Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New here, and I have a few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 10:36 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by PonyBoy21
When it comes to exhaust can I use a GT type or do I have to use exhausts made for V6? Im thinking of either to have the other hole for the exhaust cut from my existing fender, or try and find a Gt rear bumper...do they work on V6?
Yes, you can use mufflers off of a GT. I bought Pypes x pipe and a mid pipe with a set of GT mufflers for my dual exhaust. Many V6 owners have made the cut in their bumpers for the second exhaust. The plastic is very pliable and easy to cut. When done correctly, it will look like a factory install job.

Here's a template for the bumper cut out;

http://pysales.com/inst/SFM68-bumper-cutout02.pdf

If you don't mind spending more $, I would recommend getting the FRPP exhaust kit. If it had been available when I was shopping for an exhaust, I would have purchased it.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:46 AM
PonyBoy21
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07 Stang
Yes, you can use mufflers off of a GT. I bought Pypes x pipe and a mid pipe with a set of GT mufflers for my dual exhaust. Many V6 owners have made the cut in their bumpers for the second exhaust. The plastic is very pliable and easy to cut. When done correctly, it will look like a factory install job.

Here's a template for the bumper cut out;

http://pysales.com/inst/SFM68-bumper-cutout02.pdf

If you don't mind spending more $, I would recommend getting the FRPP exhaust kit. If it had been available when I was shopping for an exhaust, I would have purchased it.
Awesome, I just got the phone with my cousin and he said he would help with the exhaust and he's got the proper tools to cut the fender so we'll be doing this in a few weeks. Thanks for the advice and I will look into the FRPP exhaust thanks

Also I was looking at this set http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...lenotsupported any opinions on this exhaust set

Last edited by PonyBoy21; 05-17-2009 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:49 PM
izzyocon
1st Gear Member

thats not a true dual exhaust.
a true dual use an x pipe or h pipe instead of a y pipe.
the magnaflows have a badass setup but i would personally recommend true duals
Old 05-17-2009, 09:37 PM
PonyBoy21
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by izzyocon
thats not a true dual exhaust.
a true dual use an x pipe or h pipe instead of a y pipe.
the magnaflows have a badass setup but i would personally recommend true duals
I noticed on the magnaflow it seems there taking the single and just splitting it into 2, I don't know if i like that. If I went for a true exhaust what would I be looking at, some suggestions. Also this kit was a bolt on so to speak. Would other kits require cutting or welding of sort? Thanks

Could I use this setup? it's for GT though http://www.americanmuscle.com/magnaf...k-2005-gt.html

Last edited by PonyBoy21; 05-17-2009 at 09:41 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:37 PM
kn0x`
2nd Gear Member

Change to true duals first...you will love the sound. Than change the wheels because it will totally set off your car. Once i got my new rims, people thought my car was a V8 and asking if it was a roush or saleen...mustang owners would have known better but people who don't know mustangs ask dumb questions. Than do some engine work. Like a CAI and Tune for Bamachips...prefab ably the C&L with SCT3.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:42 PM
PonyBoy21
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kn0x`
Change to true duals first...you will love the sound. Than change the wheels because it will totally set off your car. Once i got my new rims, people thought my car was a V8 and asking if it was a roush or saleen...mustang owners would have known better but people who don't know mustangs ask dumb questions. Than do some engine work. Like a CAI and Tune for Bamachips...prefab ably the C&L with SCT3.
Would you mind pointing me in the right direction for the exhaust and the CAI, I plan on buying them sometime next week I hope...

I did some searching for a good exhaust, many people on here seem to lean toward Ford racing like this http://northamericantuning.com/catal...roducts_id/471

And for the CAI I was gonna get this http://www.americanmuscle.com/cnl-sct-0509v6-kit.html
Old 05-18-2009, 08:10 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Go to bamachips.com and look up the C&L CAI / X-Cal 3 Tuner combo. It is a great CAI and tuner. Do some research about tuners and cai's first though, as it does increase the performance noticeably, but also requires a little foresight.

I would highly recommend the FRPP dual exhaust kit. There have been manyn threads regarding exhausts (you can search for them) but FRPP is highly recommend by folks here.

The bumper cut out is easy, some people have done it with a utlility knife, I did mine with a dremmel but later replaced my rear bumper with a GT take off.

Congrats and welcome to MF! If you want a great low cost mod, get a 14" shorty antenna from American Muscle $20 bucks!
Old 05-18-2009, 10:02 AM
PonyBoy21
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ODDYSEY
Go to bamachips.com and look up the C&L CAI / X-Cal 3 Tuner combo. It is a great CAI and tuner. Do some research about tuners and cai's first though, as it does increase the performance noticeably, but also requires a little foresight.

I would highly recommend the FRPP dual exhaust kit. There have been manyn threads regarding exhausts (you can search for them) but FRPP is highly recommend by folks here.

The bumper cut out is easy, some people have done it with a utlility knife, I did mine with a dremmel but later replaced my rear bumper with a GT take off.

Congrats and welcome to MF! If you want a great low cost mod, get a 14" shorty antenna from American Muscle $20 bucks!
Thanks for your advice those are my top 3 mods Im doing within the next few weeks...

1) Dual Exhaust

2) CAI w/ Tuner

3) New Headers

I stayed up late last night reading about dual exhausts, like I said Im new to car modding, people were saying they don't like Fords and were talking about GTA, GTB or something I didn't know what they were talking about at all...
Old 05-18-2009, 11:23 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

The original FRPP kit came with mufflers called GTA's. They sound great! That is what I have. Ford changed the mufflers to GTB versions which is quieter, but have mixed reviews... some love them, some say they are too quiet.

Audio/Videio clips are the best source... everyone has their own opinion. There was a thread not too long ago where someone posted blind clips of all different mufflers and everyone voted (not knowing which was which) and the FRPP (GTA's) were top of the list. GT Take offs and corsa/borla's were up there also.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:18 PM
PonyBoy21
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ODDYSEY
The original FRPP kit came with mufflers called GTA's. They sound great! That is what I have. Ford changed the mufflers to GTB versions which is quieter, but have mixed reviews... some love them, some say they are too quiet.

Audio/Videio clips are the best source... everyone has their own opinion. There was a thread not too long ago where someone posted blind clips of all different mufflers and everyone voted (not knowing which was which) and the FRPP (GTA's) were top of the list. GT Take offs and corsa/borla's were up there also.
So is it possible to get Ford kits with the GTA's anymore or they're gone pretty much...

Quick Reply: New here, and I have a few questions...