Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Gear install SNAG

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 09:34 PM
lundefinedl
1st Gear Member

Default Gear install SNAG

Went for 3.73 motive gears and tlok. I am getting the install done by a good tranny shop that specializes in muscle cars.

The snag is that it is friday at 4:30 and they are about to finish the install, but the stock 7.5" diff center pin cannot come out because the motive gears are too wide.

They say I need to get a notched center pin for it and if I can find one on saturday they will finish it on sunday (even though they are closed). The shop said that I could probably find one at any ford dealer saturday morning. Do any of you know if ford would carry a 7.5" differential notched center pin??

If not, is there some secret on how to do the installation without the notched pin? If I need the part, will I have to order it... that would suck.

Thanks
Old 05-30-2009, 01:13 AM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Wonder if they tried rotating the carrier 180*. The pin will only come out one way; the other way the ring gear will be in the way!
And I suppose they are trying to put the pin back in, and the teeth of the ring gear might be in the way.
(I'm assuming you mean the pin that goes all the way through the carrier and holds the axle ends in place.)

Never heard of a special notched pin though. Isn't the stock pin notched a little?
Old 05-30-2009, 05:36 AM
lundefinedl
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx_zstang
Wonder if they tried rotating the carrier 180*. The pin will only come out one way; the other way the ring gear will be in the way!
And I suppose they are trying to put the pin back in, and the teeth of the ring gear might be in the way.
(I'm assuming you mean the pin that goes all the way through the carrier and holds the axle ends in place.)

Never heard of a special notched pin though. Isn't the stock pin notched a little?
The pin they showed me is going through the middle of the Tlok sort of. I didn't see enough to know if it has any notching in it. They said they couldn't get the axles back in because they are unable to get the pin out because the 3.73 motive gears are too wide.

If there is some kind of trick to do this, maybe I can get them to try it. As far as notched center pin, I have seen them online but I don't know if I'll be able to find one this morning at a parts store or dealership.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:06 AM
lundefinedl
1st Gear Member

If I have to get a notched cross pin, does anybody know where I can get one shipped FAST?

#rg-800271 is probably the correct part number
Old 05-30-2009, 10:53 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

All this trouble for a set of gears that will prolly whine on you.

T-lock is a nice improvment though...
Good luck.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:19 AM
lundefinedl
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
All this trouble for a set of gears that will prolly whine on you.

T-lock is a nice improvment though...
Good luck.
Yes this is precisely what I was thinking. I went with the motives because they are so cheap. I realize the risks. My car is already insanely loud so a little whining might give it character as long as it runs fine. I am just going to ask the guy to grind down a small piece of the gear to get the pin out. If the gear just totally sucks i'll put the stock gear in with the Tlock.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:08 PM
4.0 $tang
2nd Gear Member

i have motives and a t-lok...they dont whine...the only other thing i had to buy was a bearing kit...my mechanic said nothing about needing to notch a pin or any trouble at all with the install...does this shop work on trans and rears regularly or are they mostly motor work....
Old 05-30-2009, 12:42 PM
lundefinedl
1st Gear Member

The shop is a transmission shop and I am sure they do this frequently, but they typically are working on v8 mustangs and classic hotrod type vehicles.

I provided the 3.73 gear and the full install and bearing kit while they provided the T-lok. I saw the Tlok up close and it was rebuilt. Also, it looked identical to the Tlok for the 7.5" that I see for sale for our car. The teeth looked fine and the clutches looked the same as new Tloks. The mechanic was out to the track today, but is willing to work on it tommarow (even though they are normally closed) if there is a way to resolve it.

Last edited by lundefinedl; 05-30-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Old 05-30-2009, 07:31 PM
MEK
1st Gear Member

I did a quick search, v6mustangstuff has them:

http://www.v6mustangstuff.com/05Drivetrain.htm
Old 05-30-2009, 07:42 PM
lundefinedl
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MEK
I did a quick search, v6mustangstuff has them:

http://www.v6mustangstuff.com/05Drivetrain.htm
Thanks for the response MEK. I already know places to order them, but I am wondering where I can get one with fast shipping.

Also, if anybody has experience installing, I'd like to know how you did it without the pin. I have heard of grinding the pin or part of a tooth.

Quick Reply: Gear install SNAG