Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Just picked up a set of Roush Rear Shocks, got a question..

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 06:09 PM
Avalanch3
4th Gear Member

Default Just picked up a set of Roush Rear Shocks, got a question..

So I just picked up a set of rear shocks off of a Stage 3 Roush (They are not the blue ones like from the stage 2, they are the red ones off a stage 3).

So I also picked up a set (all 4) of lowering springs from ground force. Lowers about 1.1 inch front, 1.3 in the back, so not too much.

I want to just install the rear components for now (Roush shocks and rear lowering springs) since my front struts are OEM. I have three questions now:

1) If I just replace the back components, will it make my cornering unstable because the front ones are unchanged?

2) When I change the front struts, I can't find a set of Stage 3 Roush struts because no one sells them. I looked at the stage 2 roush struts but they seem wayy too expensive. I looked at Steeda's non adjustable front struts, but will two different company shocks and struts make them not work at their full potential?

3) Will it be too stiff if with this setup?
Old 10-02-2009, 09:18 PM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

1.) You will notice a big difference if you just replace the rear and not the front. It can cause some cornering issues, but as long as you are not autox'ing you should be fine. (I would install all 4 spring and rear shocks, I did that and was fine.)

2.) Mixing and matching struts/shocks can have a negative impact, but isn't always a bad thing, as long as you can get two types that are close to the same specs you should be ok. I would think any decent front strut (eibach, tokico, frpp, etc) you will be fine with the roush rear shocks.

3.) I am running FRPP springs and tokico d-specs, and I have my d-specs set pretty firm and it isn't bad at all. You will however love the handling over your stock setup for sure.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:34 PM
Avalanch3
4th Gear Member

How bouncy was it having OEM struts with lowering springs? And how easy was your DIY install?

Also is it just as easy changing lowering spring from OEM shocks to new front shocks?
Old 10-03-2009, 08:36 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

The rear shocks/springs is so easy it is criminal to even pay someone to do it. I mean seriously, jack the car up, undo the bottom bolt and it practically falls off.

The front struts is not as easy, but still a DIY, you just need to rent a spring compressor which looks like this:

and there are a few more bolts on the front, but as long as you can get them off, it is the same process on the front.

Last edited by ODDYSEY; 10-03-2009 at 08:38 AM.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:47 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

I can see a lot of understeer/oversteer with stage3 on the rear and OEM up front.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:06 PM
heartinacage
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ODDYSEY
The rear shocks/springs is so easy it is criminal to even pay someone to do it. I mean seriously, jack the car up, undo the bottom bolt and it practically falls off.

The front struts is not as easy, but still a DIY, you just need to rent a spring compressor which looks like this:

and there are a few more bolts on the front, but as long as you can get them off, it is the same process on the front.
Couldn't agree more. None of it is hard, just time consuming if you don't have everything you need to install them.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:54 PM
Avalanch3
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157db
I can see a lot of understeer/oversteer with stage3 on the rear and OEM up front.
Would the Steeda Non-adjustable Front Struts change that?
Old 10-04-2009, 11:22 AM
legendlime05
4th Gear Member

imo I say keep it to a set. Mixing and matching isnt really a good thing. some components could counter act the other if the differences are big enough.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:52 AM
Avalanch3
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by legendlime05
imo I say keep it to a set. Mixing and matching isnt really a good thing. some components could counter act the other if the differences are big enough.
Well, I don't have access to Stage 3 Front Struts so I have to find an alternative option.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:32 AM
ODDYSEY
Site Moderator of Fury!

Why not just go with the Tokico's?

Quick Reply: Just picked up a set of Roush Rear Shocks, got a question..