Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

nasty annoying grinding rattle noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 03:33 PM
kidrobotzero
1st Gear Member

Default nasty annoying grinding rattle noise

ok sorry to bring this back up but does anyone have a tsb for this for a auto transmission.
i got the one for a stick gt here
http://www.2005stang.com/gallery/alb...SB_08-2-10.pdf
and this rattle has been bothering me for sometime now and really want to get rid of it.
it sounds like its coming from under the shifter.
also if this helps it starts more when i have the ac on and it helps it go away if i put it in nuetral. also if its cold out it makes more noise.
thanks

Last edited by kidrobotzero; 06-24-2009 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:26 PM
rls82959
3rd Gear Member

I have that TSB at home. I'll reply later tonight. You put large screw down hose clamps on the tranny crossmember exhaust hangers. The round black plastic things that hold up the exhaust. Your noise sounds exactly like mine. It worked for me.
EDIT: I'll bet it got worse when you put duals on.

Last edited by rls82959; 06-24-2009 at 04:32 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:53 PM
kidrobotzero
1st Gear Member

i actually never had the sound happen to me till about 8 months ago and ive had the duals on for almost 3 years now. but im from san diego where the weather is normal but ive been living in dallas for the past 10 months. it started happening id say around fall or winter of 08 when it was around freezing temperatures here. it was worse on cold starts and gradually went from loud to barely there. but now its averaging 100degres here and cant live without the ac which when i turn it on it makes it worse but i still the sound is still there just not as bad when its off. and it doesn't sound as bad when i put it in neutral.

so if i was to take the tsb note to the a dealership they'll fix it or whats the process?
thanks again
Old 06-24-2009, 04:53 PM
Sancho805
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rls82959
... EDIT: I'll bet it got worse when you put duals on.
and it gets fixed when you put headers on
Old 06-24-2009, 07:33 PM
rls82959
3rd Gear Member

Here's the TSB that fixed me up.
http://www.stangnet.com/images/stori...SBs/06-4-1.pdf
I fixed mine myself. I suppose you can take it to the dealer if you want to.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:18 AM
kidrobotzero
1st Gear Member

thanks a lot rls82959

since fixing it have you heard it creep back or anything?
Old 06-25-2009, 12:41 PM
rls82959
3rd Gear Member

It's been quiet ever since. I retightened the clamps after a couple weeks. On mine, I could push in on the plastic under the AC switch and that would kinda quiet the rattle. I stuffed insulation in there, but that didn't work. This TSB fixed it though. I didn't think it would. Sounds like the same rattle. I hope this fixes it for you.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:40 PM
Silver Vert 06
2nd Gear Member

It sounds like I have this same exact rattle. I was going to take apart the center console to see if something was loose, but I'm gonna give that TSB a try. It looks a lot easier than tearing apart my interior and dashboard lol.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:46 PM
Hicompression
2nd Gear Member

Thumbs up Flexplate Cover

My automatic console rattle was actually coming up through the console and was a result of the transmission bell-housing flexplate cover. The cover has foam strips all around it and they compress with time. There are two bolts holding it on. You can loosen the two bolts and push up on the flexplate cover (the bolt holes in the cover are notched vertically). This compresses the foam again and keeps the cover from rattling.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:16 AM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Hicompression
My automatic console rattle was actually coming up through the console and was a result of the transmission bell-housing flexplate cover. The cover has foam strips all around it and they compress with time. There are two bolts holding it on. You can loosen the two bolts and push up on the flexplate cover (the bolt holes in the cover are notched vertically). This compresses the foam again and keeps the cover from rattling.
Interesting... I've had a nasty grinding/tinny rattle noise for some time now. Warm or cold.. it happens from about 78-83 mph. I've removed the exhaust hangers.. heat shields.. re torqued the cross-member bolts.. etc.. I'll give this a try. Is the flexplate cover a thin piece of metal (unlike the spacer plate)? If it is.. I think I know what your talking about.

Quick Reply: nasty annoying grinding rattle noise