Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Bought a 2007 V6, looking for interior upgrades and new brakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 01:55 AM
Chris45215

Default Bought a 2007 V6, looking for interior upgrades and new brakes

Background: I bought a used 2007 V6 mustang around 6 months ago, but have done limited driving. Bought it with 32k miles on it, and am only at 35k miles. However, it used to be a rental car, so I expect the brakes may have been well used in its earlier life.

I am looking for some rather basic interior upgrades, but figured it would be best to ask the experts (you guys) for your thoughts.

First, a new rearview mirror with a compass and extra lights, like the one here. However, that seems extremely expensive. Is there any way to get a more reasonably priced one?

Second, I want to replace the fake chrome around the air vents with real chrome, or at least something that has a more quality feel to it than the cheap painted plastic. Where can I get something like this?

Finally, the brakes recently started to whine a bit, so they probably need to be replaced. Naturally I want to upgrade. What do you guys recommend?

Thanks,
Old 10-05-2009, 01:56 PM
MNStang

My pony is also an 07 V6, former rental car. Drives great, but I'm also noticing very slight brake shimmies now, at 34k miles. Also interested in what you think, as well as what interior suggestions there are. Some I've thought of:

1) IUP Dash Kit
2) My Color dash lights upgrade
3) Leather seats upgrade..

Any other thoughts?

Daniel
Old 10-06-2009, 01:06 AM
Chris45215

Nice ideas. Mine came with leather seats, I insisted on it because I knew I would try to upgrade afterward - the downside was that it took 9 months for the exact car I wanted to go on sale (black, leather, V6 automatic, still under warranty).
If you have the money, have a professional re-upholsterer look at the seats for you, and you should get better results. You can have cloth seats replaced with OEM leather ones, at http://v6mustangstuff.com/2010seat_covers.htm
Just so you know, I can't vouch for any of these websites - I am still in the shopping phase.

For trim upgrades, I've considered the set at http://www.wooddash.com/item/FORD_Da...MUSTANG_2005_5
That is the setup for the automatic transmission. The steering wheel inserts are already in brushed chrome on my car, so that is the color I was considering, and it costs about $240 for the entire set of 16 pieces. There is a much cheaper set here, but I think they only have the satin nickel finish. You can also find some kits on ebay.

For interior lighting, I've considered the kit here. I love the idea of lighted cupholders. In fact, I downright love the interior in that picture.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:36 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

I too have an '007 but when I ordered mine, I got the leather and IUP package.

You can also buy embroidered head rest wraps like mine here;

I got them from;

http://www.granddesignmat.com/gallerymushrw.htm

You can also inexpensively add piping to the door. I painted mine to match the outside;

You can get stickers to spruce up the interior like I did here;

I got a guy to make me some stickers to cover up the warning sticker on the visors. I had him make mine in blue;

Check on eBay or your local Craigslist for dress up items. I picked this up for $10.00;

Old 10-06-2009, 01:48 PM
Ken04
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chris45215
Background: I bought a used 2007 V6 mustang around 6 months ago, but have done limited driving. Bought it with 32k miles on it, and am only at 35k miles. However, it used to be a rental car, so I expect the brakes may have been well used in its earlier life.

Finally, the brakes recently started to whine a bit, so they probably need to be replaced. Naturally I want to upgrade. What do you guys recommend?

Thanks,
best brake upgrade for the best price is to get GT front rotors and the caliper mounting plate. You can buy the entire thing from companies like Newtakeoff.com but the calipers are the same and if you buy just caliper mounts and GT rotors you don't have to bleed the brakes. The rears are the same with both models. You do have to have at least 17" wheels to run the GT brakes. If you don't have, or don't want to swap wheels a good set of pads will help alot with your stock rotors.

You didn't say which, if any package is on your car, is it a base model or a pony pkg ? With the PP you'd get a rear sway bar which are cheap to buy as a take-off and help the handling quite a bit.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:57 PM
kenny17
2nd Gear Member

07_Stang, I LOVE how you painted that door like that.. it looks amazing something so simple
Old 10-07-2009, 07:26 AM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kenny17
07_Stang, I LOVE how you painted that door like that.. it looks amazing something so simple
Thanks, it's called Welt or Piping. I can't find the address where I got it from but this guy sells it;

http://www.mrmikes.com/trimbright.htm