using around your area. either tuner is a no-lose in my opinion. good luck.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:10 PM
jf713jf
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sancho805
think of it like this... you got an mp3 music file saved on a cd. you import that file into a Mac and a PC. the music file doesn't change, just the computer its saved on. i believe the new sct offers new EXTRA features and a nice screen that pushes the price up.
Funny you should use the mac and pc reference. I have a mac as my main computer but also own a pc that I could use if I needed to. Does the SCT program run on mac? It seems like a sort of a small market (Mac owning mustang tuners)
Old 03-04-2009, 06:22 PM
jf713jf
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ABQstang89
I would not tie yourself down with getting tunes from just one octane. I would get atleast one 87 tune. The recommended 87 performance 91/93 performance and 91/93 torque is probably the best bet. You also mentioned early that you did not have a good understanding of the difference in the tunes. I'm pretty sure there is a tutorial on bama's site for theirs.
Do you mean 87 performance, 91/93 race 91/93 torque? I think thats what sancho said, right?
Old 03-04-2009, 10:25 PM
my first mustang
3rd Gear Member

There right. Its a very good idea to have one 87 tune to fall back on if you can't get 91/93 gas or if you just want to save money on gas.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:30 PM
jf713jf
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by my first mustang
There right. Its a very good idea to have one 87 tune to fall back on if you can't get 91/93 gas or if you just want to save money on gas.
So I should have Performance 87 as one? Ok so that leaves my 91/93 slots open... Should I get Torque and Race since its one of the cars he does a Race tune for or should I go with Torque and Performance or Race and Performance...

He made it sound like "Race" was his highest performing tune, but that it was not suited for everyday use because of the way your car will take off every time you leave a stop sign.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:52 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

i recommend 87 perf... 91/93 torq... 91/93 race. the race should outperform all and the torq is a great daily driver/cruising/traveling tune.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:48 PM
illin
3rd Gear Member

Just to make things a bit more confusing...I have several from Doug and will never load anything but his 93 Race. It blows the other tunes (even his) away...nothing else comes close.

This is not a subtle change...but night and day.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:29 PM
jf713jf
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by illin
Just to make things a bit more confusing...I have several from Doug and will never load anything but his 93 Race. It blows the other tunes (even his) away...nothing else comes close.

This is not a subtle change...but night and day.
I'm probably going to go with Sancho's suggestions but on a sort of off topic note I was jw if your 'stang is your daily driver because Doug made it seem like Race was overkill for going to pick up some Burger King.

Quick Reply: Cold Air and Tuner Advice Please!