Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Which Exhaust?

Old 07-12-2005, 11:57 AM
MHShockey30
2nd Gear Member

Default Which Exhaust?

I was wondering which exhaust would give me the sound of a V8, and better performance as well. Would the Magnaflow dual exhaust, or the JBA Evol Dual Exhaust give me what I'm looking for in my V6? Or is there another exhaust that would give me more performance and better sound? [sm=feedback.gif]
Old 07-12-2005, 12:12 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Which Exhaust?

The magnaflow has a nice sound, but if you want loud and deep then Flowmaster 40's or Super 40's will get you the loudest effect. There have been serveral posts on this forum about going to a dual configuration with Flowmasters. I know Meinike will do it, but check your gas tank. Make sure its working before you go with the Flowmasters. Most places will use welded pipes to put them on. When I took my car to Meinike last week for an estimate, they said they would use welded pipes.

If you go with Magnaflows or JBA, then it's a kit install and the pipes are easy to remove if you have the gas tank issue. Your best bet is to listen to some clips. Look around the posts here, I think there is a link to some sound clips. It all depends on what you like. I personally am going with magnaflows cause I want the deep sound, but don't want super loud. Also, headers and a CAI will also help your exhaust sound good.

I'm new to the forum, but check around. There are some sharp people on here that give good advice. If you go with an exhaust you should also go with a CAI and a tune to avoid any power loss or back pressue issues. The Magnaflow and JBA kits don't have back pressue issues cause they use a Y pipe. Howerver, JBA just came out with a true dual kit and I am not sure what the story is on that one. If you live in the DC metro area I can refer you to an awesome Mustang Mech.

Good luck.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:19 PM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

JBA duals are going on today (the GT bumper went on last night and looks fantastic!)... I'll post sound clips this evening.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:29 PM
ChristopherCamel
2nd Gear Member

i wouldnt do dual since i dont feel like cutting the bumper and all that
Old 07-12-2005, 01:10 PM
MHShockey30
2nd Gear Member

Ok, I was planning on getting JBA headers and the Magnaflow exhaust. Would the 2005 Mustang V6 JBA Cat4ward® Shorty Headers found on www.v6mustangstuff.com be ok if I was planning on running Magnaflow exhaust? What issue were you talking about with the gas tank?
Old 07-12-2005, 06:00 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

You should be fine with the JBA headers and the Magnaflows. I've seen several people here with that combination. Here is a link to the forum on the gas tank issue:

https://mustangforums.com/m_558308/tm.htm
Old 07-12-2005, 08:57 PM
flapjack
I ♥ Acer

They're cheaper at summitracing.com

ORIGINAL: rygenstormlocke

You should be fine with the JBA headers and the Magnaflows. I've seen several people here with that combination. Here is a link to the forum on the gas tank issue:

https://mustangforums.com/m_558308/tm.htm
Old 07-14-2005, 11:25 AM
CainMotorsports2102
3rd Gear Member

the magnaflow rep at work sponsored me a magnaflow axle back for my v6. it sounds great and is cheap and takes 5 minutes to install. the biggest pain in the **** was getting the old one off. it has a throaty but not abnoxious sound that will not and cannot be mistaken as a "import car"
Old 07-14-2005, 11:34 AM
GIDDEUP
2nd Gear Member

I'm sorry, but this is the only thing keeping me from going w/ the Magnaflow's Sound Clip You can't tell me that does not sound like an import exhaust.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:16 PM
CainMotorsports2102
3rd Gear Member

yeah that doesnt sound import at all dude. it has a little crackle but the deal is when you have a v6 the power band is so diffrent then a v8 you are never, never going to get it to sound as deep as a v8 at high rpms. theres just not enough displacement so the exhaust valves open and close alot faster to make the power. the sound clip is close to how it sounds but not exactly. mine idles rerally deep right now, but it isnt abnoxious. ive actually had my car next to a gt and it is not only louder then the new gt but alot deeper as well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which Exhaust?