Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Cold Air and Tuner Advice Please!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 07:48 PM
jf713jf
2nd Gear Member

Default Cold Air and Tuner Advice Please!

I've never done any performance upgrades before. I've heard that a good starting point is a Cold Air Intake with a tuner. I've been looking on
AmericanMuscle.com and I thing that the a JLT one looks good

http://www.americanmuscle.com/jlt-sct-0509v6-kit.html

It's the combo where you get the SCT SF3 tuner along with it with the ability to get email tunes. I have seen plenty of JLT phrase on various forums, but I was wondering if the tuner included in the combo is good enough. I plan on doing more with my car in the future, maybe including forced intake, so I would rather not have to buy a tuner twice.

If i'm making a mistake buying a JLT, please tell me. It does look good being the cheapest of the combo deals.

Thankyou everyone for your help.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:14 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

I would strongly recommend checking out bamachips.com and not get a canned tune. I think you will be extremely happy with a bama tune.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:17 PM
jf713jf
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ODDYSEY
I would strongly recommend checking out bamachips.com and not get a canned tune. I think you will be extremely happy with a bama tune.
Are you sure that it's a canned? I thought as long as you could put custom tunes on it wasn't . Im sortof a newbie at this. Let me go and check out that site.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:59 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Canned tunes are the ones that come with the tuner.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:07 PM
jf713jf
2nd Gear Member

Canned tunes are the ones that come with the tuner.
won't it be better once I get the emailed tunes from SCT?
Old 03-03-2009, 09:10 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

I am fairly sure those are considered canned tunes also. I think you need to get one from like bamachips, brenspeed, evo, etc.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:16 PM
jf713jf
2nd Gear Member

I am fairly sure those are considered canned tunes also. I think you need to get one from like bamachips, brenspeed, evo, etc.
Can I use bamatunes with my americanmuscle purchased tuner? should I just buy my tuner straight from bamatunes? I have no idea how their cold air combos are. Should I just save myself some money, get a tuner, and save up for an X-charger? I'm full of questions
Old 03-03-2009, 09:32 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

No problem on the questions, that what we are here for

1.) You can use the bamatunes tune file on your tuner as long as you get the correct file for the correct tuner. I believe Doug at bama supports both X-Cal and diablo tuners.

2.) You also need to make sure he supports the correct CAI you are going to purchase also.

3.) I would just buy the CAI/Tuner from one of the major tuning company's ie bama, brenspeed, evo etc. It may be a little more expensive, but it will be alot less headache and you will get much better performance. If you plan on purchasing a seperate tune file it will be the same price as just purchasing the entire thing from them to begin with.

4.) If you are serious about an x-charger, ask yourself how long will it be before you get it? I waited over a year so I went ahead about bought a CAI/Tuner.

Everyones opinion will vary, but ask yourself how much you are wanting to spend, and what your ultimate goal is. The best way to save yourself money and headache is to sit down and put a list together of all things you want, but before that read, read, read. There is alot of information on these forums that will help you out tremendously and ask tons of questions
Old 03-03-2009, 09:40 PM
jf713jf
2nd Gear Member

No problem on the questions, that what we are here for

1.) You can use the bamatunes tune file on your tuner as long as you get the correct file for the correct tuner. I believe Doug at bama supports both X-Cal and diablo tuners.

2.) You also need to make sure he supports the correct CAI you are going to purchase also.

3.) I would just buy the CAI/Tuner from one of the major tuning company's ie bama, brenspeed, evo etc. It may be a little more expensive, but it will be alot less headache and you will get much better performance. If you plan on purchasing a seperate tune file it will be the same price as just purchasing the entire thing from them to begin with.

4.) If you are serious about an x-charger, ask yourself how long will it be before you get it? I waited over a year so I went ahead about bought a CAI/Tuner.

Everyones opinion will vary, but ask yourself how much you are wanting to spend, and what your ultimate goal is. The best way to save yourself money and headache is to sit down and put a list together of all things you want, but before that read, read, read. There is alot of information on these forums that will help you out tremendously and ask tons of questions
I would just like to thank you for help, I'm learning a lot from your explanations!

As far as my goals for getting to the point of X-C, it's definitely going to be at least a year. I don't have the funds and I won't for a while.

Am I right in going for a CAI first? I'm just looking for the best bang for my buck on my first upgrade. I want to get more into tuning and I thing this would be a good starting point. Do you think this is the most cost-effective first upgrade?
Old 03-03-2009, 10:03 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Hands down the best "feel" mod you can do. CAI/Tune is definitely recommended across the board for first mod

It is like a whole new car, and if you are talking a year or so out on the x/c go ahead and do it!

Quick Reply: Cold Air and Tuner Advice Please!