Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

CAI tune that will pass emissions w/o making changes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 09:27 AM
lundefinedl
1st Gear Member

Default CAI tune that will pass emissions w/o making changes?

I know this has been posted before, but I was wondering if anybody has a combo that will pass emissions in Mass.

I just got this 4.0L mustang a few months ago and am thinking about CAI/tune, 4.10 gearing, Tlock, and short shift kit, but I don't feel like reflashing or removing anything just for inspection.

I was thinking about the BBK because it is able to run with factory settings; therefore one may just reflash to stock without removing the CAI for an emissions test.

What is the purpose for disabling the emissions sensors on the tunes anyways?
Old 03-29-2009, 12:48 PM
wolfpup
bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay

honestly i dont think any tune will have a negative effect to the point where u wont pass smog. But if u want a CAI without a Tune then the bbk one is good... thats wat i have... and i'm pretty sure if i can pass emissions in CA then u should be able to in MA
Old 03-29-2009, 01:01 PM
lundefinedl
1st Gear Member

I don't know the specifics of the tunes, but I have read many times that some sensors are disabled and that's it won't pass.

I guess I am wondering several things,

Can you safely run BBK CAI on higher octane without a tune without any adverse effects? I know that BBK says you can but I have read otherwise. Anybody experts know?

And

Is there a tune for this car with a CAI that is customized to the CAI and will pass when they hook up to your computer?
Old 03-29-2009, 02:14 PM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

You cant just return it to stock tune? Or some economy tune? Wouldn't an economy tune be better for the environment and stuff since it gets you better MPG?
(Sorry I'm unfamiliar with these tests -- MN doesn't require any testing at all.)
Old 03-29-2009, 03:31 PM
lundefinedl
1st Gear Member

I think that is what I'm trying to figure out maxshuty. I don't really want to have to remove the CAI once I put it on. I guess its not that bad to have to put the stock stuff back on but it would be easier if I could do nothing. The next best thing would be if I could flash it to stock without removing the CAI.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:56 PM
wolfpup
bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay

Originally Posted by lundefinedl
I don't know the specifics of the tunes, but I have read many times that some sensors are disabled and that's it won't pass.

I guess I am wondering several things,

Can you safely run BBK CAI on higher octane without a tune without any adverse effects? I know that BBK says you can but I have read otherwise. Anybody experts know?

And

Is there a tune for this car with a CAI that is customized to the CAI and will pass when they hook up to your computer?
dude a tune is not that drastic or detrimental to the point where u wont pass emissions i would like to know of the cases in which this occured ...and running a higher octane is never really a bad thing... its only bad to run a lower octane when ur car is specifically tuned for a higher octane. All tunes that are given are somewhat specific for the CAI if emissions are that big of an issue then keep the stock parts and when it comes time to pass smog then put the stock airbox back on and reflash to the stock tune and then do the switcharoo when u get back home. Also i run higher octanes on my car with the BBK all the time... and it has yet to blow up...
Old 03-29-2009, 05:25 PM
lundefinedl
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info wolfpup. I understand that I can just do the switcharoo, but I'm trying to plan so I won't have to do the switcharoo if I don't have to.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:24 PM
Ato
4th Gear Member

Turning off the rear 02 like most tuners do will have nothing to do with passing emissions in most states which are measuring the actual exhaust emitted not what a sensor says is going on with emissions. If your cats are still there I can't see why there would be an issue. If that were the case where inspections stations hooked up a line to your ecu to read the car's interpretation of the emissions every tuner would just write a tune that made a Mustang look like a Prius.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:25 PM
ABQstang89
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ato
Turning off the rear 02 like most tuners do will have nothing to do with passing emissions in most states which are measuring the actual exhaust emitted not what a sensor says is going on with emissions. If your cats are still there I can't see why there would be an issue. If that were the case where inspections stations hooked up a line to your ecu to read the car's interpretation of the emissions every tuner would just write a tune that made a Mustang look like a Prius.
+1
You will be fine as long as your cats are there. If you get a tune flash it back to stock to take it to an emissions place. Its really not that much of a hassle.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:13 PM
oldschoolv6

Most tunes turn off the rear O2 sensors so with the new emissions test in MA the computer will read the PCM in the car as not ready with the sensors turned off. You can swap back to stock and run for about 50 miles and then test or ask your tuner to write the tune so it does not turn off the rear sensors. Either way and you should pass.

Quick Reply: CAI tune that will pass emissions w/o making changes?