Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Let's talk dual exhaust...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 12:57 AM
txaggie582
1st Gear Member

Default Let's talk dual exhaust...

So I wanna get dual exhaust for my V6 Stang. I have a few questions to ask those who have already done it/to anybody who has knowledge about the subject. I don't want it to be cheap and I don't want it to be too expensive. I'm looking for more HP gains than sound. What type of pipe/brand should I get? Also how much would it roughly cost to get all of this done at a shop (that is cutting a hole in the bumper and doing all the mechanical work)? Help is appreciated.
Old 06-21-2009, 03:07 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Moving to the V6 section! They will be a great help!
Old 06-21-2009, 03:28 AM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Basic true dual exhaust gains 5 hp on the engine but it actually most likley makes you SLOWER this is a fact of the principles engineering here.

The v6 engine likes restrictive exhaust an expensive performance upgrade on the Corvette is to add a valve in the exhaust that makes it MORE restrictive at low revs because it boosts low end power and by doing so torque, the valve opens up top so you get free exhaust and torque at the same time. My car has a similar custom mod with 2 valves controlled by a computer and gained a few hp down low. The factory v6 piping seems to have a kink in it from what I've seen towards the back which is exactly the sort of thing that creates low end torque. Because of the engine's low horsepower the exhaust after the cats is already like a steam ship chimney for everything before it so it gains more than it looses from using tricks to increase back pressure. When you install duals, it's my understanding that you gain about 5 horsepower when your engine is making 210 and you loose 5 horsepower when your engine is making 60. This process is backed up by at least a dozen forum accounts AND the principle behind the issue.

Effect of true catback duals on daily driving (estimated as accurately as possible based on the facts, linearly):

2% more up top
-9% on the bottom
-3.5% overall loss in power to the groung.

Effect on racing:

2% more up top
-9% on the bottom
-1.5% overall loss in power to the ground.

For HP gains based on this information you're better off with a longtube header package. I've installed one on a v6 before, not too hard. I recommend kooks because it gave no trouble.

http://www.vetteweb.com/features/vem...tte/index.html
Old 06-21-2009, 09:31 AM
txaggie582
1st Gear Member

That's interesting... Will headers & installation be about the same amount of money as dual exhaust?
Old 06-21-2009, 09:46 AM
4.0 $tang
2nd Gear Member

any long tube set-up is gonna hit you in the wallet really hard....whether you go with Stainless Works, Mac, or Kooks you are looking at needing to get high flow cats because you need to relocate the stock ones...i would say at least $1k or more
Old 06-21-2009, 12:34 PM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

Originally Posted by Legion5
The v6 engine likes restrictive exhaust an expensive performance upgrade on the Corvette is to add a valve in the exhaust that makes it MORE restrictive at low revs because it boosts low end power and by doing so torque, the valve opens up top so you get free exhaust and torque at the same time. My car has a similar custom mod with 2 valves controlled by a computer and gained a few hp down low. The factory v6 piping seems to have a kink in it from what I've seen towards the back which is exactly the sort of thing that creates low end torque. Because of the engine's low horsepower the exhaust after the cats is already like a steam ship chimney for everything before it so it gains more than it looses from using tricks to increase back pressure. When you install duals, it's my understanding that you gain about 5 horsepower when your engine is making 210 and you loose 5 horsepower when your engine is making 60. This process is backed up by at least a dozen forum accounts AND the principle behind the issue.
So you're saying that a better-flowing aftermarket muffler would be a waste because anything after the cats is already wide open. If that were the case then why are people seeing 5-8rwhp gains from adding a better single muffler over the V6 stocker? I see what you're trying to say, but I don't think your Corvette example adequately makes your point.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:07 PM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 28HopUp
So you're saying that a better-flowing aftermarket muffler would be a waste because anything after the cats is already wide open. If that were the case then why are people seeing 5-8rwhp gains from adding a better single muffler over the V6 stocker? I see what you're trying to say, but I don't think your Corvette example adequately makes your point.
Peak horsepower of the rear wheel or crank kind lies to you. A 200 hp electric motor can beat a 300 hp gas motor, a 540 hp centri supercharger will loose to a 500 hp twin screw in most mustang applications, and the 435 hp Roushcharger is quicker than the 465 hp Saleen Supercharger.

Adding a single GT muffler is different from duals because that won't mess with the tuned portion of the midpipe. It's tuned because it's designed to create turbulence mainly at a certain flow rate, ie when the gas passes by it at for example 40 mph vs 80 mph.

I said removing the tricks featured in the stock exhaust takes away more than adding free flowing mufflers would. You're talking about keeping the midpipe and adding a muffler which involves no trade offs. Unfortunately +8 peak RWHP for gt take off mufflers sounds like a stretch so I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Last edited by Legion5; 06-21-2009 at 06:11 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:54 AM
txaggie582
1st Gear Member

Well, let's say I just take it to the shop and tell them to throw on the pipe that will give me the biggest HP gain and throw on the loudest mufflers they got. How much will it cost? Will it sound good?
Old 06-22-2009, 09:47 AM
4.0 $tang
2nd Gear Member

just get a dual conversion kit of your choice....go on youtube and listen to the different exhausts that are available...i got pypes tru dual exhaust with Violator mufflers...my friends say i sound a bit like a 350z...most people agree that a H pipe is better for sound and X pipe is better for performance...that is why i went with Pypes X pipe and full exhaust

Last edited by 4.0 $tang; 06-22-2009 at 09:49 AM.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:44 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Ford Racing makes a dual exhaust kit for the v6, it is tuned by Ford to work specifically on the V6.

There have been several members who have dyno'd a few hp higher from dual exhaust (dyno results vary) but don't expect anymore than 5 rwhp from any dual setup.

I find it hard to believe Legion would say "ALL" dual exhausts on a V6 makes you lose HP, because there have been many accounts of people disproving that from these forums as well.

Back on subject, many people here recommend the FRPP dual exhaust kit.

Quick Reply: Let's talk dual exhaust...