Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Just picked up a set of Roush Rear Shocks, got a question..

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 09:25 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Avalanch3
So I just picked up a set of rear shocks off of a Stage 3 Roush (They are not the blue ones like from the stage 2, they are the red ones off a stage 3).

So I also picked up a set (all 4) of lowering springs from ground force. Lowers about 1.1 inch front, 1.3 in the back, so not too much.

I want to just install the rear components for now (Roush shocks and rear lowering springs) since my front struts are OEM. I have three questions now:

1) If I just replace the back components, will it make my cornering unstable because the front ones are unchanged?
It will make the handling "looser" at least on corner entry through mid-corner - at least think "easier to steer the car with the throttle" here. How much so depends on too many other things for me to even guess at (old front and new vs old rear spring rates, age/mileage on front struts, front and rear sta-bar sizes, how hard you actually take corners, how you drive when (if?) you do, are the easy ones). The one thing that *might* be working in your favor is that this is a V6 car, where you have somewhat less power to get yourself into trouble with while you are cornering. Emphasis on the word "might".

2) When I change the front struts, I can't find a set of Stage 3 Roush struts because no one sells them. I looked at the stage 2 roush struts but they seem wayy too expensive. I looked at Steeda's non adjustable front struts, but will two different company shocks and struts make them not work at their full potential?
Front struts are normally a good bit pricier than shocks or rear struts. I'm not crazy about suggesting that you should mix and match struts/shocks as a "permanent" setup either, though adjustable struts would at least give you some hope of getting to a closer combination if you flat-out can't find Roush "red" struts anywhere (including Roush, direct).

If you were to install only the rear parts and the car has quite a few miles on it, you may be in for a slightly pitchy ride, with the rear feeling fairly well planted down and the front feeling like it's bobbing up/down more than you're accustomed to.

3) Will it be too stiff if with this setup?
The stiffer springs and to some extent the struts/shocks will make it ride more firmly over "smooth" heaves/dips in the road. "Stiff-legged", perhaps. I don't know nearly enough about the shocks/struts to be able to say whether they'd feel harsher than stock over small, sharp bumps or concrete pavement expansion joints. Nor do I know anything about your own preferences in this, whether they're more or less tolerant than my own.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 10-05-2009 at 09:32 AM.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:10 PM
Avalanch3
4th Gear Member

Thanks Norm, very good explanation.

Odyssey - The reason why I am not going with Tokico is because if I went with them, I would need the D-Specs and they usually are sold as a kit. Each front strut is sold $200 separately and that is a bit too pricey.

I decided to wait to put anything on until I get the front Struts from Roush. The stage 2 ones will do because both are "race inspired" so I do not see much of a problem.

After this I am ordering myself some new shoes, some Falken 452 tires since my OEM ones are crap.