Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

X-Charger #101 - Pics & Review

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 11:30 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Default X-Charger #101 - Pics & Review

Well it is offically done. I got my x-charger installed this evening, and so far everything seems to be working great! We had a few "incidents" but overall everything went extremely well.

X-Charger Review:
First of all, Dave & Patty over at Explorer Express are great people. I have never had better customer service from anywhere. Ever. I hope everyone has the chance to work with them.

Second, the parts were excellent quality, the instructions were great, and the performance of the kit is amazing! It was wet outside when I went on my first drive so I couldn't really get into it, but I was able to do it a little later and wow what a difference!

If any of you are on the fence about getting an x-charger, or if you think it is too much money, I am telling you now... just do it! It is definitely more power than I was expecting, not to mention it sounds great and looks great!

X-Charger Installation:
We had a few issues with the install, but everything worked out in the end. The problems were no fault of the kit, just me not paying attention. The worst things was I ended up snapping a bolt off into the block. Scared the crap out of me, but I was able to get it out without any problems.

We did however have a good time installing it. Here are a few pictures of the install...

Old 03-16-2009, 01:10 AM
afixer
5th Gear Member

MAN THAT LOOKS REALLY GOOD IN THERE. ONLY ONE THING, I USE DUCT TAPE TO COVER THE INTAKES . ITS JUST A LOT STRONGER AND SAFER IN CASE FUEL SPILLS ON IT SO THAT THE TAPE WONT PULL AWAY.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:33 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

AWESOME JOB! You sure wasted no time installing the X. The thing I love about the X is it looks OEM (ie factory-installed). Glad to hear all went well...
Old 03-16-2009, 07:34 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Yea alot of full did spill out of it, but I had tons of shop towels ready for it. I was just worried duct tape would have left sticky stuff everywhere.

And the most important thing of the entire process... save your back as much as possible! My back was killing me!
Old 03-16-2009, 08:05 AM
Full Throttle
2nd Gear Member

the X sure looks good there. Congrats and lets see some videos now
Old 03-16-2009, 08:47 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Yea I will work on the videos as soon as it is dry outside. Should be this week. I know I need to be careful in the rain now, I punched it at 50mph and put the car sideways... thankfully I was smart and did it on a wide open road with no one around
Old 03-16-2009, 10:20 AM
wolfpup
bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay

congrats man looks good... how long did your install take?
Old 03-16-2009, 10:35 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Originally Posted by wolfpup
congrats man looks good... how long did your install take?
Probably alot longer than it should have. But I took my time, we took alot of breaks (back was killing me!) and had to make 3 trips to Auto Zone.

I started at 9 a.m. Saturday and had to stop at midnight because I was missing a tool. Then started up again at 1pm Sunday and finished by 5pm Sunday.

So about 20 hours, subtract about 5 hours of not really working on the car, and it was 15 hours

But this install wasn't about getting it done fast, it was about getting it done right. Thus the reason it fired up first try and ran like a champ! I had a couple of guys with me who were not mechanically inclined and were just there to watch and learn. We did have some fun though.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:56 AM
afixer
5th Gear Member

yep on the back. mine actually was pretty good. if you noticed on the web cast i just paced myself and walked around alot to keep from staining the old bones!
Old 03-16-2009, 11:52 AM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

awesome job. let us know the full experience on dry and safer roads!

Quick Reply: X-Charger #101 - Pics & Review