Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Debating between Flow Master and MRT Muffler

Old 04-19-2009, 02:27 AM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Default Debating between Flow Master and MRT Muffler

I have a 2008 V6 Mustang. Debating between installing a single Flowmaster American Thunder muffler (part number 17421) or the MRT Aero Turbine Axel Back System.

Thoughts and opinions on which would be best? I am looking for a deeper, throatier sound. For those of you who have either of these two, what do you think? I've heard that there is a "break in" period. Is that true? Do they sound like they do on Youtube?

Been watching the youtube vids and it's such a close call to me. A girl on Youtube did a great 4 part series for the MRT where you could actually hear what it sounded like as she was driving and accelerating. I have yet to locate a driver's side video of someone who's installed a single Flow Master AT.

Thanks everyone
Old 04-19-2009, 02:22 PM
Barricade

Def flowmaster!! I myself have 2 super 40's and have no regrets what so ever in buying those! As far as the break in periods I don't think that's actually true because my exhaust has sounded exactly the same from when I put it on about 12,000 miles ago!
Old 04-19-2009, 07:46 PM
legendlime05
4th Gear Member

mrt ftw all the way.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:27 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

I am looking for a deeper, throatier, gurglier, more aggressive tone.

I have one saying MRT, one saying FlowMaster? Both to me sound great. The only advantage MRT has over the Flowmaster is on Youtube. Some girl put together a great 4 part series of what the MRT Aeroturbine sounds like when started up, idling, and driving that baby inside the car. With the flowmaster, all I find are "engine ignition" start up clips. No actual driving inside the car.

Who's gonna break this tie
Old 04-19-2009, 11:49 PM
raubt
4th Gear Member

I can't speak for the MRT (though I've heard they sound awesome), but I had a Flowmaster before I switched to duals and I was completely happy with it. Very aggressive, throaty, nasty sound. People seem to generally look down on V6's, but I got a lot of compliments (and head-turns) with just that single muffler.

I think the MRT is supposed to be a bit louder (and I think it's a bit more expensive), but I thought the Flowmaster was great for a single muffler on the 6-banger.

My single-muffler decision came down to Flowmaster vs. MRT, and I didn't regret going with the Flowmaster for a second.

(And yeah, there is somewhat of a break-in period with all mufflers in my experience. After a while they get a bit deeper, nicer tone, which the Flowmaster did as well.)
Old 04-19-2009, 11:59 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by raubt
I can't speak for the MRT (though I've heard they sound awesome), but I had a Flowmaster before I switched to duals and I was completely happy with it. Very aggressive, throaty, nasty sound. People seem to generally look down on V6's, but I got a lot of compliments (and head-turns) with just that single muffler.

I think the MRT is supposed to be a bit louder (and I think it's a bit more expensive), but I thought the Flowmaster was great for a single muffler on the 6-banger.

My single-muffler decision came down to Flowmaster vs. MRT, and I didn't regret going with the Flowmaster for a second.

(And yeah, there is somewhat of a break-in period with all mufflers in my experience. After a while they get a bit deeper, nicer tone, which the Flowmaster did as well.)
Sweet, thanks for feedback Yeah, I know that people can look down on V6's, but geez, I get so many people turning their heads checking out my 08 candy apple red stang that now has a roush hood scoop on it...I think that only those with V8's looks down on V6's. Everyone else outside this tiny niche community is in awe of any beautiful mustang regardless of engine size.

Yes, the flowmaster is $180'ish depending on where you buy. The MRT is $225-250. So yeah, a bit more expensive for the MRT.

I've heard a greater range of what to expect from the MRT muffler...but just from one person. But I've heard nothing but incredibly positive things about the Flow Master American Thunder single for the V6. And I've heard many videos of the flowmaster startup.

Hmmmm.....I'm starting to lean towards the flowmaster
Old 04-20-2009, 12:54 AM
wolfpup
bow wow wow yippie yo yippie yay

Originally Posted by Biceps
I am looking for a deeper, throatier, gurglier, more aggressive tone. I have one saying MRT, one saying FlowMaster? Both to me sound great. The only advantage MRT has over the Flowmaster is on Youtube. Some girl put together a great 4 part series of what the MRT Aeroturbine sounds like when started up, idling, and driving that baby inside the car. With the flowmaster, all I find are "engine ignition" start up clips. No actual driving inside the car.

Who's gonna break this tie
flowmaster you will be happy...
Old 04-20-2009, 12:54 AM
killdar
2nd Gear Member

I ordered two flowmasters and the ninosport kit for dual conversion($280) can't wait to get it all installed, along w/ my intake and tuner should give her a really nice sound
Old 04-20-2009, 01:27 AM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wolfpup
flowmaster you will be happy...

Yeah? Do you have any links to people driving their V6's with a FlowMaster American Thunder? I've seen a few people do their drive by thing, but I haven't seen any vids of what the flow master AT sounds like on a V6 INSIDE the actual car while accelerating.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:22 AM
legendlime05
4th Gear Member

ive had so many compliments on the sounds of my car, and the quality is second to none. you wont regret mrt.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Debating between Flow Master and MRT Muffler