Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New guy (warning: I am a car dunce)

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 12:43 AM
Biohazard

Default New guy (warning: I am a car dunce)

Sup guys, Ok I will get right down to it. I know NOTHING about cars! I have a V6 05 Mustang (laugh away, lol) and I am deploying for a year and I want to drop 15 to 17K into it perfromance wise and I need help! I google stuff and I dont really get what I am looking at.

If I put what I want to do can anyone lead me in the right direction or tell me that its not worth it or what I asked made no sence...thanks guys!

Engine: Crate engine? Can I get a V8 in my V6 car?
Exaust: Dual? Whats a good brand?
Tranny: Uh, I have a auto, how much if its even posible to get it Manual?
Turbo or Super charger: What are the differences?
Other stuff: My friend said thinks that get more air in gas into the engine are good, what am I looking for?
Old 08-18-2009, 06:10 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

If you want a lot of bang for your buck, go with the X Charger.
If you want to swap out for a V8 (since you are not car savy) buy a used Mustang GT.
Too many things will have to be done in order to be successful with an engine swap.

There was a group buy on the X Charger a while back. Here's the thread;

https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-0l...group-buy.html

This company sells them now;

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/pro...&utm_campaign=

Even with an X Charger I would opt to get an aluminum driveshaft.

Sseriously, if you have $15-17K to drop for performance, get a used GT.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:40 AM
jtstakelin
2nd Gear Member

Get a GT. And BTW we won't laugh at you having a V6. We have them too. And I have seen some fast V6's too.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:49 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Engine: Yes you can drop a V8 engine in, but it requires alot of work. If you don't know alot about cars, I would not recommend this route.

Exhaust: The FRPP V6 dual exhaust kit is a great one (but if you go the V8 route it is all different)

Tranny: You can get a manual transmission put in, that shouldn't be an issue.

S/C or Turbo: Both are F/I (Forces induction) the main difference is a supercharger requires a belt driven power, and a turbo requires exhaust driven power. I would recommend the X-Charger, but there are others out there.

Other: The more air you can get into your engine, the more HP, but with more air into the engine, you need more gas also. Don't worry so much about that if you stick with a S/C or Turbo, the tune will handle those items.

Other items you will want is a better rear end, gears, wheels, driveshaft, springs & shocks.

If it were me, I would look into the x-charger route because for 15k you could completely deck out your car, Supercharger, looks, and suspension.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:50 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Originally Posted by jtstakelin
Get a GT. And BTW we won't laugh at you having a V6. We have them too. And I have seen some fast V6's too.
No one ever laughs at my V6. Even my GT friends know my car is quicker than thiers
Old 08-18-2009, 07:56 AM
GeritGoul
3rd Gear Member

dude..sell your v6 and buy an 03-04 cobra for 15k and youll have all that money left over to upgrade that...and i would be fuggin jealous as hell
Old 08-18-2009, 09:21 AM
killdar
2nd Gear Member

I xcharged my stang, prob spent 5k on the supercharger and supporting mods
if your looking to drop as much as you are id buy a used gt, and youll prob have enough left to order a cai/tune for the gt
then you can start saving up to supercharge the gt
Old 08-18-2009, 10:12 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

If you truly have $15k - $17k to drop, sell the V6 and look for a used GT500 (aspirated) OR a used GT and THEN aspirate it. Trying to get your V6 up to snuff will include a good bit of suspension work and some body changes. Cut your losses and start fresh.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:53 AM
ABQstang89
3rd Gear Member

If your goal is to not learn about cars and just end up with a fast car just trade in for an older cobra IMO. A trade for a GT is not a bad option either. IF I had that kind of money to drop into my car I would do a 5.4 liter engine swap, the one thats in the current gt500's. That would take a tremendous amount of work on your part and probably some out sourcing to a good local shop when you get back. IMO this is a great opportunity for you to learn about your car since you have the cash to do some cool things with it.

If you want to do FI I would go with a turbo, there are 6ers with turbos that are around 400 hp. You can get a kit for around 5k and be ready to go minus install and tune. If you went turbo you would need a custom exhaust.

If you go with a supercharger the X is a good product. There are others though so do your research. Plenty of information available on this forum and others like it. You could get any dual exhaust kit with this route. Listen to some youtube videos and try and make a decision on what you think sounds the best.

As far as suspension goes take a look around at other peoples cars and what they went with. Drops are different some more extreme than others and will require more parts the farther you go. Yet again do your research on that.

Ask a lot of questions and use the search function when in doubt. An impulsive buy on a mod usually leads to one that you will regret. There are plenty of people that will help you if you ask. Good luck modding your car or trading it in.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:33 PM
Ken04
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Biohazard
Sup guys, Ok I will get right down to it. I know NOTHING about cars! I have a V6 05 Mustang (laugh away, lol) and I am deploying for a year and I want to drop 15 to 17K into it perfromance wise and I need help! I google stuff and I dont really get what I am looking at.

If I put what I want to do can anyone lead me in the right direction or tell me that its not worth it or what I asked made no sence...thanks guys!

Engine: Crate engine? Can I get a V8 in my V6 car?
Exaust: Dual? Whats a good brand?
Tranny: Uh, I have a auto, how much if its even posible to get it Manual?
Turbo or Super charger: What are the differences?
Other stuff: My friend said thinks that get more air in gas into the engine are good, what am I looking for?
your options are endless and the only limiting factor is how fast can you afford. You could do a 4.6 swap, a 5.4 swap, heck you could swap in an LS1 with the amount of aftermarket parts that are out there today.

So first you'll need to decide what you want. Do you want an extremely quick car running a V6 ? Less weight on the nose, way less parts involved than if you swap motors. Personally I'd go with an X-charger, a good tune and some quality suspension updates and you'd have a heck of a nice car. Add a few body mods to make it your own and you'll have a sweet car.

If you're indeed a 'car dunce' (and everyone is at first) fabricating a turbo will be tough, but not as tough as swapping motors.

A supercharger force feeds air into a motor with a belt drive. A turbocharger forces air into a motor with exhaust gasses. You have to be able to add fuel with either system. Take a 4 liter engine, force in the equivalent of 6 liters of air and the corresponding fuel mixture and you'll make roughly the same power as a naturally aspirated 6 liter engine.

A nice supercharger will not overwhelm your current V6 stock engine and give you a good amount of horsepower. You'll have to upgrade your drivetrain a bit, and you'll want to upgrade your suspension and chassis a bit to be able to take advantage of that power.

Quick Reply: New guy (warning: I am a car dunce)