Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

IMPORTANT! Dual exhausts and fuel tank TSB

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 03:25 AM
flapjack
I ♥ Acer

Default IMPORTANT! Dual exhausts and fuel tank TSB

Today has been quite an experience. A few of you will remember I had true dual Flowmaster 40's installed a few weeks ago. It was a great job, but it was 100% welded, no flanges.

I got a call from Ford last week letting me know all the parts to fix the fuel tank (shutting off), suspension (popping sounds) and new stereo (Skipper 1000) were in. I scheduled today to have all the work done.

A few hours after I dropped off the car, I got a call from the service rep saying there was no way they could remove the tank w/o cutting the exhaust. To make it worse, they would not weld it back on. So I would be have to bring my truck down to carry all the exhaust parts back to Meineke. I asked how much they were going to charge to cut the exhaust off, and they said $179!!! I was pissed. I told them I would bring my damn Sawzall down and do it myself. They said fine. I told the lady I'd call Meineke and call her back.

Meineke was cool. They said drive the car down there, and they'd cut it off professionally. They also would put it back together, this time with flanges... no charge. So I called back to Ford and the lady said that wasn't an option, because they had already been tearing the car apart for 2 hrs, and there was no way they were gonna put it back together for me to drive it down there. She then put me on hold. When she came back, she told me her service mgr authorized them to cut it w/o charging me, but I would still be responsible for getting it re-welded. Fine.

Anyways, to make a long story short, she called me around 4 to say it was done. Instead of cutting it, they dropped the rear-end which allowed them to take the entire exhaust off w/o cutting. No charge. However, the whole damn exhaust rattles like a box of bolts now, and they refused to fix it since they didn't charge me in the first place and it's aftermarket. I have an appointment at Meineke on Friday, and they're gonna fix it free of charge, and install an H-pipe for me for $60.

MORALE OF THE STORY: If you're having fuel tank troubles, get your warranty replacement before you get duals installed!
Old 07-07-2005, 06:33 AM
chrisc65
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: IMPORTANT! Dual exhausts and fuel tank TSB

Damn what a mess.

I don't want to say this but I have heard that after folks get the replacement tank the problem still persists...which is why I have not had the TSB done on mine. I have the problem probably 1/3 the time I fill up.

Let us know if you still have an issue.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:15 AM
jfrayzier
1st Gear Member

I have a V6. I had the fuel filling problem (only at one gas station, though). I had the tank replaced per the TSB and went directly back to that pump. I have not had a problem (anywhere, for that matter) since.

That's just my experience, though. Your mileage may vary.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:15 PM
flapjack
I ♥ Acer

Well, I'm hoping mine is fixed. I'm sure if I have problems again, the muffler shop will set it up so it's easier to take off. I'll just have to bring it there before the dealer starts tearing the car apart.
Old 07-07-2005, 07:43 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

Sorry to hear of the prob's.

==MORALE OF THE STORY: If you're having fuel tank troubles, get your warranty replacement before you get duals installed!==

Actually the moral of the story is to use flared & bolted connections at the mufflers. When I talked to Kevin at Clevenger, he mentioned to me that Ford states that connections to mufflers are NOT to be welded because of the adjacency to the fuel tank. I had completely forgotten about it until reading your post. It wasn't an issue with mine because I have GT take-offs which have the flare built in.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:36 PM
flapjack
I ♥ Acer

Hmmm, I'll have to look at that tomorrow. Not sure if it's welded at the mufflers or not...