Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Hids don't work. Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 11:22 PM
locorider21
1st Gear Member

Default Hids don't work. Help

Hey guys I installed my
Hid kit today and they look great. But when I start the engine the relay rattles like crazy and the lights turn off. But when the engine is off the lights works fine and the relay doesn't buzz. What's going on ? I've replaced the relay. Same
Thing happens
Old 03-21-2009, 12:58 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Step us thru the wiring process to see where you went wrong.
Seems like you missed a ground or something simple.
Or all six of your alternator diodes shorted closed and
its passing AC into the system (very unlikely).
Old 03-21-2009, 01:17 AM
locorider21
1st Gear Member

Ok. Each ballast came with the bulb installed with a connection to the ballast and a blue wire and a black wire that were suppsed to plug
Into the factory wiring. But I bought the connector with the relay and 3
Fuses. This is how I wired it. The primary housing: has the bulb in the housing and the original ballast connector and factor wire connectors from the bulb were taped and hidden. The secondary housing was done the same
Way. Then I took the additional relay harness and connected the red poower wire to the battery and the ground to a spot on the car. The relay harness had two ballast connectors and a black wire and blue wire. I connected the blue wire to the low beam cable of the original factory housing and the black wire to the black ground wire of the original housing. The two ballast connectors from the relay harness plugged into the ballasts and the secondary factory connector I taped closed and didn't use. Now the lights work with the car off but when the car is on they shut off. And the relay buzzes. I replaced the relay and they worked with the car on and off but after 5 minutes same thing. They shut off when the car is on but works fine no buzzing after the car is off
Old 03-21-2009, 01:27 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Its the SJB that does not see the OEM bulb resistance
and is indicating so by the erratic behavior.
Load each side with a load resistor or a second relay.
Are they high and low beam HIDs.
Whats the kit brand name and whom makes it?
Where did you procure this HID kit? eBay ??

Its a common problem....

Last edited by 157dB; 03-21-2009 at 01:37 AM.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:35 AM
locorider21
1st Gear Member

there just low beams hid. I don't use high beam
Xenon world. I saw them
On eBay. Powerseller. Good reviews.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:46 AM
locorider21
1st Gear Member

What's the sjb and what's the easiest way to fix this
Old 03-21-2009, 11:01 AM
illin
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by locorider21
there just low beams hid. I don't use high beam
Xenon world. I saw them
On eBay. Powerseller. Good reviews.
Would seem to be a bad review here.

I would seriously consider stopping and sending it back and getting your money back. When I priced kits, Retro Solutions was only slightly than the Ebat kits (maybe 10%) and you get an actual person with countless threads of satisfied customers. Mine installed in 5 mins tops.

My advice is cut your losses...mail it back (I assume he has a return policy??) and get a kit from a trusted seller that will send you some instructions. These kits are idiot proof (think how many knuckledheads are out there). Other than hooking up a ground, it is ALL unplug and plug in...very easy.

You either got a bad kit, the wrong kit or a kit that is not built to spec for our cars. Without someone to call...you may never know.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:29 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by locorider21
What's the sjb and what's the easiest way to fix this

SmartJunctionBox.
Either return the 'eBay' HIDs
and get good ones or get a
degree in electronics and
install a load resistor or a second
relay as previously recommended.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:18 PM
apollo7keep

I had this exact same issue with a kit from Xenon Expert. Lights worked fine with engine off, engine on they flashed and went off. My kit is the single beam, supposed to be low beam only as well. I fixed the problem by connecting the kit to the high beam wire (believe it was the purple/yellow ones in the housing) as opposed to the low beam. Works great, you just have to keep the high beam switch on when you want headlights, low beams now do nothing of course. Hope this helps.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:41 AM
locorider21
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by apollo7keep
I had this exact same issue with a kit from Xenon Expert. Lights worked fine with engine off, engine on they flashed and went off. My kit is the single beam, supposed to be low beam only as well. I fixed the problem by connecting the kit to the high beam wire (believe it was the purple/yellow ones in the housing) as opposed to the low beam. Works great, you just have to keep the high beam switch on when you want headlights, low beams now do nothing of course. Hope this helps.
hi appolo.. i actually just got rid of the relay harness and installed the lights without the relay directly into the low beam wires for each light.. WORKS great now..

Quick Reply: Hids don't work. Help