Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

What to do 5-Speed or Auto

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 10:16 PM
family truckster

Default RE: What to do 5-Speed or Auto

I would definately try and find a manual to drive first.

When I test drove the manual V6, it felt real good and pretty peppy. But I was still planning to order the Auto (I prefer automatics). Since I plan on having this car for a while, it's a convertible and a summer fun car only, I went to another dealership to try the auto. I'm very glad I did, If you punched it, it felt as fast but when coming out of a corner or just crusing around it was sluggish to me. So I ordered the stick.

After a couple of months there are a couple of things. The shifter doesnt feel precise at all, I never drove a stick that was hard to get into second gear when getting on it. I will be buying a quality aftermarket shifter when they come out with one. Secondly, the cup holder position is terrible. Anything taller than a can gets in the way even with the rear bottom removed.

I still don't regret my decision to get the manual though.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:47 PM
Badash
1st Gear Member

I like my manual. Although its a bitch on a hill.
Old 06-19-2005, 02:35 AM
05Retro
3rd Gear Member

I'm 54 and have had a lot of automactics and manual cars but for this one I would diffenatly advise the stick I have a 05 GT 5 speed and even with the six you will not believe how a car of this stature will make you feel like your 16 all over again, GO FOR THE STICK and enjoy it you deserve it.

[IMG]local://upfiles/13839/5D6409D00287453F8CA6BDCD4E46A0B1.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-30-2005, 05:36 PM
ChristopherCamel
2nd Gear Member

cup holders dont make a difference to me..i refuse to ever eat or drink in my car..shifting into second works for for me even at when driving it hard
Old 06-30-2005, 07:57 PM
MyFirstPony
1st Gear Member

Drive both if you can--- there are advantages to both. I live in a hilly area, and my wife is scared to death of manual transmissions (not that I'll let her drive it very often ) so I went with the auto. The auto is very smooth, letting me concentrate on what an awesome vehicle I am lucky enough to own, rather than shifting.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:54 PM
ScottRNelson
2nd Gear Member

Before the test drive, I figured it really didn't make a difference to me if the Mustang had the manual transmission or the automatic. However, the first one I drove had a manual and it worked very well. So well, in fact, that I bought that car three days later.

As for kids needing to drive automatics, they can learn to drive manual transmission cars. I made mine take the drivers test with a manual transmission. They had to be better drivers to be able to do that and it has made a difference.

Unless you're one of those who hates to shift, consider the manual transmission. If you spend the majority of your time in stop and go traffic, especially on backed up freeways, then maybe the automatic is a better choice. Fortunately, I don't commute any more and I enjoy the 5-speed manual transmission.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:24 PM
ChewbaccaD
2nd Gear Member

I'd agree that people are either Manual or Automatic by blood. I used to drive 35 miles each way in DC traffic for years, and it never bothered me once that my truck was a stick. Now that I have a GT, I knew it had to Manual. I did test drive both, and I will give the A/T some serious props. It was nice, nice enough to warrant serious consideration. The A/T felt just a little weaker, but barely noticeable. It's probably the second nicest A/T I've ever felt (the first being a Murano, if you believe that). In the end though, I got a Mustang for the driving experience... and that means I need a shifter in my hand and a clutch at my feet.

I will also second the point that the cupholders are probably in the WORST spot possible. I don't use them in mine very often, but if you're a daily commuter with a serious drive then odds are you probably would use them and anything larger than a soda can will really feel in the way. Bring a drink to the test drive to see if it bothers you in either model.
Old 07-03-2005, 08:22 PM
Bruno

The auto works great. But if you only drive in light traffic, I'd say get the manual. I prefer the manual, but I have too much stop and go traffic. Also the manual is really, really tough to find. I would think the ability to start in second in the snow would be a plus, although if you had TCS it probably wouldn't matter much. My recommendation is find the car with the options and color you like, then take whatever tranny is in it. If you plan to order it, get a manual.