Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.
Old 10-23-2015, 03:30 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

GT H pipe on V6?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 11:39 PM
cmschlatt
2nd Gear Member

Default GT H pipe on V6?

Hey all, I know this question has been asked, but I couldn't find the answer through search. Will a GT H pipe bolt right up to the V6 headers?
Old 05-22-2009, 08:16 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

... a GT H-pipe will work on a v6...
Old 05-22-2009, 09:14 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-0l...tallation.html

The Search Function works well nowdays...
Old 05-22-2009, 12:42 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

yes, it should fit after cutting off the y-pipe.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:35 PM
cmschlatt
2nd Gear Member

That thread talks about having the cats removed from the H pipe and clamping them on. Here is a picture of the one I'm looking at. Will I be able to bolt it right up to the headers?
Attached Thumbnails GT H pipe on V6?-h-pipe.jpg  
Old 05-22-2009, 07:57 PM
48prerunner
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cmschlatt
That thread talks about having the cats removed from the H pipe and clamping them on. Here is a picture of the one I'm looking at. Will I be able to bolt it right up to the headers?
NOPE its no big deal to cut it and weld it. when i did mine i bought an h pipe for a gt with long tube headers ( great buy on ebay $2.32) but pretty much sthe same deal I just unbolted mine from the exhaust manifolds laid the other one on top matched up the end where the mid pipes clamp on. cut both pipes slipped the gt over . bolted back up checked every thing tack welded it. took it all off and up to the gargage with the 220 mig was doing it in dec. and working in the heated garage and welding in the shop. Then boted up a stock gt driverside exhaust.

that being said if you just buy and x pipe from pypes its just a cut and bolt on deal.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:29 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Uh no, not directly to the 4.0L stock 'headers'.
Aftermarket headers maybe, but not stock ones.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:52 PM
cmschlatt
2nd Gear Member

Ok that is exactly the answer I was looking for. Also, here is a link to NAPA that sells over axle pipes. I don't know if the one here is for the driver's side or if it doesn't matter, but I thought I'd throw it out there for anyone interested and maybe someone can clarify.

http://www.napaonline.com/masterpage...e+Exhaust+Pipe
Old 05-24-2009, 06:41 AM
48prerunner
2nd Gear Member

Ok that is exactly the answer I was looking for. Also, here is a link to NAPA that sells over axle pipes. I don't know if the one here is for the driver's side or if it doesn't matter, but I thought I'd throw it out there for anyone interested and maybe someone can clarify.

http://www.napaonline.com/masterpage...e+Exhaust+Pipe

yeah thats the answer you wanted but its not right. think about it the v-6 and the v8 are totally different physical sizes nothing is going to line up without cutting. I know I've done this. The pipe from napa is the passenger side which is the same for the v6 or the v8 I tried to go that route also. I just picked up a used drivers side from a gt at enghlishtown swap meet. All in all you would be money ahead and much easier just unbolt your v-6 muffler bolt on a single gt take off and call it a day. sounds just as good as duals and only take about 30 min tops to put on. then later on if you must have duals for looks get a kit cause if yo paying somebody to do all this its not worth it.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:01 PM
cmschlatt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 48prerunner
yeah thats the answer you wanted but its not right. think about it the v-6 and the v8 are totally different physical sizes nothing is going to line up without cutting. I know I've done this. The pipe from napa is the passenger side which is the same for the v6 or the v8 I tried to go that route also. I just picked up a used drivers side from a gt at enghlishtown swap meet. All in all you would be money ahead and much easier just unbolt your v-6 muffler bolt on a single gt take off and call it a day. sounds just as good as duals and only take about 30 min tops to put on. then later on if you must have duals for looks get a kit cause if yo paying somebody to do all this its not worth it.
When I said that's exactly the answer I was looking for, I meant that now I know that I will have to cut for sure. Also I already have a take off and have been wanting duals for a while.

Quick Reply: GT H pipe on V6?