Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Crack/gap On Strut Tower - Best Approach To Fix??

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 08:24 PM
tblack

Default Crack/gap On Strut Tower - Best Approach To Fix??

My 2005 mustang has a crack on the driver side strut tower. I have never encountered this before. Do you think I can fix it by having it welded or should I get one of those strut tower repair caps? Any advice is much appreciated.

I assume it is unsafe to drive.
Attached Thumbnails Crack/gap On Strut Tower - Best Approach To Fix??-img_3335.jpg   Crack/gap On Strut Tower - Best Approach To Fix??-img_3338.jpg  
Old 07-23-2017, 08:46 PM
WindyMustang
2nd Gear Member

Yeouch! If you look up from underneath, is there a lot of rust? If there isn't then a good welder *should* be able to build that back up for you. It may require a piece of donor material (like a patch) put on from the underside and welded in to make it structurally strong again. I'd call this one fixable but not an easy fix.

How'd this one happen anyway? Regular wear and tear or was something hit?
Old 07-23-2017, 09:07 PM
tblack

Thanks - there is no rust whatsover - I think it happened because the car is lowered
Old 07-24-2017, 01:26 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Maybe it's the picture but I've seen bondo work before and that looks like someone repaired a previous rust hole.

Are you the original owner? To me, that looks like Bondo work that has cracked and broken away. I see what looks like sanding marks as well where the bondo was smoothed out to the match the contour of the strut tower. Those marks are above the damaged area. The white line kind of in the middle of the damage that curves away from the damaged area and goes to the top of the tower would be a bondo seam.

Last edited by Derf00; 07-24-2017 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:40 PM
bud636
1st Gear Member

Checked mine out, what a spot for a crack to appear?