Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Why? Ford could have put the 3.5L EcoBoost in the Stang!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 04:00 PM
teksp0rt
3rd Gear Member

Default Why? Ford could have put the 3.5L EcoBoost in the Stang!

*RANT ON*

Why oh why? I was just looking at specs for the 2010 Taurus SHO and saw that Ford is putting the 3.5L V6 Direct Injection Ecoboost Engine into this car. 365 HP & 350 LBS of torque is not too shabby eh? I know this has been beat to death but they really should have put this engine option in the Mustang! AND if they can get these numbers out of a production V6, what should we expect out of a production V8?

http://www.fordvehicles.com/2010taurus/

The Mustang is an icon and I believe that the Mustang's brand is stronger than the Ford Motor Company itself. Thus, Ford should put all of their technology into making this the BEST muscle / sports car in all aspects. Yes, I know it would jack up the price considerably; however, this is exactly why it should be an option ...and I understand that you will always need the more affordable car, which was the premise of building the Mustang back in 1964 (so offer a option less & basic V6 as well). It is just that those numbers produced by the SHO Taurus are SICK and I am jealous.

..oh, and Ford, bring that Focus RS to the states. I would buy this car in a heartbeat. You have already sold over 1,000 of them in Europe without even delivering a car yet. What makes you think the demand in the US would be any different?

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/09/11/n...rders-for-foc/

Well, at least you are not GM in the sense that you seem to "get it." You are making products that people want to buy. From Hybrids to the Fusion, Mustang, Trucks, etc. the new product line is strong and I will be returning to make another purchase in 2010 when the new GT hits your dealer lots. That 2010 car is a sexy piece of *** …

..and GM, that Camero is as ugly as sin. Further, I imaging that like every other GM I have owned in my lifetime in two years I will start having problems with it…but then again it could always be worse. You could be making bland, lifeless, and uninspiring cars like Toyota.

*RANT OFF*
Old 04-06-2009, 06:05 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

I have heard, read that is is coming along with a 5.0L
Old 04-06-2009, 07:59 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

There's no confirmation that Ford will or won't be bringing the ecoboost to the Mustang in the next few years. Their official position is that there never was any plan to do so, but that sounds like back-peddling to me. I'd say that if the ecoboost does make a Mustang appearance, it will happen about the same time as the new 5.0's debut. If the new 5.0 comes and there's still no TT 3.5......don't expect there to be one for a while.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:00 PM
99RedStang
2nd Gear Member

I don't think Ford would put that much power into their base model Mustang. It would be too close to the 5.0's power level. If they were to use the Ecoboost for the V6 Mustang, I believe they would detune it to around 310hp.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:06 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99RedStang
I don't think Ford would put that much power into their base model Mustang. It would be too close to the 5.0's power level. If they were to use the Ecoboost for the V6 Mustang, I believe they would detune it to around 310hp.
I don't think Ford would use a TT 3.5 model as the entry level car. The cost would be close to what the current GT prices out at. I think part of the dilemma for Ford to bring an ecoboost model to market is that it would fall in between the base V6 and the GT...both in terms of costs and performance. I don't think they have the infrastructure right now to produce 3 standard models along with the GT500. So that makes bringing a turbo model a difficult venture to plan out. I'm hoping, if nothing else, we at least get to see a SE model with the ecoboost drivetrain........I would just love to see how those cars would move out with minimum amounts of tinkering.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:54 AM
99RedStang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ThisBlood147
I don't think Ford would use a TT 3.5 model as the entry level car. The cost would be close to what the current GT prices out at. I think part of the dilemma for Ford to bring an ecoboost model to market is that it would fall in between the base V6 and the GT...both in terms of costs and performance. I don't think they have the infrastructure right now to produce 3 standard models along with the GT500. So that makes bringing a turbo model a difficult venture to plan out. I'm hoping, if nothing else, we at least get to see a SE model with the ecoboost drivetrain........I would just love to see how those cars would move out with minimum amounts of tinkering.
You pose good points. I think when the time comes for Ford to switch out the 4.6 in favor of the 5.0 for the GT, they should also switch out the 4.0 in favor of the 3.7 that's in the Lincoln MKS. It produces 275 hp and 276 lb-ft. Or at least the non-turbo'ed 3.5 from the Flex and upcoming Fusion Sport. It produces 265 hp and 250 lb-ft. This would keep the V6 competitive with the Camaro, given the Mustang's weight advantage.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:03 AM
BCisme
5th Gear Member

if anything it'll be called the SVO again.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:33 PM
99RedStang
2nd Gear Member

SVO became SVT.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:16 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

I also read the 5.0 will put out 400hp in stock form
Old 04-07-2009, 05:29 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99RedStang
You pose good points. I think when the time comes for Ford to switch out the 4.6 in favor of the 5.0 for the GT, they should also switch out the 4.0 in favor of the 3.7 that's in the Lincoln MKS. It produces 275 hp and 276 lb-ft. Or at least the non-turbo'ed 3.5 from the Flex and upcoming Fusion Sport. It produces 265 hp and 250 lb-ft. This would keep the V6 competitive with the Camaro, given the Mustang's weight advantage.
I'm hoping that's the case too. They have two very capable powerplants that they can replace the 4.0 with....I'm hoping they're smart enough to use them.

Quick Reply: Why? Ford could have put the 3.5L EcoBoost in the Stang!