Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

super charging questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 05:48 PM
black08mustang
2nd Gear Member

Default super charging questions

So i have been doing a lot of research and whatnot but i still have some questions. I was looking at the procharger kit for the v6, and was wondering if i did this what other major modifications would i have to have done. I know it comes with a tuner so i would get that from there. But do i need an 8.8 rear with gears and differential or an aluminum driveshaft or anything to support the supercharger, and also would you reccomend having a shop install it im not the most technical guy out there so is it hard and is anyone running this setup and how do they like it?
any information would be appreciated
Thanks
Old 06-18-2009, 06:27 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

You'll want gears and an limited slip differential (LSD) with a supercharger. LSD is not required, but you'll want it. I lean towards installing a take-off 8.8" versus rebuilding the 7.5" (I have a busted one sitting on my garage floor). You'll likely want to install LCA's too so that you can plant the newfound power to the ground without wheelhop.

If you're not mechanically inclined, then have a shop install it. Make sure you are running a good tune too.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:01 PM
black08mustang
2nd Gear Member

thanks for the information how much do you think an install would cost at a shop?...and it can run on the stock car for a while until i have money for the other parts.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:27 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Well, you've come to the right place!
An alternative to the procharger is the vortech; people swear by both, but do a search and you'll get different opinions on which is better. I went with a vortech because it was supposed to be more reliable and less likely to oil leaks.

As far as installation of the supercharger, it will depend on if you go with the 'HO' option (with intercooler) or not. But installation should cost no more than $1400, and that's even on the high side IMO.

If I would STRONGLY recommend, if you are getting someone to install it for you, get someone who knows how to custom tune the car with the supercharger on. Buy a "tuner kit", get the fuel injectors separate, and buy the tuner and tune from the person tuning your car. You'll get better performance, as the tune will be set up specific to your car and will perform better than a 'canned' tune in a full supercharger kit.

For rear end, the easiest and cheapest way to upgrade is to put an 8.8, taken off a GT or GT500, will give you a much stronger rear end that will be able to handle the supercharger. Most people buy one online from a takeoff parts site. But you can also often find one locally. You can do this before or after the supercharger install.

As far as alum. driveshaft, one is not required, but if you intend to really push the car at higher speeds, you'll need it.

FWIW, the more things you can do yourself, or with help from friends, the less it will cost and you'll learn more about your car.

While a supercharged V6 is a lot of fun, for the money, you might consider upgrading to a GT instead. I hate saying that, but if you have to pay for every little thing that you get done, it'll add up to a lot of labor costs over time.

Keep us informed
Old 06-19-2009, 03:42 PM
siberian.mist
4th Gear Member

i plan to get an 8.8 and aluminum driveshaft for mine, but not for awhile.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:12 PM
izzyocon
1st Gear Member

a friend of mine procharged his car with the 8-10 pound boost kit.
it took him 3 days to finish the install.
so i'd recommend that you take it to a good reputable shop
Old 06-21-2009, 04:15 PM
locorider21
1st Gear Member

i got a stage 1 procharger supercharger as well. Havent installed it yet.. but one question.. DO I HAVE to get an 8.8 rear end? Its really out of my price rang right now
Old 06-21-2009, 05:03 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

why would you want the procharger over the x-charger? the x-charger is better in many ways and it's the best selling kit for the v6 for a few reasons.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:19 PM
locorider21
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Legion5
why would you want the procharger over the x-charger? the x-charger is better in many ways and it's the best selling kit for the v6 for a few reasons.
let just say that i have a step brother who knows a guy who works for procharger and i got a REALLY REALLY REALY good price on it..
Old 06-21-2009, 05:53 PM
black08mustang
2nd Gear Member

ive looked at the x too its still up in the air...and the x looks like it has a little easier of an install to it?...but i still would have a shop install it...
do you think if i took my time me and my cousin would be able to do it he got a 92LX 4cyl that he swapped out the 4cyl to a 5.0, auto to a manual and 4 lug to 5 lug...he has quite a lot of experience under the hood of mustangs he had 4 previous ones that he always worked on would it be possible for me and him to do??

Last edited by black08mustang; 06-21-2009 at 05:59 PM.

Quick Reply: super charging questions