Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Super charger on a stock v6

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 05:38 PM
darrensilt

Default Super charger on a stock v6

I have been wondering for some time about putting a super charger on my car. I looked into some of the discussions on this site and the one that I really like was the x charger. To me it seems like this kits comes with everything you need to bolt it up to a stock engine. Anyways I was wondering if I did this would it affect things like my gas mileage and the longevity of my engine. Also how hard is it to bolt that x charger up to my car Im a tech so I have all the tools.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:33 PM
ABQstang89
3rd Gear Member

you will need a new rearend at the least. build up a 7.5 or go with an 8.8. While your at it should get a t lok and some gears.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:35 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

gas mileage will go down because you'll have a hard time keeping your foot from nailing the go pedal. The X is a great kit IMO, and it is one of the easiest FI systems to install.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:41 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

the gas mileage will not go down because it has a bypass. The v6 engine had several reliability issues in the 90s so Ford put forged parts in it stock and generally overbuilt it compared to the v8 engine which is already overbuilt compared to the average production engine.

Buy the x-charger it's the best selling kit for a reason.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:54 PM
zanypunk
2nd Gear Member

Unless you're planning on fooling around with the engine. It shouldn't give you any issues. I always maintenance mine every 6 months. As long as you feel comfortable, this should be an easy bolt on kit. Gas mileage and speeding tickets all depend on you. lol
Old 06-19-2009, 06:05 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Legion5
the gas mileage will not go down because it has a bypass. The v6 engine had several reliability issues in the 90s so Ford put forged parts in it stock and generally overbuilt it compared to the v8 engine which is already overbuilt compared to the average production engine.

Buy the x-charger it's the best selling kit for a reason.
Gas mileage WILL go down for exactly the reason 28HopUp noted. It's not that the "X" does anything that lowers the mileage per se, but a new "X" owner is going to be putting his foot deep into it a LOT to enjoy the new power. It's the driver that really causes a hit in the mileage
Old 06-19-2009, 06:36 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

thats good to know about the mileage. i was always under the assumption that the X would drop mpg's even if driven conservatively. so the X is also road trip/travel friendly.... nice.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:49 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sancho805
thats good to know about the mileage. i was always under the assumption that the X would drop mpg's even if driven conservatively. so the X is also road trip/travel friendly.... nice.
I get around 27.5-28 mpg on the highway, and that's with 3.73's in the rear end.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:22 PM
Foreu2env
1st Gear Member

Why's ABQstang saying you need a built rear end when EVERYWHERE else i've read and every forum i've asked questions of.. never once said it was gonna be integral to build up the rear end?

Are you just saying for the benefit of the tlok specifically or can you point to someone with the stock rear end that blew up due to X usage?
Old 06-20-2009, 08:59 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

It's like this as far as the rearend goes:

A stock rear will be fine, and you're highly unlikely to damage it, BUT without some form of limited slip differential, and with the X's extra torque, it will be VERY easy to light up one tire. A limited slip is a great addition to ensure that you get the maximum "bang for the buck" from the "X"

as far as the 7.5" vs 8.8", either will work fine. I'm running the 7.5" with a Detroit Truetrac and it's been flawless for two + years and done everything I've asked it to without a whimper. That being said, if I was going to be at the track every weekend, running sticky slicks, etc, I'd probably go with the 8.8" because in that situation, you can't have enough extra strength.

Quick Reply: Super charger on a stock v6