Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Duals Install today!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 08:51 PM
Jasoon
2nd Gear Member

Do you have to "tune" our V6's if you put dual exhaust AND headers on?

Nice sound on the GT Takeoffs, by the way.

How about an in-cab video of them?
Old 04-06-2009, 11:29 AM
svastano
4th Gear Member

I don't have a "Tune" yet but it runs a bit better than before. As for the in-cab I really don't hear much more sound in the drivers seat than from before.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:24 PM
o7 tungsten
3rd Gear Member

do you have any fly by vids?
Old 04-06-2009, 06:48 PM
svastano
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by o7 tungsten
do you have any fly by vids?
No and it is snowing around here again! So no Mustang driving until the weather gets nice again!
Old 04-08-2009, 01:12 AM
o7 tungsten
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by svastano
No and it is snowing around here again! So no Mustang driving until the weather gets nice again!
damn that sucks, did you get that kit from v6mustang stuff? i have been going back and forth deciding if i should go with the frpp or this kit.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:01 AM
red07Pony
3rd Gear Member

Damn what a difference in sound! That sounds great! Good job on the install.

So how hard is it to install the headers? Give us your feedback on the installation...tips or gotchas. I found a set on craigslist real cheap and passed them up because I didn't know how difficult it would be or if I could even do it myself and in my driveway.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:10 PM
UltraKla$$ic
3rd Gear Member

What tips are those on the GT takeoff mufflers? They almost look like GT/CS takeoff mufflers.

Link to the headers?
Old 04-08-2009, 12:18 PM
svastano
4th Gear Member

To answer a few questions. Yes got the kit from v6mustangstuff. See:http://www.v6mustangstuff.com/05V6Exhaust.htm

Originally Posted by red07Pony
Damn what a difference in sound! That sounds great! Good job on the install.

So how hard is it to install the headers? Give us your feedback on the installation...tips or gotchas. I found a set on craigslist real cheap and passed them up because I didn't know how difficult it would be or if I could even do it myself and in my driveway.
The headers are not extremely hard to put on but take quite a while to do. I had a helper ( My wife) so it helped some.

Steps:

1. Take off CAI. tube.
2. I first started loosining the manifold nuts. 13mm Deepwell Socket Broke each one of them loose and then I started breaking the studs loose from the block. Most of them broke loose right off but I had a few stickers! ( more on that later)
3. While the wife was taking the studs out I was underneath getting the nuts loose from the manifold to the "Y" pipe. 15mm Deep well Socket!
4. After all of them were loose or off I got the manifold out of the way to extract the studs that stuck. I use the method of heating the head around the stud and then quickly put an old candle next to it so the wax goes around the threads of the stud. After that the stud comes right out!
5. On either side there are brackets that are bolted to the head that interfere with putting the headers on. Have to take both of the brackets loose and then you can start the header install. Also the dip stick needs to be removed.
6. I first tested all the bolts into the holes in the head. This helps starting the bolts after you get the header in place. I bought Stainless bolts at Fastenal so I had a nice clean job.
7. Next put the headers in place and start the bolts. do not tighten until they are all started and not cross threaded! ( Don't forget the gasket!)
8. When they are all started then I had the wife start tightening them while I worked on the opposite side.
9. I bolted the headers back to the "Y" pipe
10. Then re-install dip stick and brackets & CAI tube.
Lastly ran it before I started the duals install. I wanted to make sure there was no leaks before I started to hack the "Y' pipe!
Old 04-08-2009, 12:25 PM
svastano
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by UltraKla$$ic
What tips are those on the GT takeoff mufflers? They almost look like GT/CS takeoff mufflers.

Link to the headers?
Mufflers: I think they are for a CS..

Headers:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Exhau...Q5fAccessories
Old 04-08-2009, 01:31 PM
UltraKla$$ic
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the link and the info

Quick Reply: Duals Install today!