Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Anyone upgrade their factory Stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 08:30 AM
Elcameeeno
1st Gear Member

Default Anyone upgrade their factory Stereo?

If so, I need your old stocker. The body shop scratched mine up when they did the hail repair. They are going to replace it with an aftermarket unit and I just don't know if I want that.

So, if you have a 2008 single CD, non-shaker unit (With the chrome trim on the *****) you want to unload, let me know!

Help?!

TIA,

Jon
Old 08-08-2009, 09:20 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

I'm sure you can pick up a stock radio pretty easy, but why not let them get you a better aftermarket brand? You can check with Crutchfield.com to see what will fit in your Mustang. Might as well upgrade if they are prepared to pay for it.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:43 AM
Elcameeeno
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07 Stang
I'm sure you can pick up a stock radio pretty easy, but why not let them get you a better aftermarket brand? You can check with Crutchfield.com to see what will fit in your Mustang. Might as well upgrade if they are prepared to pay for it.
I am going to let them do it, but they are offering some single DIN Alpine unit. I am waiting on the model number.

The Alpine may be ok, but I have never cared for the look of most aftermarket units. Besides, I would lose the RDS and speed sensing functions both of which I really like. I want to have the option of reverting back to the factory unit. Maybe they will let me pay the difference and upgrade to something I like. I don't know...

In any event, I'd like to get a good factory base unit.

Anyone?!
Old 08-08-2009, 10:02 AM
funtimesalways
3rd Gear Member

alpine is pretty decent brand tho. i thought they had the RDS, maybe not.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:20 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Alpine is a great head unit. I had one in my '82 GT and love it! Definitely better than the stock radio Ford puts in and even better than the shaker units IMO.

Pioneer, Kenwood and JVC have good radios too. Like I said, check out Crutchfield.com
Old 08-08-2009, 11:33 AM
Sublime00
1st Gear Member

RDS is nice, but why not an HD-ready deck so you'll get station information in addition to CD-quality audio; installed a JVC double-din w/ HD receiver and it looks good in the dash, as well as sounds great driving. The RDS and speed-sense won't matter much at that point.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:25 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sublime00
RDS is nice, but why not an HD-ready deck so you'll get station information in addition to CD-quality audio; installed a JVC double-din w/ HD receiver and it looks good in the dash, as well as sounds great driving. The RDS and speed-sense won't matter much at that point.
I put a HD JVC in my work truck and I love it! It's nice you can remove the face plate to avoid theft too. Also comes with a remote which is great when you are in the back and want to crank it up.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:05 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Um, its been done just a few times...
Old 08-09-2009, 02:02 PM
HT
5th Gear Member

I would look into a LCD head unit. I have one and I love it. Personally, I think it looks awesome as well. I would agree, however, that a lot of the aftermarker head units are crap. I hate looking in someones car and seeing some blinged out chrome head unit...

Here are a few pics of mine...

I know, the screen is all smudged up in these pics. You can't tell when the unit is on but I cleaned it right after the pics. It's really easy to clean and it gets a lot of compliments...especially when you put in a new CD/DVD. The motorized screen drop effect gets them every time...
Old 08-09-2009, 04:31 PM
Elcameeeno
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ht11121991
I would look into a LCD head unit. I have one and I love it. Personally, I think it looks awesome as well. I would agree, however, that a lot of the aftermarker head units are crap. I hate looking in someones car and seeing some blinged out chrome head unit...

I know, the screen is all smudged up in these pics. You can't tell when the unit is on but I cleaned it right after the pics. It's really easy to clean and it gets a lot of compliments...especially when you put in a new CD/DVD. The motorized screen drop effect gets them every time...
That would be my first choice in an upgrade. I just don't see how the single DIN they are offering would look right. I want to do it right or not at all.

Quick Reply: Anyone upgrade their factory Stereo?