Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Ok just one other question...

Old 05-18-2009, 11:23 AM
PonyBoy21
1st Gear Member

Default Ok just one other question...

I've been asking about different mods and trying to learn and understand all these things. After talking on here and around let's say for argument sake I go with the Ford V6 duel exhaust kit like this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...lenotsupported

Ok my next question is related to headers, I was planning on maybe changing out my headers to go with the new exhaust. Which kind work? Shorties? Long tube? which would fit

thanks
Old 05-18-2009, 12:30 PM
So_Cali
5th Gear Member

What did you wanna know about the kit?

As for headers you can check out Stainless Steel Works for some longtubes, not sure if they'll fit that particular exhaust. JBA and I believe Pypes make shorties for our 6ers
Old 05-18-2009, 02:00 PM
PonyBoy21
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by So_Cali
What did you wanna know about the kit?

As for headers you can check out Stainless Steel Works for some longtubes, not sure if they'll fit that particular exhaust. JBA and I believe Pypes make shorties for our 6ers
Well Im pretty much settled on the exhaust kit, but I wanted to know what type of headers would work with it. And I was wondering what are "shorty" and "Longtube" headers. Im sure it's more then short or long or is that the only difference?

Thanks
Old 05-18-2009, 05:24 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

LOong tube high rpm power band.
Shorties, low rpm power band.
What ya shooting for?
Low RPM Torque pull a boat power or
screamin 4000RPM and over power?
Old 05-18-2009, 05:40 PM
PonyBoy21
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157db
LOong tube high rpm power band.
Shorties, low rpm power band.
What ya shooting for?
Low RPM Torque pull a boat power or
screamin 4000RPM and over power?
So I guess Im going with the long, I want more power and better performance and a good sounding exhaust
Old 05-19-2009, 08:16 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Headers aren't really worth it in my opinion unless you go F/I (Forced Induction, ie supercharger). They cost a good chunk of change for small gains.

I think since you are new to modding, you will be MUCH better off getting gears/t-lok than headers. You will definitely notice a different there.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:23 PM
PonyBoy21
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ODDYSEY
Headers aren't really worth it in my opinion unless you go F/I (Forced Induction, ie supercharger). They cost a good chunk of change for small gains.

I think since you are new to modding, you will be MUCH better off getting gears/t-lok than headers. You will definitely notice a different there.
If I may ask what's good gears? and what is t-lok?
Old 05-19-2009, 02:39 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

You currently have a 3.31:1 gear ratio. Which means your driveshaft will turn 3.31 times everytime your tire makes 1 full rotation. Going to a lower gear ratio (which means a higher number such as 3.73 or 4.10's) will give you more off the line performance.

I have 3.73 gears so I have alot of punch off the line. The reccomended gears for our cars are 3.73 or 4.10. If you plan to go with a supercharger or turbo.. 3.73 will work great.

A T-Lok or LSD (Limited Slip Differential) will change the traction of your rear end. Our V6 Mustangs come with an open differential, which means only 1 tires spins. The power is usually thrown to 1 tires, where as a T-Lok makes both tires spin, so giving you traction to both tires at the same time.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:50 PM
PonyBoy21
1st Gear Member

You currently have a 3.31:1 gear ratio. Which means your driveshaft will turn 3.31 times everytime your tire makes 1 full rotation. Going to a lower gear ratio (which means a higher number such as 3.73 or 4.10's) will give you more off the line performance.

I have 3.73 gears so I have alot of punch off the line. The reccomended gears for our cars are 3.73 or 4.10. If you plan to go with a supercharger or turbo.. 3.73 will work great.

A T-Lok or LSD (Limited Slip Differential) will change the traction of your rear end. Our V6 Mustangs come with an open differential, which means only 1 tires spins. The power is usually thrown to 1 tires, where as a T-Lok makes both tires spin, so giving you traction to both tires at the same time.

Hope that helps.
So I was just online looking at Gears and things like these http://www.americanmuscle.com/fopege3ra1.html- but they say These 3.73 mustang gears will fit all Mustangs with the exception of V6 models which have the 7.5 inch rear end. So what else do I need then.

Also I was looking at this http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-28spline-75-lsd.html
Old 05-19-2009, 03:08 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

i like the little extra torq kick from my shorties. it aint anything big but it is felt and appreciated. low end is your primary power for DD unless u got a track car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ok just one other question...