Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Would you buy a ex rental stang?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 05:06 PM
jdphillips73
4th Gear Member

wait another year and you'll get the same car for 6-8k. rental or not.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:58 PM
Mac8008

Originally Posted by kingsofcrunk
I bet a 370z owner would say the say thing about your car. Damn, that's gotta hurt!
Old 03-25-2009, 08:13 PM
Real Sniper
Admin's Snitch

I worked for Hertz Rental Cars. I would never buy a former rental car. Be careful because dealers will call them "Program" cars too.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:20 PM
Buckshot Barry
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by maxshuty
I got mine and I found out later that it was a rental... it surprised me but mine is in great condition really. The only thing I noticed when I got the stang was a small stain in the back seat but it was hardly noticeable. The tires looked new when i got the car, the engine was sparkly clean, overall it's a great car and I'm very happy with it. Get a carfax and test drive it.

Max, did your Pony have body side molding on the doors when your bought it? I think that "option" is only available on fleet cars.

Thanks
Old 03-25-2009, 08:35 PM
illin
3rd Gear Member

With all the stupid-low prices on Stangs now...why would you ever buy a car that HAS been abused...how many times is the question.

Here is a great place to start...there are some BARGAINS here:

http://www.carmax.com/enUS/search-re...c-37f18d108bcb
Old 03-25-2009, 08:55 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Buckshot Barry
Max, did your Pony have body side molding on the doors when your bought it? I think that "option" is only available on fleet cars.

Thanks
Yes it did -- however I dont know if thats true about only being on Fleet cars... Anyone else know??

Either way I like them for now because they seem to reduce the plainess of the car. The other day I saw the exact same car as mine just without them and I actually didn't like it so much. When I get a hood scoop or duals or something like that then they're gone.

Also you will be able to get the same car for a lot cheaper in a year like the other poster said.

When I got my car it was priced about $1-2K cheaper then all the other same Mustangs in my area so it was a no brainer (even though it was an ex-rental -- although I didn't know that) especially since it had the Factory Warranty...

In a few years I'll probably be upgrading to an 09 Sixxer or GT anyways. Or maybe buy my dream of an Elise.............
Old 03-26-2009, 12:59 PM
PennState
6th Gear Member

i would stay away, many people rent them to have some fun for the weekend.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:47 PM
heartinacage
3rd Gear Member

Based on previous experiences of buying an ex-rental car, i'd say no. The people the rent the cars don't take care of it, because it's not theirs. I should've inspected the entire car before I bought. Luckily, I got rid of it last year for a brand new car.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:25 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Everyone is saying not too, however, if you have a choice between a car that was a fleet/rental car or one that wasn't and they are the same price then obviously you'd probably want the non-rental, however, you have to look at such options the rental might have like rims, shaker, etc. Also the rental might be a bit cheaper then the non-rental -- that was my case.
Now I suspect you can find a non-rental for the same price. There's actually a clean S197 Mustang in my area for around $9K

Also something that really matters is the Warranty. If it has warranty then you shouldn't have much to worry about. My car was a rental for probably five months TOPS from my calculations. It was registered in Sep. 07 and I bought it in June/July 08 -- but I had my eyes on it for a couple months actually.

Of course rental cars will be abused, but I can almost assure you that you will abuse your car too.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:35 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mac8008
I bet a 370z owner would say the say thing about your car. Damn, that's gotta hurt!

Not quite, tool.

Quick Reply: Would you buy a ex rental stang?