Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Thoughts On New Stripes

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 12:14 AM
bmr251
1st Gear Member

Question Thoughts On New Stripes

I have Silver vinyl racing stripes and despite my best efforts to keep my car clean the stripes have gotten these awkward fading/stained/dirting looking marks on them (especially on the roof). I've heard some people attribute it to the sun beating up the silver and others say its because of the vinyl (i'm thinking its a mix of both). but in either case im getting my stripes painted on next month.

Heres where i need your opinions.... My original idea was to do silver stripes with a blue pinstripe (an actual pinstripe, not the "pinstripe stripe" thats an inch or 2 away from the thick one) but when my dad spoke to his buddy who's a painter he suggested doing the stripes so they would look silver from one angle, and blue from another (everyones seen the crazy chameleon paint jobs at the car shows with 8 different colors) now think that, but with less metal flake and only silver and blue.

At first i thought, there is a really fine line between being completely original/ really cool OR tacky, and i dont wanna cross that line. but after thinking about it (my car is white so it wouldnt really clash with anything else, and i dont have a crazy spoiler, body kit, or ridiculous rims so i dont have to worry too much about being ricer) its growing on me... What Do You Guys Think?!?
Old 04-01-2009, 12:32 AM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

Do it, it sounds cool!
Old 04-01-2009, 01:35 AM
staggolee
4th Gear Member

At first i was going to say go for it because i love seeing silver or blue on a white mustang. But now that i think about it, for that same reason i would say to just get the silver stripes with blue pinstriping so you always have that great color combo. I don't think the "chameleon" striping would be tacky, i just think i like the other one better.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:36 AM
wolfpup
bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay

as far as ur current stripes go my stripes are vinyl and i live in CA, i can guarantee ur stripes dont see as much sun as mine and i'm not having that as an issue. but for the new stripes i like ur idea a lot and i say go for it.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:47 AM
epictwist
2nd Gear Member

The way you describe it I don't think he was talking about a chameleon type stripe. I had a similar stripe on my 98 that was more like a ghost stripe, just a gold pearl. It was silver from one angle but when the sun hit it, it was a bright gold color. You would get the same effect with a blue pearl stripe. No flip-flopping colors.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:21 AM
VictoriaRR
4th Gear Member

Interesting... I don't know if I'd do that personally, but I must admit it'd be interesting to see. I've seen some white Stangs with pearl gold stripes and it looks beautiful.

That being said, I had some black stripes on my car and they too got a bit blotchy in some areas and a bit scratchy in others. I think the sun does have something to do with it to a certain extent, but at the same time I have heard that silver vinyl has a tendency to deteriorate faster than other colors for some odd reason.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:20 PM
bmr251
1st Gear Member

twist: im not exactly positive what the difference is between the two; im guessing the ghost would be more of a fade while the chameleon would actually be changing from one color to another?..

either way, i think im gonna do it, if nothing else itll be original... i'll keep you guys updated with some pictures once the car is done