Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

just ordered gt mufflers ...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 06:21 PM
geckoman1220
2nd Gear Member

Default just ordered gt mufflers ...

today, i just ordered a pair of gt take off mufflers from new take off.

I was wondering the way to install these. Do you have to lift the car or can you do it with the car sitting on all 4 wheels. I was looking under my car and it seems that you have to unbolt the hangers to get the muffler out of the rubber grommets, right?
Old 05-26-2009, 06:59 PM
BigGameHunter589
2nd Gear Member

i lifted the car to install the single. it makes it easier to see what your doing. First loosen the clamp that connects the muffler to the mid pipes and shake it a bit. Than undo all 4 or 6 bolts that connect the muffler hangers to the body ( I forget how many but I think theyre 14mm sockets) . once you have all of them off you should be able to jiggle it off! One tricky bolt is directly above the muffler itself, not fun to do. Once you have the stock muffler off, slide off the black hangers from the stock muffler and replace them onto the new gt take off. Reverse the process by putting the clamp over the mid pipe than put all the bolts back in and tighten everything. Mission Complete!
Old 05-26-2009, 07:32 PM
geckoman1220
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigGameHunter589
i lifted the car to install the single. it makes it easier to see what your doing. First loosen the clamp that connects the muffler to the mid pipes and shake it a bit. Than undo all 4 or 6 bolts that connect the muffler hangers to the body ( I forget how many but I think theyre 14mm sockets) . once you have all of them off you should be able to jiggle it off! One tricky bolt is directly above the muffler itself, not fun to do. Once you have the stock muffler off, slide off the black hangers from the stock muffler and replace them onto the new gt take off. Reverse the process by putting the clamp over the mid pipe than put all the bolts back in and tighten everything. Mission Complete!
cool thanks, and while i have the muffler off i might as well start it up, haha

i want to here the so called blowing up sound
Old 05-26-2009, 08:35 PM
cadillacflow
1st Gear Member

Please keep us updated on how you like the sound. I was looking into getting a set of these also. Are you going to install them both (duels) or just one of them?
Old 05-26-2009, 08:56 PM
geckoman1220
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cadillacflow
Please keep us updated on how you like the sound. I was looking into getting a set of these also. Are you going to install them both (duels) or just one of them?
I will post a video and thread on how they are. For now just one muffler, but once i save up more $$ then duals.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:29 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

To install a single GT tak-off muffler on our vert, I swung the rear over a street curb along our driveway and worked in the gutter without lifting the car. It's an easy swap. I think you'll like the results.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:21 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Some people take off the hangers to install the mufflers, I never do. But instead I disconect the mid pipe band clamp (loosen the 2 15mm nuts and slide the clamp out of the way), and loosen the single muffler clamp bolt, 15 mm also, then wiggle the muffler off the pipe while still hanging, then slide it out of the hangers.

The GT take-offs are pretty quiet but have more sound than the stock muff, even if doing duals.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:40 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Hope you got the M/T take-offs and not the AUTO take-offs.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:50 PM
geckoman1220
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157db
Hope you got the M/T take-offs and not the AUTO take-offs.
yeah, i got the manual ones
Old 05-27-2009, 08:10 PM
staggolee
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx_zstang
The GT take-offs are pretty quiet but have more sound than the stock muff, even if doing duals.
Are you saying duals are quieter with the gt's than a single? I've been really looking forward to installing duals next week but i seem to keep hearing things against going dual...

Quick Reply: just ordered gt mufflers ...