Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Seeking MPG Info., Advice, Suggestions, -Focus? Fusion?? Milan??? NOT NECESSARILY!

Old 07-24-2009, 10:25 AM
ABQstang89
3rd Gear Member

Most of us dont worry about gas milage much at all but that does not mean you don't have to. There are mods you can do to get better gas milage such as CAI+tune and UDPS. But like said they are relatively expensive for the gains. If you don't drive her like a bat out of hell ALL the time the gas milage won't kill you.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:09 PM
Arsenal of Democracy

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Nuke
Let's see if I understand this right...

You're worried about fuel mileage and you're thinking about a Mustang, regardless if it's a V6 or GT, that even used will most likely run you $15,000 - $25,000??? Considering the fuel mileage that the GT gets if you drive reasonable (I can get 26 MPG highway if I keep below 70 MPH and that's pump-to-pump, hand calculated). The V6 gets roughly 2-3 MPG better than the GT; not really a big gain in anyone's book. There are NO mods that provide any reasonable gains especially if you take into consideration the time for payback based on the price of the mod.

If you absolutely MUST have an economy car that gets on average 30+ MPG, you need to think in a different direction.

Personally, I didn't buy my Stang for it's economy. I bought it for the wood it gives me every time I get behind the wheel.
Personally, I've always sought (and assure you that I will continue to seek) my "wood" elsewhere - but thanks just the same.

Actually, I don't think you did understand it right.

I'm simply looking at options...trying to talk myself into the purchase - and MPG's are absolutely a consideration for me - as they should fit into some part of the equation of all True Americans (considering the Chinese already own us, technically, and the Saudi's [among others] are just standing in line lickin' their chops). Never said I; "absolutely MUST have an economy car that gets on average 30+ MPG..." ???

I'm not suggesting anyone not enjoy them self - on the contrary. But if you're simply looking for horses, I'd strongly suggest something designed and built in the 1960's (been there/done that - got the driving record). If it's a daily-driver you'd do not only yourself, but the nation a TREMENDOUSLY HUGE favor by looking to conserve fuel "where/when you can" (90%, 75%...50% of your drive time??).

Frankly 2-3 MPG's IS A GAIN - so it's worth mentioning in MY "book". And personally I would NOT so much be looking at the "time for payback" on fuel-saving mods as I would a long-term cumulative effect (and even if a combination of mods were stacked-up to achieve a mere 2-3 mpg's - that would be a good thang as far as I'm concerned ) - as I intend to keep the vehicle long-term...very long term.

Virtually everyone here has helped with testaments in the upper 20's for highway mileage. And that's what's really most important in the long-run, and in this thread.

Thanks...

Last edited by Arsenal of Democracy; 07-24-2009 at 03:31 PM.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:15 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Once school starts again I'll be driving back home on the weekends, about an hour drive. So far, like I said, I get about 26-27mpg with my top down (haven't made any long trips with the top up yet). This is almost on par with my 2.8L v6 Passat but much better than my 4.0L W8 Passat. For a daily driver, I think the mixture of fuel economy and performance is awesome. I get good mileage on a cruise but when I open it up, I expect the drop in economy (which is still better than my W8 although not as fast). If you need talking in to, I can easily see 30mpg with temperate driving in a coupe with a manual and no mods. My v6 convertible is an auto so I am losing 1-3mpg (depending on your driving/shifting style). I use to have a 99 VW Golf speed. EPA rated it at 32 mpg, my driving style got me 40 highway every tank.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:07 PM
Arsenal of Democracy

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JCON
Once school starts again I'll be driving back home on the weekends, about an hour drive. So far, like I said, I get about 26-27mpg with my top down (haven't made any long trips with the top up yet). This is almost on par with my 2.8L v6 Passat but much better than my 4.0L W8 Passat. For a daily driver, I think the mixture of fuel economy and performance is awesome. I get good mileage on a cruise but when I open it up, I expect the drop in economy (which is still better than my W8 although not as fast). If you need talking in to, I can easily see 30mpg with temperate driving in a coupe with a manual and no mods. My v6 convertible is an auto so I am losing 1-3mpg (depending on your driving/shifting style). I use to have a 99 VW Golf speed. EPA rated it at 32 mpg, my driving style got me 40 highway every tank.
Thanks JCON - I really appreciate it - I was "almost" hoping somebody would talk me OUT of it...almost.

I just needed to hear from some folks who KNOW what they're talkin' about, that's all. Just a li'l reassurance.

Thanks again!
Old 07-25-2009, 11:16 AM
wynsboy

I have a bone stock 2005 auto. I live in the country with 2-lane roads and go about 60. i can not get more than 20 mpg. When gas was high I still tried to baby it and I could not get any better mileage. My bro drives it now and he gets around 23 on the same road but he does not drive over 50. I dont know how people get over 25. I got 23 on a 200 mile trip to Boston on the highway and that was the best I ever saw.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:39 AM
maxshuty
4th Gear Member

Didn't read through this thread but...

I averaged on 100% highway driving 30MPG with a K&N Airfilter, and a new oil change, and tires with 30K miles on them. So with new tires that weren't worn down I probably would have averaged something like 31MPG.
Then if I would have bought a tuner and got an Economy tune I assume even more MPG!! A lot of people think these things are gas hogs but they really aren't unless you constantly have a lead foot... which is a problem because most of us do. In the city I get a lot worse, however. I average around 17MPG but thats really my own fault because I like accelerating faster than the average Joe.
Average of around: 24MPG?
I got the 100% highway driving average while sometimes going 80MPH or faster with the flow of traffic in some spots, and in others as slow as 55mph. It was on a 1200 mile roadtrip -- 18 hours of me driving 100% of the way lol.

Theres mods out there that will ruin or help MPG, it just depends on what your wallet can afford and what your personal likings are.