Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Eaton LSD

Old 03-13-2009, 02:51 PM
SThom27
1st Gear Member

Default Eaton LSD

Does anyone know how much and Eaton LSD costs? I know they're tougher than a FRPP LSD, but if they're a lot more in price, I'm not racing it, just driving to work and back.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:59 PM
illin
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SThom27
Does anyone know how much and Eaton LSD costs? I know they're tougher than a FRPP LSD, but if they're a lot more in price, I'm not racing it, just driving to work and back.
I wrote it down someplace when I was rear end shopping (that sounds weird...).

Anyway, I looked and just cannot find my notebook. However, I recall writing down $426 and $186 for diffs...and I am positive I was comparing the price of the Eaton vs. the FRPP.

I just went through this and went with a GT takeoff as it came out cheaper for me. I could not be happier with the result...but a built (as in with quality parts) 7.5" is a great option too.

Those prices on Newtakeoff rear ends are just "suggestions" they will come down quite a bit...all you have to do is ask. FYI, they did not want to come down much on the 4.10's, but the 3.73's can be had on the cheap!
Old 03-13-2009, 03:09 PM
SThom27
1st Gear Member

Is there any kind of power loss with the 8.8"? I mean other than the extra weight. I guess I could put it together with an aluminum driveshaft and come out about the same with a lot tougher rear end.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:19 PM
illin
3rd Gear Member

I dont have a before/after dyno...but I cannot imagine there being any measurable difference.

I went from ho-hum to HOLY FREAKIN' COW! Going from the Stock 3.31 to 8.8" 3.73 was a HUGE seat of the pants feeling. I could not believe the difference. I now this is a power delivery mod, but it FEELS like 50+ hp...no question about it. Plus, now when I step on the gas, the car actually moves instead of just spinning the light tire.

Both my dad (an old track junky with a building full of Mustangs) and next door neighbor have GTs and both have said my car feels really quick off the line and really not much different than a stock GT. Our track times (the day my old man picked his car up (way to break it in!) showed just a hair slower at the 1/8th. He did beat me by almost a full second in the 1/4, but at the 1/8th he was a nose ahead. Before the diff change...it would have been multiple lengths. He has all the slips from that day, but if I recall, our 1/8th diffs were less than 1/4 of second. End times were all around 7/10-a full second faster...but hey...not bad for a low tech truck motor!
Old 03-13-2009, 03:25 PM
Stang-aholic
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by illin
......Plus, now when I step on the gas, the car actually moves instead of just spinning the light tire.......
Yeah i get that all the time it annoys the crap out of me, and sometimes its dangerous, when its raining and your up a slope and press the gas the car spins the tire and you have to SLOWLY ease the gas. BTW how much did you get the 8.8 for with the 3.73? im gonna get one soon and didnt want to pay 875 for one
Old 03-13-2009, 03:32 PM
illin
3rd Gear Member

Just a touch over $775 at the door. BUT, I live about 150 miles from them, so shipping for them was pretty low. If you can get them to cover shipping and knock off $50-100...it would be a good deal for sure!

I did all the pricing (FRPP parts) and the price came out about the same. But, I wanted a whine free setup that was turn-key...and now I am already set for FI.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:53 PM
Stang-aholic
4th Gear Member

sounds like a really good deal will definitely give them a call, how hard was the install?
Old 03-13-2009, 04:56 PM
illin
3rd Gear Member

I have a independent mechanic that does all my work. I think I paid him $120 cash.

It is a DIY for sure, but the sheer weight was too much for me to handle on the ground. With a lift and a buddy, it would have been a two hour gig even with my low IQ.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:42 PM
SThom27
1st Gear Member

It's still almost $900 for a takeoff rear-end. $426 for an eaton true-trac, around $200 for 3.73 gears, that's only $650. How much do most places charge for installs? If it's under $200, then it's better to keep the 7.5". Provided it's a clean install with little to no whine.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:51 PM
illin
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SThom27
It's still almost $900 for a takeoff rear-end. $426 for an eaton true-trac, around $200 for 3.73 gears, that's only $650. How much do most places charge for installs? If it's under $200, then it's better to keep the 7.5". Provided it's a clean install with little to no whine.
I called 5-6 quality shops, and the cheapest I found was $330 for an install. Gears are not an easy job.

I had one local tranny place tell me they would do it for $225, but I did not get a warm/fuzzy that they had a clue about doing it correctly.

So, $425 +$200 +$60 (bearing kit & fluid) + $325ish = $1010

You are doing the exact same math I did...and wound up going takeoff. I figured I was then set for FI for sure. Although, I am pretty sure that 7.5 with an Eton is a solid setup. I have seen a few guys around here that run those on high HP setups without issues. I KNOW the 8.8" GT rear is a solid bet for 300-350HP...no issues there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Eaton LSD