Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New here, and I have a few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 01:25 PM
PonyBoy21
1st Gear Member

Default New here, and I have a few questions...

Hi, Im new here names Ryan. I've decided to join up because I got a few questions about my car. I own a 2006 v6 Mustang original owner. I just finished leasing the car and now Im buying it so Im very happy. So I wanna get under the hood and do some mods to gain more HP on my car. Can someone recommend me some things that would benefit me such as CAI, what brands? I also wanna run dual exhaust, things like that

Thanks
Old 05-16-2009, 01:52 PM
05transporter

If you're looking for simple mods that will get you a fair boost in HP, a cold air intake and exhaust are a good start. K&N makes a good CAI, and the process is something you can easily do yourself. I've also heard people recommend C&L, though it's my understanding that they're a bit more pricey.

Exhaust is a bit more technical, so taking it to a shop isn't a bad idea. I've got a dual Magnaflow exhaust on my car, and it sounds great. Flowmaster is another option I've heard others recommend, or you can also get a take-off GT dual exhaust and install that.

But if you really want to make those upgrades count, make sure you get a tune after installing them. That will allow your car to get the most out of your upgrades.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:01 PM
PonyBoy21
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05transporter
If you're looking for simple mods that will get you a fair boost in HP, a cold air intake and exhaust are a good start. K&N makes a good CAI, and the process is something you can easily do yourself. I've also heard people recommend C&L, though it's my understanding that they're a bit more pricey.

Exhaust is a bit more technical, so taking it to a shop isn't a bad idea. I've got a dual Magnaflow exhaust on my car, and it sounds great. Flowmaster is another option I've heard others recommend, or you can also get a take-off GT dual exhaust and install that.

But if you really want to make those upgrades count, make sure you get a tune after installing them. That will allow your car to get the most out of your upgrades.
From my understanding it seems your running a V6 as well, do you personally notice a difference in those upgrades to your car?
Old 05-16-2009, 02:23 PM
05transporter

Yes, I did. Stock, it felt... okay. A little sluggish, but it performed well. Afterward, I could tell that I was definitely running with some extra hp. -Plus the Magnaflows gave it a nice throaty growl. Getting a tune really makes a difference as well, and will get the most performance out of your mods.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:42 PM
PonyBoy21
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05transporter
Yes, I did. Stock, it felt... okay. A little sluggish, but it performed well. Afterward, I could tell that I was definitely running with some extra hp. -Plus the Magnaflows gave it a nice throaty growl. Getting a tune really makes a difference as well, and will get the most performance out of your mods.
When it comes to exhaust can I use a GT type or do I have to use exhausts made for V6? Im thinking of either to have the other hole for the exhaust cut from my existing fender, or try and find a Gt rear bumper...do they work on V6?
Old 05-16-2009, 02:56 PM
05transporter

You can put pretty much any GT body part onto a V6, so swapping for a GT rear bumper is a simple process. By 'GT style' I'm assuming you mean dual exhaust? Dual exhaust is more of an aesthetic modification, in that it's more for looks than any major advantage over single exhaust. Getting a good cat-back exhaust is a good idea, as you'll get a less restricted flow, but dual or single will net you about the same change in hp. (I've heard dual makes a very slight improvement, but not enough to make any real difference)
Old 05-16-2009, 04:08 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-0l...tallation.html
The OEM V6 exhaust flows so well that the mod is purely a sound and asthetics type of mod,
not a HP increase type of mod.
Newbies need to be introduced to the Search Function...

Welcome and come on in....

Last edited by 157dB; 05-16-2009 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:47 PM
05transporter

Originally Posted by 157db
https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-0l...tallation.html
The OEM V6 exhaust flows so well that the mod is purely a sound and asthetics type of mod,
not a HP increase type of mod.
I guess I just have a natural distrust of manufacturers to choke the flow of the exhaust (I did drive a few imports) and since I had both done at the same time, had no way to really compare which one gave me more power. -But the end result was sure enjoyable!
Old 05-16-2009, 10:01 PM
JRamsey9903

I have read that intalling a cool air intake without a tune can hurt your cars performance. Too much air from the intake will mess up the air/gas mixture. You should look at the tuner/CAI combos at bama or brenspeed. I looked into this quite a bit and just recently made the purchase. I can't wait to get it and install.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:06 PM
izzyocon
1st Gear Member

^
this guy has a valid point.
you dont wanna run too rich (too much fuel)
or too lean (too much air)
thats not very engine healthy.
so yeah dude....get a tuner
they have cai/tuner combos.
i think steeda has a pretty cool setup with their cai and an sct tune

Quick Reply: New here, and I have a few questions...