Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Help me decide - Which SCOOP SIDE??

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 02:25 PM
demas
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xeno
iirc, there are bolts on the scoops. so you use a template to drill into your car to match where the bolts on the scoops are, and install that way. it's more complicated, but that guarantees they won't fall off.
this is from their offical website:http://www.dgcustomauto.com/product....&categoryId=89

does it say something about it?
if i need to drill for this i wont even consider this one.. thanks man
Old 08-23-2009, 02:33 PM
Xeno
'Dr. X'

^^ those use 3m tape only; so if drilling isn't your thing, those or any of the other scoops (3dcarbon ) are the way to go. 3m is pretty strong stuff, so if you correctly prep the area it sticks to, you shouldn't have any problems getting it to hold.

i personally like bolting things to my car just so i know they won't come off. i have some blackout panels that are installed using 3m only, and so far, they are still holding strong. but i have had things in the past that were installed only with 3m and didn't hold very well (even with correct prepping).
Old 08-23-2009, 02:39 PM
demas
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xeno
^^ those use 3m tape only; so if drilling isn't your thing, those or any of the other scoops (3dcarbon ) are the way to go. 3m is pretty strong stuff, so if you correctly prep the area it sticks to, you shouldn't have any problems getting it to hold.

i personally like bolting things to my car just so i know they won't come off. i have some blackout panels that are installed using 3m only, and so far, they are still holding strong. but i have had things in the past that were installed only with 3m and didn't hold very well (even with correct prepping).
ahh ok thanks man, its good all the 3 options are only with 3m
i try to go with 3d carbon maybe they loook goood, hope i`ll find fair price for painting and shipping for me... i want to get them ready to install because nobody can paint them in here for me i guess.
more opinions?
Old 08-23-2009, 03:08 PM
Xeno
'Dr. X'

here are a couple of sites that sell the 3dcarbon scoops pre-painted. all you'll need to do is select the color you want, and they'll send them to you all ready to go

http://www.lmperformance.com/6012/73.html

http://www.haneymotorsport.com/Musta...e%20Scoops.htm (scroll down to find them)
Old 08-23-2009, 03:33 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

The Ford scoops don't use bolts, they do have 2 plastic pins that go into inserts that get drilled into the quarter panels, along with 3M tape. They can also be installed with just the tape by unclipping the pins from their brackets.

As far as the comment about side scoops being "non-functional and ruining the lines of the car" that doesn't stop Shelby from using them on a $100K+ Super Snake, and most Mustang fans think those cars look rather ok. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as always, and LOTS of things on a car are "non-functional". Nice chrome or stainless exhaust tips are no more "functional" than an unfinished piece of plain pipe, but I think most of us would rather have a nicely finished exhaust for instance.

Last edited by Torch_Vert; 08-23-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:59 PM
legendlime05
4th Gear Member

i have the xenon ones. never had an issues with them coming off. i love em to boot.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:30 PM
obxdude018
3rd Gear Member

I have #3 on your list with the Roush window louvers and it looks awesome, you couldn't go wrong with any of them though.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:48 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

My wheelskin side scoops like like the 3D's. Been on with the 3M tape for almost 2 years and 30,000 miles and still solid as a rock.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:37 AM
demas
1st Gear Member

i went with the 3d carboon, can somebody helps with the installation?
from ur experience
Old 08-24-2009, 12:19 PM
Xeno
'Dr. X'

(i'm not sure how the scoops come, but this is how i always install parts with 3m tape)

it will probably come with a prep/cleaner pad (the cleaner is usually isopropyl alcohol); make sure to clean the area where the tape will stick to very well first, then peel back just the corner of the tape's backing (usually red plastic) so you can just see it when you 'mount the scoop (this is so you can make sure the scoops are aligned right before it sticks 'permanently'). when you feel it is aligned right, pull back the remaining plastic backing on the tape (carefully), then press on the scoop along the edges (or wherever else the tape would be sticking to the car) to make sure it sticks. then you are done

Quick Reply: Help me decide - Which SCOOP SIDE??